Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another quiz

Default Another quiz

This grumpy looking guy was a fairly well known figure at Reno over many years. He was involved in more than one Championship team.

So what do you think is the occasion here? When was this taken, and how long had it been for this man without a Championship?

Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R       048 .jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	25244  

Default Re: Another quiz

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    This grumpy looking guy was a fairly well known figure at Reno over many years. He was involved in more than one Championship team.

So what do you think is the occasion here? When was this taken, and how long had it been for this man without a Championship?

Neal
    Dwight Thorne RR Merlin artist imho. Working on Tsunami, might be checking screens. Worked with him and Kerch in 1970's maintaining California Warbirds P-51 and AT-6.
    Both were phenomenal.

Neal
    It's Dwight Thorn, when and where I don't know, but he doesn't look happy. I'll never forget the after race party at Phoenix when for some odd reason he made his entrance by sneaking in under one side of the tent while holding a glass of wine and not spilling a drop.

Neal
    It's Dwight Thorn, when and where I don't know, but he doesn't look happy. I'll never forget the after race party at Phoenix when for some odd reason he made his entrance by sneaking in under one side of the tent while holding a glass of wine and not spilling a drop.

One of the original Reno crew chiefs...

...Reno '64

(left to right) Dwight Thorn...Chuck Lyford...Bob Love...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SFW-##-2L-S64-33.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	396.3 KB 
ID:	25245

Great photo, Sledge. Are you sure that's Dwight? That person looks taller, and the hair looks wrong, or maybe I just have never seen him with a crew cut. The glasses look right, though. That's also the earliest race photo of Bob that I remember seeing. Looks like he still had some color in his hair.

Was Dwight officially the crew chief that first year?

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Racer 18 View Post
    <> Worked with him and Kerch in 1970's maintaining California Warbirds P-51 and AT-6.
    Both were phenomenal.
    Wow. That would have been at SJ Muni (Intl now) where the California Warbirds were parked on their own ramp area between the taxiways.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Ok, I'll bite.

- Dwight Thorn
    - Tsunami
    - Reno, from the hills in the back ground
    - Between '86 and '89 by the silver paint job
    - 1987 by the look on Dwights face:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tsunami-87-.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	25246

(After qualifying second at 470.899)

Good reasoning. It's 1986. I don't really know the answer to my question about what Dwight was thinking, but I know he really wanted a Championship. It had been a very long time without and he had real hopes that he, Tiger and Kerchenfaut could do it. This was early in the week and Strega was having issues, and he came over to have a look at the new competition. This look was the result.

I do have a further question for the board though. Dwight joined Strega some time in 1985. The whole Destefani operation was in some disarray at that point, and Kerch joined some time later that year. Strega won at a very high speed at Bakersfield, and struggled for the next two Renos. Then came 1987, and the all conquering (for one year) Mouse phenomenon. Was the winning engine at Bakersfield still the Nixon motor Strega had been running previously, or was it a new Thorn motor? Were the Reno 85 and 86 motors newly built by Thorn in part or in full? Was 1987 the first time Strega had Dwight's full on mouse?

Neal

Ok, now that I've shown that I didn't know that Dwight wasn't Tsunami's crew chief, I want to add to Wingman's question:

What exactly defines a "mouse" motor?