Before it was Rare Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Before it was Rare Bear

What a unique coincidence .......this video was posted on the 'tube this morning.
    ed; Rare Bear part starts @ 9:12

Attached Files
    Last edited by Lon Moer; 12-21-2021, 06:36 PM.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Did we lose everyone that was interested in this historically based thread?

John
      John Slack

Comment

No Sir, at least you didn't lose me.

There was some discussion of cowlings in another thread, and I note that in the latest versions of the cowl, there are no cowl flaps and in fact the only outlet for cooling air appears to be around the exhaust stacks. I'm not really clear whether that outlet has one slot for the stacks and another for air.

I guess my question would be, "Before it was Rare Bear" with the original DC-6(?) cowling, were there cowl flaps or was that all sealed up from the get-go?

Comment

Nope, I'm still waiting on the next installment. The thread did get a bit derailed however.

Will

Comment

This is one of the most interesting threads. As a mechanic, gearhead and student of air racing I can really sink my teeth into it. The talent pool and innovative thinking that created Rare Bear I can compare to Smokey Yunick.

Comment

Trying to absorb over fifty years of information on the development of "Rare Bear". Should get college credits. LOL

Comment

You sure as hell didn't lose me. This is the most fascinating thread on here for a while. I grew up watching and rooting for the Bear throughout my childhood in the 70's, so hearing about the genesis has been fantastic. Thanks for the insight and historical perspective!

Comment

Definitely didn't lose interest from me either.

A question I thought of a while ago, where did the Phoenix name(s) come from and why the switch from Able Cat?

Comment

Okay great, lots of good topics and questions to go through. Hopefully we still have Neal and Lief for participation as well.
                    John Slack

Comment

I'm still here, and still interested. Here's a rerun of a post from a couple of pages back:

And I still have questions about that first engine. It came from a scrap heap -- never sealed up or preserved. So were the cylinders still usable? What about accessories -- pumps and hoses and such. How much support was provided during build up from AC&T? Was the work done in Hangar F-8? Did Cliff Putnam do most of the engine work?

When did Mel Gregoire get involved with the program?

What was done about ADI? These engines did have ADI in airline service, didn't they? I understand that ADI was installed but not working during that first Reno.

This Birch Matthews photo of the first Reno is the best I've ever seen. Does anybody have color shots they could share?

Neal
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm still here and will contribute if I think I can add to the conversation.

Comment

A silent but very grateful reader here.
                          Zac in NZ

Comment

Maybe John will come back if someone asks why the airplane has T-33 brakes and wheels?

Comment

I've been told that the vertical is taller than a stock Bearcat.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                                I've been told that the vertical is taller than a stock Bearcat.
                                I've never heard that. But the original F8F-1 had a shorter vertical that was lengthened on the F8F-2, amongst other improvements.

Comment

Working...
                                X