Sport Class Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Class Tech

In reply to Wayne’s thread about things being quiet, how about we start a discussion centered around the tech involved in the various race classes?

I’ll start this Sport Class Tech thread with a question:

As a builder owner of 4 Glasairs over the years, I am in awe of the speeds Jeff Lavelle has achieved with his III. Curious about airframe mods: Stock airfoil? Wing/tail incidence? Or is it all motor? Same questions for the other really fast Glasairs.

I know racers hold speed secrets close, but a few nuggets of knowledge could make for fun discussion.

Hope we can see a tech discussion centered on each of the race classes!

Jeff

Re: Sport Class Tech

Originally posted by Jeff Ackland View Post
    In reply to Wayne’s thread about things being quiet, how about we start a discussion centered around the tech involved in the various race classes?

I’ll start this Sport Class Tech thread with a question:

As a builder owner of 4 Glasairs over the years, I am in awe of the speeds Jeff Lavelle has achieved with his III. Curious about airframe mods: Stock airfoil? Wing/tail incidence? Or is it all motor? Same questions for the other really fast Glasairs.

I know racers hold speed secrets close, but a few nuggets of knowledge could make for fun discussion.

Hope we can see a tech discussion centered on each of the race classes!

Jeff
    I'd welcome that discussion thread. I am as ignorant as a fence post on such matters but always enjoy learning from those who have been there...done that.

Look forward to reading this thread going forward.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

The secret is speedtape!!!
      Big motors.
      and a large box of cowbells in the back.

Comment

Jeff, thank you for the wake up call!

I will add a pearl of wisdom that Kerch told me.

It's not just one thing, it's EVERYTHING!

He went on to talk about all the tiny seemingly insignificant things that can add up to something..

I honestly can't recall any specific details of any one thing he talked about but it was attention to every single detail that he stressed...

Any of you guys who worked with Kerch remember anything? I'm pretty sure it even involved making sure flat head screws were "clocked" into the wind..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The engine progression is something like:
          run more power, but needs more cooling
          add spray bars
          can run more power, but still need more, and will need more cooling
          add turbos, add ADI, intercoolers

After that there is continual evolution and improving of system routing and plumbing

After that you've got aerodynamic mods like baffling, custom wingtips, sealing the cockpit seams, and Jeff specifically has custom landing gear so that the main gear are flush with the wing. Race #24 has doors to closeout the main gear but I don't know if they are flush like #39.

The Glassair has an advantage with a thinner airfoil. And the fuselage seems to have less separation than a stock legacy. But the disadvantage is that in order to take full advantage you need to close out the main gear like on #39 and #24.
          Last edited by CubersWrist; 02-01-2021, 07:58 PM.
          "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

I've been out of the loop for about a year and a half (I unretired!), and saw this thread when I checked back in. Sorry to see it wither away so quickly. I see the Sport Class as Reno's salvation and would love to see what better minds than mine have to say about Jeff's topic.

Comment

I have shared these on this forum before, but for the sake of starting some discussion, I'll share them again.

First there is a report on the clipped wingtips we did on the Legacy.
              0Years : 0Months : 0Days : 0Hrs : 0Mins : 0Secs Introduction During the 2017 National Championship Air Races, team One Moment was pitted opposite Kevin Eldridge’s NXT “Relentless”. This meant we had the whole week to observe the sleek airframe. The wingtips in particular, have always caught my eye. The pointed shape is designedContinue reading Clipped Wingtip Mod

And second is an essay I wrote regarding the current state of the Sport Class.
              0Years : 0Months : 0Days : 0Hrs : 0Mins : 0Secs “The Unlimiteds are dying,” is once again the topic for air racing fans. This time it’s because Rod Lewis sold “232”. The stories say it will be shipped to Germany and restored to stock. But at the same time “Rare Bear” is back inContinue reading The Golden Age of Sport Class

Race #30 is flying after a long off-season. Nothing terribly interesting to share at the moment. Just a long painful process of cleaning up the electrical system and reworking the ergonomics of the panel.
              "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                And second is an essay I wrote regarding the current state of the Sport Class.
                http://teamonemoment.com/2019/05/the...f-sport-class/
                I may have said here this before, but it's interesting that plentiful WWII fighters more or less killed the unique Golden Age racers. A dichotomy to that era, the Sport Class is now the Golden Age of air racing development.

So if someone maxes the displacement limit with a race tuned engine, does an airframe exist that can support that power with all the cooling requirements?

Comment

Working...
                X