Before it was Rare Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Before it was Rare Bear

Great post, John. I don't have any Behenna shots of the center section from behind. My Behenna collection is limited -- I never had time to print it all and I don't think I got sent all his negs anyway. I just printed what was obviously important or interesting. You don't have a copy of that shot either?

So the fuselage was intact from the firewall back, but bent? Where was the major damage -- in the rear fuselage or center section? There was wing spar damage too, wasn't there?

Didn't Richard Tracy have input into designing the engine mount? Dell Rourk talks about both Bill and Dr. Tracy being involved in its design at that point...

Neal

Comment

If this were a book, it would be an air race fans dream.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
        Great post, John. I don't have any Behenna shots of the center section from behind. My Behenna collection is limited -- I never had time to print it all and I don't think I got sent all his negs anyway. I just printed what was obviously important or interesting. You don't have a copy of that shot either?

So the fuselage was intact from the firewall back, but bent? Where was the major damage -- in the rear fuselage or center section? There was wing spar damage too, wasn't there?

Didn't Richard Tracy have input into designing the engine mount? Dell Rourk talks about both Bill and Dr. Tracy being involved in its design at that point...

Neal
        After Lyle passed away several items of his were stolen. Included among those items were his picture collection of the Bearcat's build up by Pete Behenna. There were eight volumes of invaluable pictures. I know some of those items have made their way out into the hands of collectors because I have been told that so and so has this item, and so and so has that item.
        John Slack

Comment

Deleted.
          Last edited by knot4u; 05-11-2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
            If this were a book, it would be an air race fans dream.
            Would be nice to see something like that come out of this.. We've never done a book, unsure of fees and such, suspect that as with all air race stuff, the audience is limited thus is the market for any product out of it..

Hopefully this little electronic field of play which seems to have dragged in some pretty cool players will satiate the need... come back often LOL!!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
              Would be nice to see something like that come out of this.. We've never done a book, unsure of fees and such, suspect that as with all air race stuff, the audience is limited thus is the market for any product out of it..

Hopefully this little electronic field of play which seems to have dragged in some pretty cool players will satiate the need... come back often LOL!!
              Answers like the last one are forcing me to dig a little deeper, don't worry I am going back in to the caves of the past. C'Ya soon.
              John Slack

Comment

In the meanwhile I'll post another Pete Behenna photo or two. So back in 1969 Lyle had an airplane shell, a remarkable crew coalescing, and parts coming in from around the country. He still needed an engine. According to Dell Rourk, Lyle went to see George Byard at Aircraft Cylinder and Turbine in Sun Valley, Ca.

AC&T had an old R3350 in the open out back of the shop -- it was scheduled for salvage and had been sitting back there in the weather with no plugs or stacks and rainwater in the cylinders. George donated the engine to Lyle's project. George Putman cleaned out the sticks, birdsnests, and other crap and with some help from the mechanics at AC&T managed to rebuild the motor.

John -- what was the timeline of all this? When did Lyle move the kit into the hangar? When was the fuselage more or less complete? When did Putnam get his hands on the engine and when was it actually hung on the airplane?

Neal
                Attached Files
                Last edited by wingman; 05-24-2021, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Man, apparently Pete had an eye. That second image is gorgeous. So this is the first motor? Well, the first 3350 to be mounted to this airframe? Had there been another 3350 on a Bearcat at that point? A scrapheap motor on a scrapheap airframe. Talk about humble beginnings to basically the most beloved air racer of all time. Especially to Reno-ites. It sure was nice to be able to drive out and peek through window and see The Bear. I miss it.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

WOW. Classic 3350 photos. Thanks for sharing.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Did the engine in the photos have the slow nose case?

Comment

No -- I think that first engine was quite stock. They ran decently in 1969, though with systems problems. They ran better, with all systems working in 1970 -- til they blew up the engine due to bad advice on fuel mixing. They then built up their first "hybrid" 3350 for Cape May in 1971. Apparently that was an ex-airline motor with supercharger and other modifications done largely by Bill Coulter and Mel Gregoire at AC&T. I think that was the first motor with the "slow" nose case. BCIV obviously knows far more about this than I -- I hope we'll get there in the future...

Neal

Comment

I haven't disappeared, I've just been buried in a couple of projects at home. I should get some time to answer some questions this weekend.
                          John Slack

Comment

So which weekend was that, John? I just wanted to bring this thing up front again -- there are things I'm curious about

This thread has been fun.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                              So which weekend was that, John? I just wanted to bring this thing up front again -- there are things I'm curious about

This thread has been fun.
                              Neal,
                              It was like the lost weekend, I was dealing with multiple people that I couldn't say "no" to. I had to get introspection into what was actually going on with all of it. In the end I am learning to say "not now" because that is slightly different than no.

I came here and started to go over past history, because it was fun. Then forces in the universe decided I needed to do things I didn't want to do, so this personal enjoyment was the fuse. Once again I could put it on hold. I'm finally learning to say "not now." Eventually I will graduate to prioritizing my projects and being able to do magic for others. So back to our story. It was "The Long Weekend in the sense of getting my head more together and cleaning up loose ends, I didn't have any moving out or arguing with my lovely wife in that aspect. Anyway the weekend is over, and there wasn't any May Pang involved.
                              Last edited by BellCobraIV; 10-06-2021, 12:33 PM.
                              John Slack

Comment

" forces in the universe decided I needed to do things I didn't want to do "

I really dislike those particular forces. I've encountered them a lot the last few years. It only gets worse as you get older.

" John -- what was the timeline of all this? When did Lyle move the kit into the hangar? When was the fuselage more or less complete? When did Putnam get his hands on the engine and when was it actually hung on the airplane? "

I'm still interested in this -- I've never seen such a timeline and I've always been blown away by how quickly this all came together -- broken(literally) stripped shell and trashed run out engine core to on the course at Reno.

Did that first engine come to Lyle with any accessories and such? What did you do for carb, supercharger, fuel pumps and so on. The magnitude of what was done in that year is just amazing.

When did you first meet Mel Gregoire?

Neal
                                Last edited by wingman; 10-06-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X