Another Wingman quiz: The Alpha Racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Wingman quiz: The Alpha Racers

This is a Race from a few years back. It has the major players of the time.

So give us the year and the players, and how this particular race played out. Speedy excluded for a day or so -- he will know. The weather is a major clue here...

Extra points awarded if you can identify the owner of the Lockheed transport in the lower left (not the Ilyushin).

Neal
    Attached Files

Re: Another Wingman quiz: The Alpha Racers

I think it was the 1990 Sunday Unlimited Gold Final.

Comment

Was the Lockheed owned by Wiley Sanders? That plane has been painted like that forever!
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

To more properly respond to the other parts of your quiz; I think it was 1990 and was the second of three intense years of The Bear, Strega, and Tsunami duking it out.
        Skip flying Tsunami, quickly took the lead and held off the Lyle in Rare Bear, until they passed the home pylon to complete lap 3. Lyle pulled even at that point and was able to begin to pull discernably ahead by the backstretch. Tiger was running third, staying high, and eventually closed on Tsunami while the Bear ran-off and left them, clicking off record pace laps.
        At the end of a very clean (no mayday, no DNF) race, Lyle took the victory at a average speed of 468 and some change. Tsunami was second and Strega finished third.

No disrespect intended by using the pilots first names in this account and many thanks to Mr. Haskins videos for enabling me to enjoy those years of racing at Reno!

Comment

That was a great race.

There was controversy over how Skip ended up in front at the start. I seem to remember that this might be one of the few times Lyle actually hit the nitrous button. I've never seen individual lap speeds for this race. I wonder if Skip slowed down toward the end -- his closure rate was really impressive when he finally made the move, and Skip was never a factor after the pass.

Tsunami's finest hour....or at least for three laps. Tsunami, Rare Bear, and Strega go at it hammer and tongs for the 1990 National Championship at Reno.

Neal
          Last edited by wingman; 12-10-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Impressive knowledge for this quiz! I didn't think answers would be so quick or complete. Russ -- how did you figure out the year? And then another quick answer on Wiley's Lockheed. Some years that was the support vehicle for the team, and other years it was the Gulfstream. The trucking business was lucrative in those days.
            Attached Files

Comment

John Slack used to joke that Skip made the start through the drive through at the McDonalds in Lemmon Valley.

I think the first couple laps of that race, watching Tsunami go, are my favorite of all the laps I've seen at Reno over the years.

Comment

I always thought that may be Mr. Haskins voice, sounding so stoked about Tsunami running out front!
                It was those great videos that allowed me to remember how the racers were arrayed (as they appeared in your still photo) on that initial lap of the 1990 final.
                Having seen turn laps in person at the 1990 Texas Races, made me appreciate what she was doing in the videos even more!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Craig View Post
                  I always thought that may be Mr. Haskins voice, sounding so stoked about Tsunami running out front!
                  It was those great videos that allowed me to remember how the racers were arrayed (as they appeared in your still photo) on that initial lap of the 1990 final.
                  Having seen turn laps in person at the 1990 Texas Races, made me appreciate what she was doing in the videos even more!
                  Yeah, I guess I did get a bit enthusiastic on the Bradfire tape about that. :-) At heart I'm a fan, you know?

Comment

Working...
                  X