X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Before it was Rare Bear

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    and there wasn't any May Pang involved.
    That's funny, right there....as while I was reading your comment "#9 Dream" was playing on the radio in the background.
    Last edited by Big_Jim; 10-07-2021, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      " forces in the universe decided I needed to do things I didn't want to do "

I really dislike those particular forces. I've encountered them a lot the last few years. It only gets worse as you get older.

" John -- what was the timeline of all this? When did Lyle move the kit into the hangar? When was the fuselage more or less complete? When did Putnam get his hands on the engine and when was it actually hung on the airplane? "

I'm still interested in this -- I've never seen such a timeline and I've always been blown away by how quickly this all came together -- broken(literally) stripped shell and trashed run out engine core to on the course at Reno.

Did that first engine come to Lyle with any accessories and such? What did you do for carb, supercharger, fuel pumps and so on. The magnitude of what was done in that year is just amazing.

When did you first meet Mel Gregoire?

Neal
      Neal,
      Okay I am going to have to try to create that timeline, it will take me a little bit, I may have to make a couple of calls. So in the meantime I'm going to go back to the last couple of pictures I have not commented on yet and fill in that part of the story.

Brad,
      It was May Pang's voice saying "John" and then in the second bridge saying "nhoJ" in #9 Dream. Good on ya for that eerie experience.
      John Slack

Comment

I had to Google "May Pang" to even begin to understand the reference. Does that mean I have to give up my membership in the Baby Boomer Trivia association?

Neal

Comment

I had to Google "May Pang" to even begin to understand the reference. Does that mean I have to give up my membership in the Baby Boomer Trivia association?

Neal
          I'm right there with ya', Neal. Had no idea. But then...I was far too heavily involved with wrapping my head around "Battle of Evermore" and "In the Court of King Crimson."
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

What? I've never heard of and don't understand those two either. There are clearly whole worlds out there that I just don't comprehend -- I think I'll just crawl back into my Photoshop and clarity filters and curves tools and color wheels and such easy stuff that I can understand.

Maybe this is what I get for never having been on Facebook...

Neal

Comment

Maybe this is what I get for never having been on Facebook...
              Be strong grashopper, you can resist the force of the farce....
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I just looked up That Evermore Zeppelin song, and I can see how a person could get sucked in. I don't remember much Zeppelin after Stairway to Heaven. When the Evermore song apparently happened I was otherwise engaged -- chasing nurses, avoiding personnel sergeants carrying orders to faroff places, and wondering about the young guys dying of strange tropical diseases on my watch in the hospital. I don't remember much music or music news during that time. Of course like many Baby Boomers there are other reasons why I don't remember a lot of that time, but better not to go there. The nurses sure were fun, though.

That's my excuse for such ignorance, anyway. I forget that a bunch of you guys are 10 or 15 years younger than I am.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  Be strong grashopper, you can resist the force of the farce....
                  Truly should have worded that...

Be strong Obi-Wan, you can resist the force of the farce....
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I just looked up That Evermore Zeppelin song, and I can see how a person could get sucked in. I don't remember much Zeppelin after Stairway to Heaven. When the Evermore song apparently happened I was otherwise engaged -- chasing nurses, avoiding personnel sergeants carrying orders to faroff places, and wondering about the young guys dying of strange tropical diseases on my watch in the hospital. I don't remember much music or music news during that time. Of course like many Baby Boomers there are other reasons why I don't remember a lot of that time, but better not to go there. The nurses sure were fun, though.

That's my excuse for such ignorance, anyway. I forget that a bunch of you guys are 10 or 15 years younger than I am.

Neal
                    Neal, Neal, Neal, how ironic you should say that after "Stairway to Heaven" you don't remember much Led Zeppelin, on the actually not named Led Zeppelin IV the fourth track is "Stairway to Heaven" following the third track which is the "Battle of Evermore." The Battle of Evermore was based on J.R.R. Tolkens "Lord of the Rings". Let me tell you if you had to keep up with my daughter and Brad playing music trivia you'd study as well. My daughter when she was twelve shredded a guy once with the facts when he said Yoko broke up the Beatles. Nope afraid not dude, read better history. (Not my comment to you
                    , That was my comment to the 40+ year old guy that she shredded.)

Now back to Air Racing....I promise.
                    Last edited by BellCobraIV; 10-07-2021, 08:47 PM.
                    John Slack

Comment

I told you my memories of those days are a bit jumbled, and clearly not all quite in order. I guess I must have been listening to Stairway in Mill Valley and not in Ann Arbor -- 1973 and not 1968. It does all seem so long ago. I still don't remember that song.

I agree -- back to Air Racing.

Neal

Comment

Yea... this ain't Facebook... LOL

Love it you guys!

