Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 114

Thread: What If....2021

  1. #71

    Default Re: What If....2021

    We appreciate all your efforts
    "young" Thomas

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,274

    Default Re: What If....2021


  3. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    1,053

    Default Re: What If....2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    My ICAS "virtual convention" starts tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I suspect shows in early to mid-2021 may have to make adjustments but hopefully not cancel...again! Enough already.

    Military teams and ACC announce their 2021 schedules (2022 for Blues and Birds) tomorrow at 0710. No doubt it will be posted here in short order.

    Keep your fingers crossed folks. It would be great if we could get Blues and Birds in alternating years.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    8,283

    Default Re: What If....2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Keep your fingers crossed folks. It would be great if we could get Blues and Birds in alternating years.
    Both crossed, Schlemield, Schlimazeled, Hasenpfefferd and Incorporated even kissed my lucky boobookitty!!!!!!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,751

    Default Re: What If....2021

    I kissed a Blarney stone! Well, actually a green rock I found in the yard. Smelled funny...
    Hope it helps!

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    1,053

    Default Re: What If....2021

    Well, good news is we got the F-22 Raptor in 2021 as well as the Tbirds.

    Bad news...no Blue Angels in 2022. TBirds haven't released their 2022 sked yet. Some sort of administrative issues in DC I suspect.

    Really wish we could get both teams on an alternating year schedule. I know that for years where Reno does NOT have a jet team, local attendance suffers quite a bit.

    Maybe the TBirds will make Reno an annual event!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,751

    Default Re: What If....2021

    Yep. The locals show up for the teams. A lot leave before the final races after the teams land. The people I talk to (not regulars) also looove the military demo's and the noise, and the static military where the kiddies can interact is a biggie also.
    A lot I know look at it like auto racing. "What is so great about a bunch of planes flying in circles".

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: What If....2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Well, good news is we got the F-22 Raptor in 2021 as well as the Tbirds.

    Bad news...no Blue Angels in 2022. TBirds haven't released their 2022 sked yet. Some sort of administrative issues in DC I suspect.

    Really wish we could get both teams on an alternating year schedule. I know that for years where Reno does NOT have a jet team, local attendance suffers quite a bit.

    Maybe the TBirds will make Reno an annual event!
    Owen,

    Yeah - saw that earlier. Bummer. Do you have any sense of whether a more "airshow friendly" weekend like we have kicked around here would help tilt the scales on the demo teams' decision-making? Just curious if the potential perception that they are not the headliners, or that they at least share that role in a way that to my knowledge no other airshow requires, has any impact on a yes/no. Obviously, the daily schedule could also play a part from a perspective of being part of a long, heavily packed day.

    I didn't weigh-in at the time but your post which effectively positions the challenge as evolve or die is, as usual, spot on. It is the nature of the universe. Doesn't mean we/I have to like it but it does mean we/I have to abide by it.

    James

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    1,053

    Default Re: What If....2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Yep. The locals show up for the teams. A lot leave before the final races after the teams land. The people I talk to (not regulars) also looove the military demo's and the noise, and the static military where the kiddies can interact is a biggie also.
    A lot I know look at it like auto racing. "What is so great about a bunch of planes flying in circles".
    It's true, Leo. And that's who we must appeal to if this thing is going to last. Which is another reason I continue to push for all military teams/single ships to stage at RTS, not RNO. Watching the demo teams prepare, start, taxi, launch, perform, recover, taxi, and shut down is all part of the show. And they regard it as a very important part of their performance. Remote shows are not necessarily welcomed with open arms.

    As you say (and I fully realize it's blasphemy), those fans would MUCH rather watch the entire demo team performance than watch small planes flying in circles. It simply doesn't resonate with them as much.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,751

    Default Re: What If....2021

    The negative I have about them on-site is the ramp space they take up, right in front of where I sit, and the huge time chunk their whole show takes. But that is just me.
    You can hear the crowd clapping and whistling during their ground show so it is a tradeoff. I know the FBO likes the fuel sales, even though it takes a lot of effort on the fuelers part.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •