"Star Wars" Millennium Falcon and air racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Star Wars" Millennium Falcon and air racing

I'm sure some on this forum read the article in the 2020 Oct./Nov. Smithsonian Air and Space magazine--"The Air Battles That Became Star Wars." I thought for sure someone would mention it to bring to the attention of others that might have missed it. It's a very interesting article but what really caught my attention was on Page 39 where it talks about when sound designer Ben Burtt went to the Mojave Air Races in the mid 1970s, "To record some planes." He was able to get out to the pylons during racing and record unlimiteds flying 15 feet above him. Quoting from the article--"Almost all of the spaceship sounds (in Star Wars) came out of those Mojave recordings, including the Falcon.' Burtt radically slowed the Doppler-warped sounds of Packard Merlin engines from P-51 Mustangs to create the flyby sound effect, sometimes adding a thunderclap or even a lion's roar."

Now I've had to go back and watch Star Wars again to see if I can sorta recognize these sounds. Anyone else do that?

Re: "Star Wars" Millennium Falcon and air racing

No, but I will now! That's awesome, thanks for the info!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Cool story.

The Real Aerial Battles That Inspired Star Wars
      remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Star Wars marathon on tv today. You can totally tell in the first few scenes that the Millennium Falcon appears in. That’s awesome.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
        X