One of the things I've missed here is the exchange of some of you... excuse me, "old timers"

Used to be a lot of banter among crew/pilot.. I think it all sort of felt "inside" and sheltered here (ads but none shoved up your keyster... that I'm aware of!) but it still came off as pretty private..

So anyway, you two were around BEFORE IT WAS RARE BEAR so your cross talk is extremely entertaining..

Neal, John I know how memories fade, these chats run some mental dental floss between those forgotten portions...

Again, keep it up please!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Photo via Bill Kientz
                          " Early 70?s. In 1974 he would become Lyle Shelton?s crew chief on Rare Bear. "
                          Attached Files
                          remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                            Photo via Bill Kientz
                            " Early 70?s. In 1974 he would become Lyle Shelton?s crew chief on Rare Bear. "
                            My recollection of Reno 1969 Able Cat crew pictured as follows:

Bottom left to right. George (Navy Los Alamitos)?, Randy Difani (grunt), Dennis Buehn (Navy Crew Chief), George (Navy Los Alamitos)?, Pete Behena (AA A&P, Photographer).

Top left to right: Bill Kientz (TWA PIlot, electrical expert), Bill Hickle (China Lake?), Lyle Shelton (TWA Pilot/Navy Reserve, Expert Air Racer), Cliff Putnam (TWA Pilot, Mechanical Expert & Crew Chief), Harry Smith (AA A&P).

Most repair/restoration work accomplished Hangar F8 Compton, CA. Towed to Santa Ana, CA. First flight to Chino, CA, where yellow zinc chromate painted, approx. one week prior to Reno. Took 5th place 1969 Reno Gold Unlimited. Great fun and extraordinary experience. We stayed at the Mapes Hotel, downtown Reno. Possibly John can add details.

Randy Difani (T6 Racer #18 "Thunderbolt" ret.)

PS Recall Lyle returning from reserve duty overflying Compton in an A4 Skyhawk, with drop tanks, prior to landing at Los Alamitos.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer 18 View Post
                              My recollection of Reno 1969 Able Cat crew pictured as follows:

Bottom left to right. George (Navy Los Alamitos)?, Randy Difani (grunt), Dennis Buehn (Navy Crew Chief), George (Navy Los Alamitos)?, Pete Behena (AA A&P, Photographer).

Top left to right: Bill Kientz (TWA PIlot, electrical expert), Bill Hickle (China Lake?), Lyle Shelton (TWA Pilot/Navy Reserve, Expert Air Racer), Cliff Putnam (TWA Pilot, Mechanical Expert & Crew Chief), Harry Smith (AA A&P).

Most repair/restoration work accomplished Hangar F8 Compton, CA. Towed to Santa Ana, CA. First flight to Chino, CA, where yellow zinc chromate painted, approx. one week prior to Reno. Took 5th place 1969 Reno Gold Unlimited. Great fun and extraordinary experience. We stayed at the Mapes Hotel, downtown Reno. Possibly John can add details.

Randy Difani (T6 Racer #18 "Thunderbolt" ret.)

PS Recall Lyle returning from reserve duty overflying Compton in an A4 Skyhawk, with drop tanks, prior to landing at Los Alamitos.
                              Just additional information on the crew in 1969;
                              Top left to right: Bill Kientz (TWA PIlot, electrical expert), Bill Hickle (China Lake/later Flight Systems Mojave), Lyle Shelton (TWA Pilot/Navy Reserve, Expert Air Racer), Cliff Putnam (TWA Pilot, Mechanical Expert & Crew Chief), Harry Smith (American Airlines A&P).

Bottom left to right. Austin Cranston (Navy Navy Chief, Los Alamitos), Randy Difani (grunt), Dennis Buehn (Navy Crew Chief), George Williamson (Navy Los Alamitos), Pete Behena (American Airlines A&P, Photographer).

Randy, since you are on here and may have a better memory of the dates, Neal was inquiring about the timeline of the events as they unfolded. I have been going through what archives we have as I can get to them and have not found Lyle's yellow 11x14 pages from 1969 yet. We have his Daytimers sorted out but they only start in 1970 from what I've been able to find.

This thread has uncovered a lot of information and I have to dig to get at it now. My Mom is now 90 years old and can't remember what car we are in anymore, let alone what the white and purple airplane is in the pictures on the wall.

"John -- what was the timeline of all this? When did Lyle move the kit into the hangar? When was the fuselage more or less complete? When did Putnam get his hands on the engine and when was it actually hung on the airplane?

Neal"

For reference.
                              Last edited by BellCobraIV; 11-18-2021, 04:00 PM.
                              John Slack

Comment

Found another one......
                                Attached Files
                                remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Working...
                                X