Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Another Wingman quiz

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,904

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    In 1988 who could not be enthralled by the Unlimiteds? Qualifying alone was exciting because you knew, and the pilots knew, that several teams that had worked and suffered to get there would not even get to race because there were several more racers than available slots. Sunday's Gold Race was all supermodifieds. It was a remarkable time. But there were 40 or more other airplanes in the other classes that worked just as hard to get there and make the show. I've been telling people for many years now that much of the best racing at Reno was in the IF1 and Biplane ranks. Some amazing people too.

    I'm always glad when these folks get some of the attention they deserve.

    Neal
    I think 1988 will always be looked at as the Zenith at Reno for pretty much all the classes. Speeds have gotten higher, but I'm not sure you ever had more competitive, full fields all the way around.

    As I've said before, I'm glad I lived it.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Auburn, CA
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    My first year at Reno was 1987. Dad bought a T-6 and we went racing. Never got to be a fan and then work my way onto a race crew. Just saw life from the pits right from the get go. I am very thankful to have been there during the boom times. Simply some amazing people and machines!
    PS - it all came flooding back a few years ago when I saw the original Vertical fin from Mr Awsome in a dessert boneyard. I could not have told you the color or the race number, but when I caught a glimpse of it, there was no doubt what it was. I texted a picture to my father as my own Wingman Quiz and he ID'd it with no hesitation.
    PPS - it fits inside a Subaru Outback.


    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    I think 1988 will always be looked at as the Zenith at Reno for pretty much all the classes. Speeds have gotten higher, but I'm not sure you ever had more competitive, full fields all the way around.

    As I've said before, I'm glad I lived it.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Canadian Rockies
    Posts
    2,230

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    Hello Tom. Do you all still have Tinkertoy? That was always a great airplane -- I remember when it first turned up at Mojave in the '70s with Gary Meermans. How many T-6s does the family have these days?

    Neal

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    Post a pic of the vertical fin from Mr. Awsome please.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,241

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Hello Tom. Do you all still have Tinkertoy? That was always a great airplane -- I remember when it first turned up at Mojave in the '70s with Gary Meermans. How many T-6s does the family have these days?

    Neal
    Last time I was down there they had Tinker Toy and Kitchen Pass.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,241

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    Pic of Mr. Awesome’s vert stab...

    http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...-metal-freebie
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Auburn, CA
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    Yes, we still have Tinkertoy. It is our Smoker. We make a point of flying it over the local parades. Dad is king of burning the smoke oil. He still flies it regularly although he is 83, so my brother, sister and i bought him an Aeronca L3 to continue his flying antics after he gets cut off from flying Tinkertoy.
    A friend just finished restoring a stock T-6. Took him for a ride and he could not believe how fast it is. I would reckon that any T-6 that won the gold race over the years is plenty fast compared to a stocker. The paint is getting a little tired as much of it hasn't been painted since before we bought it in 87. Critical Mass is getting painted as I type this, so maybe Ken will decide that we need to go thru it. He is the driver of our project list.
    As a side note, Dennis Sanders told me last month that Tinkertoy was the first T-6 he ever soloed. Gary owned it at that time.
    TJ
    PS Fence Sence is correct. Tinkertoy and Kitchen Pass are part of the stable.


    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Hello Tom. Do you all still have Tinkertoy? That was always a great airplane -- I remember when it first turned up at Mojave in the '70s with Gary Meermans. How many T-6s does the family have these days?

    Neal

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Canadian Rockies
    Posts
    2,230

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    Tom -- Gary always said #97 (the future Tinkertoy) was special, and that he really didn't know why it was quite fast even with pretty stock power. It was built up pretty much as a racer, as Kitchen Pass was thirty years later. How do the two airplanes compare today, in level flight at comparable power?

    Here's the future Tinkertoy on the course at Reno 1977.

    Tell your Dad Hello for us. Tell him Birgitta misses him.

    Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R77  Sat Silver  116 .jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	25261  
    Last edited by wingman; 11-27-2020 at 10:28 PM.

  9. #19

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    Yes, we still have Tinkertoy. It is our Smoker. We make a point of flying it over the local parades. Dad is king of burning the smoke oil. He still flies it regularly although he is 83, so my brother, sister and i bought him an Aeronca L3 to continue his flying antics after he gets cut off from flying Tinkertoy.
    A friend just finished restoring a stock T-6. Took him for a ride and he could not believe how fast it is. I would reckon that any T-6 that won the gold race over the years is plenty fast compared to a stocker. The paint is getting a little tired as much of it hasn't been painted since before we bought it in 87. Critical Mass is getting painted as I type this, so maybe Ken will decide that we need to go thru it. He is the driver of our project list.
    As a side note, Dennis Sanders told me last month that Tinkertoy was the first T-6 he ever soloed. Gary owned it at that time.
    TJ
    PS Fence Sence is correct. Tinkertoy and Kitchen Pass are part of the stable.
    TJ,
    Great to see the Dwelle family is prospering. Flew my last race in '94, with you as #1 and myself #3 in Silver. Always enjoyed flying and racing with the Dwelle's. Fond memories of a demo race at Abbotsford, BC and flying home night formation with your dad, Eddie Van Fossen, Al Goss and myself. Sold my T6 about 10 years ago and upgraded to an RV6. Please say hello to the family.
    Randy
    Thunderbolt #18 (ret.)

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Canadian Rockies
    Posts
    2,230

    Default Re: Another Wingman quiz

    The airplane that became Tinkertoy had a number of lives before Tom Dwelle. Here in 1983 it's the pace plane, taking newbies out for a practice race. Jerry was not part of the formation -- we were on a different mission (which led to a couple of widely published images -- a posthumous thank you to Jerry MacDonald for that little flight). We had gas, and Jerry heard over the radio that the practice race was happening and we went over to get a couple of photographs. I don't think we were as close as this looks -- racers always are the priority and don't need distraction...

    Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R83  setting up for practice race   117 .jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	25267  

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •