Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did not think I'd be writing this message. WE ARE BACK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not think I'd be writing this message. WE ARE BACK!

Rescued from the brink we were! I'll go into more detail in the future, I'm sure more than anyone will want to read about!

Long story short, *something* happened to the old, needed to have OS updated server during the big ice storm that hit Texas, server located in Dallas...

Don't know what happened but the EXPERTS at IBM's hosting empire (it absorbed the smaller reliable friendly hosts we have been with over the years) could NOT find my backups...

Then I had two other experts dive in and looksee... nope, no backups in there..

I insisted, I've been renting a second drive on the same box since inception with daily/weekly/monthly backups automatically done... but "nothing there"

Anyway, long story short I found them and then literally had to lead our new hosting center staff by the hand to where the backups were.. I could have done it all myself but, I'd have had to do it via command line and I'm just too damn rusty to risk losing the databases..

Thrilling part is, we only lost stuff from the beginning of Feb till now.. not bad considering I was thinking we may have to rebuild from scratch, or worse... I was truly ready to close down and walk away!

Anyway... probably lost most of you but, we're back!

Spread the word!!!!!!!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: I did not think I'd be writing this message. WE ARE BACK!

Welcome Back !!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 8 View Post
      Welcome Back !!
      It has been weird to be sure! I'm not exactly sure why it was so hard for "them" to find the files, but boy was I thrilled when they did and asked permission to upload them!!!!!

Now I can sleep better !
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

been stressful lately?
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

I’m glad to see this back!

Comment

Wow, thanks for bringing this back online. There are a ton of people who will be thrilled to see the site back up.

Will

Comment

It was just so ODD that the pros kept telling me there was no hope.

It actually got worse though. You don't log into a server in one step, you login as admin and do not have permission to do a lot of things.. you have to type in the command su then space then enter and put in the "SuperUser" (root) password. So the tech comes back and tells me that he can see them but not do anything with them, I had to remind of the process to become root...

I *USED* to be pretty good at the command line stuff, (mostly finding the right commands and then copy paste) my short term memory is so bad lately that it's become very difficult for me to look at one page, to get info, then find where I was on different page and remember what to hell it was I was doing there!

I am, after all, going to be 70 in 4 months

Anyway, I actually had made the decision to shut things down and I went in and did a process that basically showed a very fast moving list of files and I managed to catch a glimpse of something that looked a lot like the backup location..

Problem was, if you had not typed cd space / you were NOT looking at the backup drive..

Anyway once I found them... OH.. I neglected to mention, the server software control panel was not loading so EVERYTHING had to be done by command line, I was uncomfortable attempting to rescue the box so... had to trust the same folks who had problems finding the right file location.. phew, I told ya I'd prolly be writing more about this than anyone would want to read!

SPECIAL THANKS to everyone who tried to help!!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

SO GLAD TO SEE YOU GUYS BACK ON THE AIR.......
                BEST REGARDS, DUSTY

Comment

Amazing the laziness of the "experts" who really just didn't want to lift a finger to do anything. A widespread problem among many such businesses.
                  Anyway, so glad you found the backups! It felt like being lost in the air racing arena without this site to check in on.
                  Last edited by tedstriker; 03-27-2021, 07:08 AM.

Comment

I did have one really amazing guy work on it while I was on the phone with him. Initially, you could not even get to the box command line, he worked so fast I'm sure he just didn't take or have the time to explore for the files. BUT, he did get the box open. He was able to get in via some magic method and opened it up for me to be able to get in. It was really just luck that I gave it one more try and found them.

I'm not going to complain any more, we're back and I'm amazed that we are!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Good to see the site is still kicking. I figured that maybe you'd fallen victim to one of the Russian or Chinese problems that are currently circulating the web. My wife's company has been having a hell of a time with their network the past two weeks.

Comment

Wayne!!! Thank you - my 'happy place' is back. Blessings to you and yours - thanks for that one last push...unreal. And, yes, Texas did get hot hard. m)

Comment

Glad you are back. Been checking almost every day.

Comment

Glad to see you got it up and running missed my air racing fix

Comment

To be honest, I did not expect to see AAFO return. Kudos, congrats, and a big THANK YOU Wayne for keeping the site alive! I dreaded the thought of trying to find another air racing site. Pylon1, AAFO, then ???
                              Again, thanks Wayne!

Comment

Working...
                              X