A new quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new quiz

It's complicated inside a propeller hub. Name the Racer and the year. There are definitely enough clues here to solve this...

Neal
    Attached Files

Re: A new quiz

based on no "chin scoop" I'm guessing Tsunami
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Tsunami ’89?
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

You can see a bit of color on the carb intake -- would that help?

There is another major clue here -- the shape of some visible components.

Neal
        Last edited by wingman; 11-16-2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Well, I had to go look at Taichi's drawings so I'm cheating a little, and I might still be wrong but:

- Red is 1991
          - Maybe that's the 'schmitar' prop? I can't really see it in that pic. I would have taken it for wider than stock blades, anyway.

Comment

Reno 1991

I've always wondered if Skip had a piece of the action in negotiations around that prop -- he sure seemed interested in getting it on the airplane.. The team put a lot of effort into changing props. Everything was running pretty well in 1991 -- maybe they were so used to being buried in the airplane all week in previous years that they just changed props to keep busy...

Neal
            Attached Files

Comment

Could also be that Skip is a test pilot and he really wanted to see what it would do with that prop on it.

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              Reno 1991

I've always wondered if Skip had a piece of the action in negotiations around that prop -- he sure seemed interested in getting it on the airplane.. The team put a lot of effort into changing props. Everything was running pretty well in 1991 -- maybe they were so used to being buried in the airplane all week in previous years that they just changed props to keep busy...

Neal

Comment

Could be, Tom. Skip always seemed to be trying to sell something though -- remember that little radial sportplane he was promoting for a while? I'm pretty sure Tsunami never flew with that prop -- did they ever even start the airplane with the prop on it at all?
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm pretty sure Tsunami never flew with that prop -- did they ever even start the airplane with the prop on it at all?
                  Are you referring to the 'big blue' Sky Prop?

Comment

I meant the one in my photo. Was the one Jack blew up in the test cell that winter this particular prop, or a different one? And did they ever start the airplane at Reno with the one in my photo?

Hard to believe that this was all taking place 30 years ago. I think I must be getting old...

Neal

Comment

I meant the one in my photo. Was the one Jack blew up in the test cell that winter this particular prop, or a different one? And did they ever start the airplane at Reno with the one in my photo?

Hard to believe that this was all taking place 30 years ago. I think I must be getting old...

Neal
                      The blue Sky Prop was the one that dissipated on the test stand. The scimitar blade prop in your pics was Skip and Jack's 'compromise' on the concept. T-28C 'triangle' blades with the leading-edge trimmed.

The regular race prop oversped in qualifying/practice, so Skip actually raced the prop in your picture during the Friday and Saturday heat races. The race prop came back from the shop and they swapped it out on Saturday night for Sunday's race.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                        The blue Sky Prop was the one that dissipated on the test stand. The scimitar blade prop in your pics was Skip and Jack's 'compromise' on the concept. T-28C 'triangle' blades with the leading-edge trimmed.

The regular race prop oversped in qualifying/practice, so Skip actually raced the prop in your picture during the Friday and Saturday heat races. The race prop came back from the shop and they swapped it out on Saturday night for Sunday's race.
                        Hi Big, do you do this stuff out of memory or did you take notes? Personally, I'm having a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast yesterday these days...

You are truly a gift to the sport and we ought to give you a new nic

The Historian!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Brad -- I did not remember it ever running on the airplane.

The blades in my picture look a lot bigger than the T-28 blades in my other picture, though. Hard to imagine them as cut down stock blades. "Triangle" T-28 blades are not part of my memory bank ( though that particular account is getting pretty drawn down these days).

Neal

Comment

Thanks Brad -- I did not remember it ever running on the airplane.

The blades in my picture look a lot bigger than the T-28 blades in my other picture, though. Hard to imagine them as cut down stock blades. "Triangle" T-28 blades are not part of my memory bank ( though that particular account is getting pretty drawn down these days).

Neal
                            T-28C blades are 'triangular'. The same kind that Mikey Rupp used on Samurai.

T-28A blades are the big fat (but short) paddle blades like on Stiletto.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              Hi Big, do you do this stuff out of memory or did you take notes? Personally, I'm having a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast yesterday these days...

You are truly a gift to the sport and we ought to give you a new nic

The Historian!
                              Naw...Ralph Payne was "Historian". :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X