Reno '21 Unlimited News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno '21 Unlimited News

Palm Springs says they're bringing the P-63 along with Bunny and their newest acquisition Man O' War to race this year

Curious to see what else transpires, but this is a positive start to our field this year. We should also be seeing a few other warbirds that haven't raced yet that were planning on it in 2020.

Some to think about -

-Miss America's next set of mods to take on Dread
    -Sawbones' Furias style canopy as well as new prop and some other minor mods we haven't got to see yet. Feels like it's been years since Bones has been on the sticks
    -JT's Crusader and On Eagle's Wings (we haven't got to see her round the pylons full polish yet)
    -Bill Shepherd's Yak-3 that Dusty was going to race. Maybe Bill will bring her to PRS to get certified?
    -Dusty himself likely bringing one of his own planes
    -Rumors of POF possibly racing their new Bearcat??

Here's to PRS!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Reno '21 Unlimited News

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Palm Springs says they're bringing the P-63 along with Bunny and their newest acquisition Man O' War to race this year

Curious to see what else transpires, but this is a positive start to our field this year. We should also be seeing a few other warbirds that haven't raced yet that were planning on it in 2020.

Some to think about -

-Miss America's next set of mods to take on Dread
    -Sawbones' Furias style canopy as well as new prop and some other minor mods we haven't got to see yet. Feels like it's been years since Bones has been on the sticks
    -JT's Crusader and On Eagle's Wings (we haven't got to see her round the pylons full polish yet)
    -Bill Shepherd's Yak-3 that Dusty was going to race. Maybe Bill will bring her to PRS to get certified?
    -Dusty himself likely bringing one of his own planes
    -Rumors of POF possibly racing their new Bearcat??

Here's to PRS!
    I don't know if this is new news but we are to open in Nevada 100% June first, no mask except for patrons but employees required to wear?

Comment

Originally posted by KAHNZILLA View Post
      I don't know if this is new news but we are to open in Nevada 100% June first, no mask except for patrons but employees required to wear?
      I haven't heard that yet, but good news! PRS should go on pretty normal then.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

When is PRS scheduled. Nothing on Strega, Voodoo or Rare Bear?
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
          When is PRS scheduled. Nothing on Strega, Voodoo or Rare Bear?
          Middle of June not sure which days yet. Doubtful any of them will be there this year, but rumors of Voodoo still wanting to go for the speed run and a potential return to Reno. Need Tsunami to reignite the spark... Maybe 2025.
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            Middle of June not sure which days yet. Doubtful any of them will be there this year, but rumors of Voodoo still wanting to go for the speed run and a potential return to Reno. Need Tsunami to reignite the spark... Maybe 2025.
            PRS will be held in two stages.

First stage is Sunday 06Jun thru Wed 08Jun @1200hrs. This will feature F1, Sport and Jet classes.

Second stages is Wed 08Jun @1201 thru Sat 11Jun. This will feature Bips, UNL, T6 and STOL.

Reasoning is the break in 2020 necessitates additional time for both rookies as well as returning pilots.
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Anybody hear anything about Dan Martin?
              After the 2019 parade he reportedly said that he '...should have put the race parts and engine into "Grim Reaper" and gone for the win...'

2021 looks to be a similar race field.

Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-eatdrink062.gif
Views:	50
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	231567
              Last edited by Lon Moer; 04-30-2021, 10:06 AM. Reason: fixed it ;)
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                Anybody hear anything about Dan Martin?
                After the 2019 parade he reportedly said that he '...should have put the race parts and engine into "Grim Reaper" and gone for the win...'

2021 looks to be a similar race field.
                I would insert the "Lon infamous" popcorn emote, but aafo doesn't have it... That would be... amazing!
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Man, would love to see Miss A with enough to really compete for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                    Man, would love to see Miss A with enough to really compete for the win.
                    You and me both.

A super stock Miss American and Ridge Runner both would bring smiles to Reno Air Race Week.

Comment

One can hope...with two years to prep perhaps we'll be treated to an enhanced UNL class and an even more competitive class.
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                        You and me both.

A super stock Miss American and Ridge Runner both would bring smiles to Reno Air Race Week.

I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I'm pretty sure RRIII is now a TF.

If its Grim Reaper with race mods, now that is a different story. That WOULD be cool.

Will

Comment

So what is needed to beat Dread at the moment? 450 race average? There?s been several platforms capable of that. The Buick is just so damn consistent. The ultimate keeper. 450. What racers are currently capable of that if they are given what they need to go 450?
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I think it needs to be a platform that will run 470. Dreadnaught can run 450 all day long. I think, and I might be wrong, but Dreadnought has gone 460 in the past. Its faster with the small tail, but gets unruly at high speeds. What platforms can beat it? Czech Mate, Miss A with the engine and cooling, perhaps any other Mustang with the RRIII treatment. Obviously, Rare Bear, Voodoo, and Strega, but they likely aren't in the picture at this time. I'd also say September Fury, but only the current owner and the Sanders know what is going on with it. Even with a hot 3350, I don't think Sawbones is clean enough to go that fast. They might do 450 however.

Its one thing to go as fast as Dreadnaught, its another to pass it and open a lead up that is large enough to keep it down the front straight.

Will

Comment

The short tail Dread has never (I believe) run 450. It might be able to in a straight line but it?s not going to happen on the course. It?s only been 460 once in this century. If you get out front on the start and run 450, you?re golden. No pun intended.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                              X