Air Camel Warbirds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Camel Warbirds.

AAFO was recently looking for Air Camel pictures. I ran across one today while looking for something else, and thought I'd post it here.

I guess a good quiz question might be: What is the occasion here, and what year is it?

Neal
    Attached Files

Re: Air Camel Warbirds.

Awards banquet. Some might think this was 1991, Lyle Shelton's last win. But my "somewhat" faded memory recalls it as 1990.

However, I'm that guy that uses his GPS to find my way home!

Marc

Comment

RJ Reynolds sponsored the Air Camel Warbirds in 1988 and 1989. I know Lyle was personally against the idea of a cigarette company sponsoring the races, but he was happy to see the contingency $$$ that it brought to the class. As I recall, that big check got split amongst the crew the first year, but there was some complaining that went on about it amongst them, and maybe Lyle 'reinvested' the money the following year instead of giving it to the boys.

Comment

Big Jim,

Have you been taking "Focus Factor"? Excellent memory. You are correct. And now I'm searching my faded memory banks to remember if this picture is 1988 or 1989. I'm hoping the Crown Royal will bring me clarity.

I'm thinking 1989. I don't remember Lyle having that jacket in 1988. But it was 30+ years ago. I'm still trying to find my car keys from this morning.
        Last edited by Bigfoot; 11-14-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Big Jim don't need no Focus Factor! They used cloned Big Jim brain cells to create it!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm afraid it was indeed 1988. I don't remember a check like this in 1989, though there may have been one. As you can see there were black team jackets in '88. The one I got after the Races was somewhat different, though.

This victory was a very big deal for Lyle, after 12 or so years of heartache, frustration, and financial stress without a Championship. It was a very big deal on a smaller scale for me too, being my first Reno as a member of the team.

Here the team (and Sandy Sanders) honor their young crew chief. This guy was instrumental in Bear development, and the 1988 Bear was a different beast from say the 1985 Bear...

Neal
            Attached Files
            Last edited by wingman; 11-14-2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Neal,

I believe you are correct. After a bit of Crown Royal I did gain some clarity.

Marc

Comment

I prefer Johnny Walker Black or a bit of Tequila, but whatever works...

Comment

I remember talking with one of the engine guys after Dave departed the crew. I asked about all of the foam and rubber that was used to seal up the holes between the cylinder baffles and such. He said they left it off because it made it harder to work on the engine. I didn't have the heart to tell him that was a key part in making it go fast.

Here the team (and Sandy Sanders) honor their young crew chief. This guy was instrumental in Bear development, and the 1988 Bear was a different beast from say the 1985 Bear...

Neal[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                  X