Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Before it was Rare Bear

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Let's take a second to align ourselves with what this thread is trying to accomplish. In the last couple of days we as a group participating in this thread have deviated from the concept of the thread.
    You got to admit, though, that we got some good mileage out of that Pete Behenna shot of the exhaust being welded up...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      You got to admit, though, that we got some good mileage out of that Pete Behenna shot of the exhaust being welded up...
      Absolutely! I'm trying to get deeper into the conversation about what we did, what worked, what didn't. I'm not trying to bash the new owner for what he did. Once upon a time someone was trying to get Lyle to criticize Rod for something they were doing on the Bearcat. Lyle just said, "He bought the airplane, it's his to do things with however he wants."

To be clear Rod wanted Lyle to be there in Reno for the races. He offered to send a jet down to Bakersfield and supply Lyle with rooms. The first year Lyle was in so much pain from a back injury, the second year he just had no desire to go back to Reno.
      John Slack

Comment

The handful aspect is partially a frame of mind.

So the Jekyll and Hyde aspect was a mindset. I think after the first flight, there was probably a yellow sheet on things to fix. He probably talked to Cliff Putnam, Bill Hickle about the flight. We celebrated with champagne at Aero-Sport in Chino that night.

First flight day, I think, by Birch Matthews.

In flight -- a couple of years later, by Pete Behenna

Did you partake in the libations that night after the first flight, John? You would have been what age? 11 or so?

Neal
        Attached Files
        Last edited by wingman; 11-30-2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

First flight day, I think, by Birch Matthews.

In flight -- a couple of years later, by Pete Behenna

Did you partake in the libations that night after the first flight, John? You would have been what age? 11 or so?

Neal
          Neal,
          I was 10 then. I still remember my Mom had bought Champagne for the celebration of the airplane's first flight. She wanted to crack one of the bottles on a propeller blade to christen the Able Cat....yeah, she was stopped, I did have a small cup. We drove out to Chino as did most of the people we knew. I remember that everyone was really upbeat as there were issues, but no major issues with the Cat.
          John
          John Slack

Comment

Connor,

The stock canopy was used until the 1971 era, after that the first canopy modified was the "cut down shaped canopy" with the fibreglass rear section. Lyle didn't really like how much that canopy interfered with cockpit lighting and shadows, but it's what we had so no priority was set for it's replacement.

So after Reno 1972 the new all plastic canopy was made using the same windscreen as the previous one.

The shape was made by making a plaster piece and basically removing plaster where it didn't look right. There was one of the aerodynamic guys I think from Douglas that came by the hangar to look at it and he said that everyone had done a good job, he commented that the fineness ratio was ten times better than Darryl's little bubble canopy so we were all happy and the guy that made everybody else's canopies made that one as set from the plaster mold.

We would eventually in the 1980s replace that canopy due to age and sun damage from when the airplane sat outside after the belly landing in Mojave. That new canopy had an integral antenna on the inside rear surface which allowed us to remove the wire antenna and their resultant drag. At that point the area behind the canopy on the fuselage was built up slightly and the rear of the canopy frame modified to match, also at this point the rollers were replaced with Teflon slides that reduced the amount of rocking and play the canopy had making the whole assembly really tight.

That is the canopy story.
            You know, John, that this is a pretty disappointing story. I've always really admired this canopy -- it is just so "right" -- it's a work of art. It has also gone 550 mph without complaint. I've always envisioned some genius in the Bear Brain Trust secretly planning out a magical shape just to show the Bolands and Greenamyers and Zeuschels of the world what a "touring canopy" could be.

So it turns out that the guys just crank out a low shape (why the solid rear portion anyway?) and fly it til it breaks. So then they use the old windscreen and mock up a new shape til it just "looks right". They then win multiiple Renos in various racing eras and set records and all sorts of stuff.

So it just looked right?

Neal
            Attached Files

Comment

Intermediate stages...
              Attached Files

Comment

Intermediate stages...
                The canopy is the same one in both pictures, however here are two pictures of WAY before it was Rare Bear. At this point unbeknown to us a wreck was in Valparaiso waiting for someone to love it. There were a LOT of cigars around then.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BellCobraIV; 12-01-2021, 12:33 PM.
                John Slack

Comment

The canopy is the same one in both pictures, however here are two pictures of WAY before it was Rare Bear. At this point unbeknown to us a wreck was in Valparaiso waiting for someone to love it. There were a LOT of cigars around then.
                  Navy pilot with cigar. Boy in spiffy red shirt.
                  Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    Navy pilot with cigar. Boy in spiffy red shirt.
                    Don'tcha wish photographs could record the subject's thoughts at the time of exposure...

Having the world by the ass has to feel pretty damn good!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So I have a question.

Corky Meyer (I think) wrote about F8Fs having break away wing tips. The idea was that the wing could be lighter if it was made to break in a controllable way when certain G loads were reached.

My question is: is that breakaway point where the Bear got its wings clipped?

(P.S. Navy pilot with cigar. Boy in spiffy red shirt. Yellow Luscombe with windmill generator.)

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post
                        So I have a question.

Corky Meyer (I think) wrote about F8Fs having break away wing tips. The idea was that the wing could be lighter if it was made to break in a controllable way when certain G loads were reached.

My question is: is that breakaway point where the Bear got its wings clipped?

(P.S. Navy pilot with cigar. Boy in spiffy red shirt. Yellow Luscombe with windmill generator.)
                        Yes, the wings got clipped at the production break. Note; there were three aileron hinges. You wanted to keep at least two of them.

Just for reference. Everyone is commenting on my"spiffy" red shirt but hey! look at how clean my white tennis shoes were. Couldn't do that with a round motor!
                        John Slack

Comment

Great pictures, John. Did your Mom take them?

The shot of Lyle is fascinating. There's the "Naviness" of course, but there's also a presence. This is the guy who's about to ride the fire breathing dragon. What a decade he would have...

I fussed with it a bit -- is this OK?
                          Attached Files

Comment

John, did you guys ever have any issues with the fabric covered control surfaces. Would have been interesting if you guys had gotten a Mustang.

Comment

Here is a picture from Reno 64 That I think best shows where the "Navy Pilot" wanted to be heading....Fate was waiting for the chance.
                              Attached Files
                              John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                                John, did you guys ever have any issues with the fabric covered control surfaces. Would have been interesting if you guys had gotten a Mustang.
                                Mike,
                                I may be wrong, but I don't believe that N66111 ever went fast enough to damage the control surfaces....Even thogh if you look closely at pictures of the airplane the rudder was recovered at one point. So maybe?
                                John Slack

Comment

Working...
                                X