Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did not think I'd be writing this message. WE ARE BACK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I did not think I'd be writing this message. WE ARE BACK!

Thanks Wayne for all you have done to keep all us Air Race fans Happy. I'll have a cold one tonight in your Honor.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

You, sir, are a rock star!

Thanks for what I can only imagine was a Herculean effort to get this back up and running!

Well done...well done, indeed.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Wayne,
        Check your PayPal account. I dropped a couple of nickels in the tip jar to take that lady of yours out for dinner after this stressful deal.
        Enjoy!
        Randy
        Randy Rheinschild
        www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

I searched for "What happened to AAFO?" I now know more about football minor leagues than I ever wanted. Glad the site is back up and running. There was also some other info related to dentistry but I'm not a fan of people other than myself putting things in my mouth so I never went down that road.

Comment

Wow.. what can I say other than I love you guys and I love the sport and have always just wanted to do the best I could to promote and by that, support the Reno National Championship Air Races and Air Shot(keyword plug there for the serchbots LOL)

I had never been uncomfortable about the site going down since I set it up way back with two drives, one dedicated to backups which happened daily and were archived by daily/weekly/monthly so no matter what happened, you could usually go back to a healthy version. All of this I could do via a convenient control panel setting that allows you to do most "Do some of that server stuff" via that panel. Ya'know, kind of like the computer flying the airplane for ya.... S H I T hits the fan, ya better remember how to do it manually!

I didn't!!

So I had the professionals at the IBM datacenter look at it, and they said there were no backups and that we were screwed.. Got another professional to look at it... same same, nothing there.

Air Boss and a few other know, I was D O N E DONE done DONE... I just could not see how I could bring the site back without the message board historic content! We had a "heyday" here back in "the day" LOTS of different folks stopped by, contributed photos, etc. All of that, I was told over and over was gone.. Again, I just thought it was a voice telling me... "it's time"

It was just pure blessing and the fact that I'm kind of driven and when I've got a computer problem, I sit here and stew about it and throw tons of potential solutions at it.. what worked was just doing a command that scrolled the contents of the server in front of me... when I saw files go by that were in backup format, I looked back at the path and lo and behold... found them!!!!

New host managed to migrate the sites via command line (moved to new datacenter with new company, cheaper with an annual plan that your donations and the clicks bring in are paying for) as soon as I iron out the DNS pointing stuff, for the first time in over a decade, I personally will not be directly paying for this server.. pretty cool for a pensioner!!

OK..... I'm super happy to have been able to save the backups! I peeled off a week or so as I was not sure what date the corruption started and the best way to cut the cancer out was to increase the margins....

Good to be back!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Specifically, THANK YOU RANDY!!!

Don't ya just miss the old days!!!!!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Oh thank god. This was site going down was part of my horrible 2021. Things are looking up now! Thanks Wayner!
                You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Glad to see aafo back, just thought not another great website down. Thanks for your work and effort, Wayne!

Timo

Comment

Originally posted by Timo View Post
                    Glad to see aafo back, just thought not another great website down. Thanks for your work and effort, Wayne!

Timo
                    Other than saving the databases and keeping the electrons flowing, these days, I don't have much to do with making the site exciting... It's YOU GUYS! In fact, you guys paid for this server we're now on for a year... we don't need a whole lot more to pay in advance for second year! Again, other than my being pretty stubborn and refusing to give up on finding the backups that I KNEW I had made... All the current stuff is from you's guys! I USED spend a great deal of time keeping up with and promoting the sport by producing interesting tid-bits

I sincerely hope that I regain some of the creative energy that I seem to have lost so much of lately...

Anyway, the thanks goes to you!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                    X