Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft Identification Help

All,

Tonight my wife received a series of letters from an uncle who is a former Marine and who's health is failing. It is truly an amazing gift as he is going blind, but took the time to write pages and pages about his service. He also included a bunch of pictures that he had. I am wondering if there is someone here that can help me identify the airplanes in this particular picture. The date on top says October 1955 but I believe that was when it was developed, not taken, as many of the pictures have the same date stamp with varying weather conditions and locations. In his letters he refers to the Berlin Airlift and dropping candy out of the plane to kids on the ground, but there are also stories about Belgium, Germany, Korea, Russia, Italy, and more. Very interesting stories that he wrote about.

About the picture.

It looks to me that the plane on the left is bringing the wings down into position and they are not symmetrical in the current position. Looked a bit like a TBM Avenger or a F6F Hellcat but I believe those both flew with three bladed props while in service. Perhaps a Bearcat but they look a little big, but it's hard to tell. I would love any help that anyone could offer.

Thanks in advance!

Tyler
    Attached Files

Re: Aircraft Identification Help

I'm thinking Douglas Skyraiders. They were in Korea and Vietnam. They also have giant 4 blade props, and are not small aircraft.

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 11-16-2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Look like Sky Raiders to me too. Look closely at the pictures and you can see the landing gear door fairing bulge on the front of the gear.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree with the Skyraider conclusion. It's just been so long since I've seen one without a whole bunch hanging off the wings. When Lud Corrao had his in Carson City I saw it "naked" more than once and it does seem to make sense.

Comment

I'm thinking Skyraider, but there is a little resemblance to the AF-2 Guardian.

Comment

Can't begin to thank you all enough for your eagle eyes on this. Is really fun looking back through all the pictures he sent but of course I immediately went to the airplane picture and thought "ooooohhhhh, what's that?!!!"

Comment

Working...
            X