Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I did not think I'd be writing this message. WE ARE BACK!

Default Re: I did not think I'd be writing this message. WE ARE BACK!

Good to see the site is still kicking. I figured that maybe you'd fallen victim to one of the Russian or Chinese problems that are currently circulating the web. My wife's company has been having a hell of a time with their network the past two weeks.

Wayne!!! Thank you - my 'happy place' is back. Blessings to you and yours - thanks for that one last push...unreal. And, yes, Texas did get hot hard. m)

Glad you are back. Been checking almost every day.

Glad to see you got it up and running missed my air racing fix

To be honest, I did not expect to see AAFO return. Kudos, congrats, and a big THANK YOU Wayne for keeping the site alive! I dreaded the thought of trying to find another air racing site. Pylon1, AAFO, then ???
    Again, thanks Wayne!

Thanks Wayne for all you have done to keep all us Air Race fans Happy. I'll have a cold one tonight in your Honor.
    Lockheed Bob

You, sir, are a rock star!

Thanks for what I can only imagine was a Herculean effort to get this back up and running!

Well done...well done, indeed.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Wayne,
    Check your PayPal account. I dropped a couple of nickels in the tip jar to take that lady of yours out for dinner after this stressful deal.
    Enjoy!
    Randy
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

I searched for "What happened to AAFO?" I now know more about football minor leagues than I ever wanted. Glad the site is back up and running. There was also some other info related to dentistry but I'm not a fan of people other than myself putting things in my mouth so I never went down that road.

Wow.. what can I say other than I love you guys and I love the sport and have always just wanted to do the best I could to promote and by that, support the Reno National Championship Air Races and Air Shot(keyword plug there for the serchbots LOL)

I had never been uncomfortable about the site going down since I set it up way back with two drives, one dedicated to backups which happened daily and were archived by daily/weekly/monthly so no matter what happened, you could usually go back to a healthy version. All of this I could do via a convenient control panel setting that allows you to do most "Do some of that server stuff" via that panel. Ya'know, kind of like the computer flying the airplane for ya.... S H I T hits the fan, ya better remember how to do it manually!

I didn't!!

So I had the professionals at the IBM datacenter look at it, and they said there were no backups and that we were screwed.. Got another professional to look at it... same same, nothing there.

Air Boss and a few other know, I was D O N E DONE done DONE... I just could not see how I could bring the site back without the message board historic content! We had a "heyday" here back in "the day" LOTS of different folks stopped by, contributed photos, etc. All of that, I was told over and over was gone.. Again, I just thought it was a voice telling me... "it's time"

It was just pure blessing and the fact that I'm kind of driven and when I've got a computer problem, I sit here and stew about it and throw tons of potential solutions at it.. what worked was just doing a command that scrolled the contents of the server in front of me... when I saw files go by that were in backup format, I looked back at the path and lo and behold... found them!!!!

New host managed to migrate the sites via command line (moved to new datacenter with new company, cheaper with an annual plan that your donations and the clicks bring in are paying for) as soon as I iron out the DNS pointing stuff, for the first time in over a decade, I personally will not be directly paying for this server.. pretty cool for a pensioner!!

OK..... I'm super happy to have been able to save the backups! I peeled off a week or so as I was not sure what date the corruption started and the best way to cut the cancer out was to increase the margins....

Good to be back!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"