Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What If....2021

Default Re: What If....2021

Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Good one about Red Bull! How'd that work out...
    That's because they weren't seaplanes and they were only racing against the clock. Reno seaplanes would be totally different. And then you got all the emergency runway you could need, no risk of hitting buildings or future encrouchment of housing developments, and population centers to view from the beach/high rise apartments.

but...saltwater would be bad....I'd need to look at the H1 list of sites.
    "young" Thomas

Sport filled with colorful characters!

Always wondered exactly how much leverage RARA and the Classes have on each other WRT KRTS being essentially the only sandbox around...
    At the time that this particular conversation too place, the Unlimiteds had just come off of a season where they held races at Miami, Reno and Mojave...so they felt that they had leverage to use against RARA that they did not have the only game in town.

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    That's because they weren't seaplanes and they were only racing against the clock. Reno seaplanes would be totally different. And then you got all the emergency runway you could need, no risk of hitting buildings or future encrouchment of housing developments, and population centers to view from the beach/high rise apartments.

but...saltwater would be bad....I'd need to look at the H1 list of sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    At the time that this particular conversation too place, the Unlimiteds had just come off of a season where they held races at Miami, Reno and Mojave...so they felt that they had leverage to use against RARA that they did not have the only game in town.
    Got it. Good info. Different times...
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

I just remembered my first few years at Reno National Championship Air Races (spelling it out for the benefit of search engine bots) First time I only went Sunday..... This would have been '79, if that's the year Steve went in. I don't think in any of the years after that where I managed to get a few more days in out there between job and wife.

Looking at it in marketing sense why movie theaters had double features and intermissions. Do you remember the little ditty they would play "Let's all go to the lobby..."

Fluff means sales for the close to the stands marketers big time. Mike Houghton told me more than once that a cold weekend was always a disaster for bottom line.. lots of commission.

Guess what I'm saying is, and forgive me if this has already been mentioned, that a fair amount of financial success of the event involves fees paid by vendors.

Butts in seats need to be motivated and given time to partake in this part of the scheme...

Again, forgive me if previously mentioned, I'm having an eye issue my readers only work if the screen it about three inches away, I can see pretty good at arm's length on stuff like the website but I follow the threads by my email notifications and my email text is just out of range.....
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

With the cost of a booth and the RARA commission, there HAS to be money there. Not enough to support anything but it has to help. I know those fixed costs have kept me away from selling.
    The "dead" spots give people time, like you said Wayne, to visit the various vendors and "facilities". Also gives me a chance for a quick nap...

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    With the cost of a booth and the RARA commission, there HAS to be money there. Not enough to support anything but it has to help. I know those fixed costs have kept me away from selling.
    The "dead" spots give people time, like you said Wayne, to visit the various vendors and "facilities". Also gives me a chance for a quick nap...
    Certainly not in my wheelhouse but according to the website, RARA charges $600 minimum for a booth, plus 20% of receipts with a minimum of $800. No idea how that actually pencils against what RARA spends on rental from RTAA and trash/recycling (believe that's over $400K) but let's say there are 75 booths. At a minimum RARA would see $105K from concessions ($45K from rent and $60K from sales). It would take some serious sales to break even there. I realize it may not be apples to apples to put concessions up against rent and trash but it does give you a sense of things.

Is it possible shorter/fewer days means lower concession revenue, I suppose that's entirely possible. But then the rent would be lower as well.

So many variables to consider here. Lots of moving parts...some within RARA's control, others...not so much.
    Last edited by Air Boss; 12-03-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Aside from the money issue for 2021 there is also as to where we are at with the Corona Virus issue restrictions as to whether people & air race teams will be willing to risk showing up?
    Lockheed Bob

Certainly not in my wheelhouse but according to the website, RARA charges $600 minimum for a booth, plus 20% of receipts with a minimum of $800. No idea how that actually pencils against what RARA spends on rental from RTAA and trash/recycling (believe that's over $400K) but let's say there are 75 booths. At a minimum RARA would see $105K from concessions ($45K from rent and $60K from sales). It would take some serious sales to break even there. I realize it may not be apples to apples to put concessions up against rent and trash but it does give you a sense of things.

Is it possible shorter/fewer days means lower concession revenue, I suppose that's entirely possible. But then the rent would be lower as well.

So many variables to consider here. Lots of moving parts...some within RARA's control, others...not so much.
    Houghton sincerely told me on several occasions that beer sales could make or break the annual budget. A cold year usually meant they did not meet goals.. Like or dislike Mike, he did preside successfully for many years....

Bottom line though is that I think vendor sales are crucial to the event... something to think about while planning the action of the event I'm thinking..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

I sure hope we have a handle on this plague by then. Hopefully most of us will be vaccinated by then. I wonder though, my company has told those of us in at-risk situations (In my case underlying health) not to expect to be back in the office until 3rd quarter next year...

Isle of Man organizers announced that the June 2021 Isle of Man event will not be held until 2022.

We'll see what happens in our state, I know the January 2021 Garth Brooks concert in the new Raiders stadium is sold out.