Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new quiz

Default Re: A new quiz

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    I meant the one in my photo. Was the one Jack blew up in the test cell that winter this particular prop, or a different one? And did they ever start the airplane at Reno with the one in my photo?

Hard to believe that this was all taking place 30 years ago. I think I must be getting old...

Neal
    The blue Sky Prop was the one that dissipated on the test stand. The scimitar blade prop in your pics was Skip and Jack's 'compromise' on the concept. T-28C 'triangle' blades with the leading-edge trimmed.

The regular race prop oversped in qualifying/practice, so Skip actually raced the prop in your picture during the Friday and Saturday heat races. The race prop came back from the shop and they swapped it out on Saturday night for Sunday's race.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    The blue Sky Prop was the one that dissipated on the test stand. The scimitar blade prop in your pics was Skip and Jack's 'compromise' on the concept. T-28C 'triangle' blades with the leading-edge trimmed.

The regular race prop oversped in qualifying/practice, so Skip actually raced the prop in your picture during the Friday and Saturday heat races. The race prop came back from the shop and they swapped it out on Saturday night for Sunday's race.
    Hi Big, do you do this stuff out of memory or did you take notes? Personally, I'm having a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast yesterday these days...

You are truly a gift to the sport and we ought to give you a new nic

The Historian!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Thanks Brad -- I did not remember it ever running on the airplane.

The blades in my picture look a lot bigger than the T-28 blades in my other picture, though. Hard to imagine them as cut down stock blades. "Triangle" T-28 blades are not part of my memory bank ( though that particular account is getting pretty drawn down these days).

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Thanks Brad -- I did not remember it ever running on the airplane.

The blades in my picture look a lot bigger than the T-28 blades in my other picture, though. Hard to imagine them as cut down stock blades. "Triangle" T-28 blades are not part of my memory bank ( though that particular account is getting pretty drawn down these days).

Neal
    T-28C blades are 'triangular'. The same kind that Mikey Rupp used on Samurai.

T-28A blades are the big fat (but short) paddle blades like on Stiletto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	north-american-t-28c-trojan-CWN2W7.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	25257  

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Hi Big, do you do this stuff out of memory or did you take notes? Personally, I'm having a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast yesterday these days...

You are truly a gift to the sport and we ought to give you a new nic

The Historian!
    Naw...Ralph Payne was "Historian". :-)

I still have trouble seeing how they could get those wide blades out of the blades on that T-28.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R91    040 .jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	25259  

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Naw...Ralph Payne was "Historian". :-)
    lYa'know... when I wrote that post, in the back of my mind, I KNEW, that had been used before...

Well crap, we gotta give you some sort of nic!

LOL

Love ya Brad, thanks for visiting and contributing.. still don't know how in heck you do it..

Although.. when I was a warehouse manager/do everything LOL I could tell you where EVERY single item in the four buildings we had...

Maybe I used up my memory cells....

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    lYa'know... when I wrote that post, in the back of my mind, I KNEW, that had been used before...

Well crap, we gotta give you some sort of nic!

LOL

Love ya Brad, thanks for visiting and contributing.. still don't know how in heck you do it..

Although.. when I was a warehouse manager/do everything LOL I could tell you where EVERY single item in the four buildings we had...

Maybe I used up my memory cells....

Its one of his Super Powers...

I remember "Tiger" tried those type of blades on "Strega" & he didn't like them. I think Aero Propeller made them?
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    I remember "Tiger" tried those type of blades on "Strega" & he didn't like them. I think Aero Propeller made them?
    U.S. Propeller service made the Tiger's Claw prop for Destefani. It went through two or three years of 'limited' testing before Tiger gave up on it. Kerch maintained that it had great potential, they just never dedicated enough testing under 'conditions' to figure that potential out. Tiger's impatience versus Kerch's tenacity.

Howard Pardue also tried a scimitar blade on Fury too around the same time.