Another quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another quiz

This grumpy looking guy was a fairly well known figure at Reno over many years. He was involved in more than one Championship team.

So what do you think is the occasion here? When was this taken, and how long had it been for this man without a Championship?

Neal
    Attached Files

Re: Another quiz

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    This grumpy looking guy was a fairly well known figure at Reno over many years. He was involved in more than one Championship team.

So what do you think is the occasion here? When was this taken, and how long had it been for this man without a Championship?

Neal
    Dwight Thorne RR Merlin artist imho. Working on Tsunami, might be checking screens. Worked with him and Kerch in 1970's maintaining California Warbirds P-51 and AT-6.
    Both were phenomenal.

Comment

Neal
      It's Dwight Thorn, when and where I don't know, but he doesn't look happy. I'll never forget the after race party at Phoenix when for some odd reason he made his entrance by sneaking in under one side of the tent while holding a glass of wine and not spilling a drop.

Comment

Neal
        It's Dwight Thorn, when and where I don't know, but he doesn't look happy. I'll never forget the after race party at Phoenix when for some odd reason he made his entrance by sneaking in under one side of the tent while holding a glass of wine and not spilling a drop.

Comment

One of the original Reno crew chiefs...

...Reno '64

(left to right) Dwight Thorn...Chuck Lyford...Bob Love...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SFW-##-2L-S64-33.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	231507

Comment

Great photo, Sledge. Are you sure that's Dwight? That person looks taller, and the hair looks wrong, or maybe I just have never seen him with a crew cut. The glasses look right, though. That's also the earliest race photo of Bob that I remember seeing. Looks like he still had some color in his hair.

Was Dwight officially the crew chief that first year?

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Racer 18 View Post
              <> Worked with him and Kerch in 1970's maintaining California Warbirds P-51 and AT-6.
              Both were phenomenal.
              Wow. That would have been at SJ Muni (Intl now) where the California Warbirds were parked on their own ramp area between the taxiways.
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Ok, I'll bite.

- Dwight Thorn
                - Tsunami
                - Reno, from the hills in the back ground
                - Between '86 and '89 by the silver paint job
                - 1987 by the look on Dwights face:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tsunami-87-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	231508

(After qualifying second at 470.899)

Comment

Good reasoning. It's 1986. I don't really know the answer to my question about what Dwight was thinking, but I know he really wanted a Championship. It had been a very long time without and he had real hopes that he, Tiger and Kerchenfaut could do it. This was early in the week and Strega was having issues, and he came over to have a look at the new competition. This look was the result.

I do have a further question for the board though. Dwight joined Strega some time in 1985. The whole Destefani operation was in some disarray at that point, and Kerch joined some time later that year. Strega won at a very high speed at Bakersfield, and struggled for the next two Renos. Then came 1987, and the all conquering (for one year) Mouse phenomenon. Was the winning engine at Bakersfield still the Nixon motor Strega had been running previously, or was it a new Thorn motor? Were the Reno 85 and 86 motors newly built by Thorn in part or in full? Was 1987 the first time Strega had Dwight's full on mouse?

Neal

Comment

Ok, now that I've shown that I didn't know that Dwight wasn't Tsunami's crew chief, I want to add to Wingman's question:

What exactly defines a "mouse" motor?

Comment

Dwight and Bill Kerchenfaut were sitting around after Bill left Sandberg's deal, and got to talking about the Rolls/Packard connecting rods being a weak point when Merlins were spun up to Reno rpms. Dwight got out an Allison rod and the two figured out that the Allison rod could work. A full Mouse has those Allison rods and massive strengthening of everything. It also runs a different supercharger gear ratio, which allows a Merlin with more "torque, sort of" at lower rpms than the Nixon/Hovey/Zeuschel/Sandberg high rev motors. He also strapped down various bits and did a LOT of other stuff. So you ended up with a motor running at say, 135 inches and 3400 rpm rather than 105 inches and 3800 rpm with the other model. A cuffed Hamilton Standard prop completed the picture.
                      When it all worked you ended up with a 465 mph and up Mustang rather than a 445 mph Mustang. Both sorts of Merlin blew up regularly, but when the Mouse roared, as in 1987, the racing world was amazed.
                      Dwight called this very different motor a "Mouse Motor" and the name stuck.

I'm still curious about the 1985 and 1986 Strega engines...

Neal

Comment

Great photo, Sledge. Are you sure that's Dwight? That person looks taller, and the hair looks wrong, or maybe I just have never seen him with a crew cut. The glasses look right, though. That's also the earliest race photo of Bob that I remember seeing. Looks like he still had some color in his hair.

Neal

Dwight (1937-2008), looks taller because he was seated on that tool box, maybe his feet didn't reach the ground ??.

RE: Dwight being the crew chief of the Chuck Lyford owned, Bardahl sponsored P-51, flown on the pylons by Bob Love and Lyford in the cross-country at Reno '64.

""Ron Musson Bardahl's Director of Marketing and Promotions directed the "Miss Bardahl" hydroplane crew to assist Lyford's crew chief Dwight Thorn.

When the "Bardahl Special" was finished, it had the most powerful Rolls-Royce engine that had ever been put into a Mustang"" (up to that time)

Quote from "A Race to Freedom-The Mira Slovak Story" by David Williams -Page 26

The first time I posted this photo (11 years ago).

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Thank you, Sledge. I have learned a bit here. This was all long before my time, and the published articles of the time rarely mentioned crew chiefs. I didn't meet Dwight Thorn til the late 1970s and didn't really get to know him til the mid 80s. 1964 never came up in conversation (nor did 1972). I wish I'd spent more time asking questions of both Dwight and Bill Kerchenfaut. I miss them both.

So what do you know about 1972? My understanding is that Dwight built those engines for #5 (what was Jack Hovey's involvement in those days?). Jim Larsen was again involved. Who was the crew chief for Gunther Balz?

That's still the only picture I've seen of Dwight with a crew cut. I've seen shots of him during the development of #8 and his curly locks are much like they were 40 years later. Maybe Rosie made him get a haircut for the new Races?? LOL

Neal

Comment

Neal
                            Almost looks like Bill Eck (SP?)
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Good reasoning. It's 1986. I don't really know the answer to my question about what Dwight was thinking, but I know he really wanted a Championship. It had been a very long time without and he had real hopes that he, Tiger and Kerchenfaut could do it. This was early in the week and Strega was having issues, and he came over to have a look at the new competition. This look was the result.

I do have a further question for the board though. Dwight joined Strega some time in 1985. The whole Destefani operation was in some disarray at that point, and Kerch joined some time later that year. Strega won at a very high speed at Bakersfield, and struggled for the next two Renos. Then came 1987, and the all conquering (for one year) Mouse phenomenon. Was the winning engine at Bakersfield still the Nixon motor Strega had been running previously, or was it a new Thorn motor? Were the Reno 85 and 86 motors newly built by Thorn in part or in full? Was 1987 the first time Strega had Dwight's full on mouse?

Neal

It's funny I was just reading about this in Birch Matthew's Mustang book this morning! There's a great quote in there about how qualifying went down.

Directly from the book;

Kerchanfaut radioed Destefani and told him, "...They got you at something over 460miles per hour!" "Tiger" said "Bull****, I don't have it at full power." Hinton's crew called him on the radio to alert him to Destefani's speed, since Tsunami had been programmed to qualify at 465 miles per hour. When Hinton was told that Strega had done 466 plus mph he thought his crew was taunting him. He flew his qualifying lap as planned.

It goes on to say that Tiger smashed the prior record held by Dreadnought (452) at 466.674 and Steve was two miles per hour slower!

Comment

Working...
                              X