Another Wingman quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Wingman quiz

The other quiz was fun, so here's another. I have removed the pilot's name, for obvious reasons. This was an interesting airplane. It was owned by a group of lawyers (so imagine what team meetings must have been like!). Thus the names Legal Eagle and Class Action that it carried over the years. It raced off and on for a decade or so, usually flown by another pilot. One year the regular pilot could not race so this guy was asked. The airplane was very far from a stock Pitts, and was constantly being worked on and changed considerably during its time racing. It never quite rose to the top, though this pilot got it over 200mph and once again into a Gold.

But this quiz is to ask who is this man? He was between Championships at the time, having won Reno twice and an airplane he built having won 3 more with another owner. He was one of the very best stick and rudder pilots ever to race at Reno, and was a great fabricator and designer, and was a veteran of 30 years (off and on) of Reno racing. Another top pick for any Air Racing Hall of Fame. He was also a very decent and well liked man, who helped out many fellow racers over the years.

Unfortunately, he was in a class followed by about 3 or 4 fans, and so when this shot was taken was pretty unknown outside his racing class.

So who is this?? This should be easy (maybe too easy) with all these clues -- we'll see.

Neal
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wingman; 11-10-2020, 12:10 AM.

Re: Another Wingman quiz

The late great Tom Abberly.

Comment

And I am one of those 3-4 fans I guess...
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
        The late great Tom Abberly.
        My memory is going south these days.. when did Tom pass?
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here's a very nice obituary

Noted biplane racing champion Tom Aberle passed away on June 15, 2019.

He had a amazing career -- it's a shame he was not better known. Like a lot of racers in the "lesser classes" he never got the credit he deserved for his life in air racing...

Here's another Kitplanes article specifically about Phantom. It is a longish read but every word is worth the time. It's especially worth noting how difficult the airplane is to fly -- Tom was legendary for building airplanes that were really fast, but that only he could fly. In Tom Aberle's world fast trumped flyable every time.

Phantom dominates biplane pylon racing by harnessing traditional homebuilding talent.

Here is the homepage for Tom's business. It seems to have last been updated years ago, as the family business has moved on and has a separate modern webpage, but they have apparently maintained Tom's old site as well. If you hit the link for "Racing History- dating from the 1960's" you get a hugely entertaining selection of Tom's own writing about his experiences over the years. This man was really something. I feel honored to have known him a little bit.

Neal
          Last edited by wingman; 11-10-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

All those years at the races Tom Aberle was a name that you heard frequently over the PA. A great racer.

Comment

Dang! I actually knew this one right away but I’m a bit late to the party again. Someday I’ll win a Wingman quiz.

The lunacy of Phantom has always fascinated me. Both Tom and Phantom, true legends.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

From Reno 2007

Click image for larger version

Name:	_RNO0945.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	231497Click image for larger version

Name:	_RNO1272 copy.jpg
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	231495Click image for larger version

Name:	_RNO1271 copy.jpg
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	231496

Comment

Another fun quiz - thanks! At my first Reno in 1988, I was enthralled by the unlimiteds. Still am. But in the past ten years or so, I have come to really enjoy F1 and the biplanes. We never miss them now. Some of the best racing, and very accessible in the pits. I really appreciate the racers in these classes who have shown up year after year, without a huge fan following, and done what they love.

Comment

In 1988 who could not be enthralled by the Unlimiteds? Qualifying alone was exciting because you knew, and the pilots knew, that several teams that had worked and suffered to get there would not even get to race because there were several more racers than available slots. Sunday's Gold Race was all supermodifieds. It was a remarkable time. But there were 40 or more other airplanes in the other classes that worked just as hard to get there and make the show. I've been telling people for many years now that much of the best racing at Reno was in the IF1 and Biplane ranks. Some amazing people too.

I'm always glad when these folks get some of the attention they deserve.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                      In 1988 who could not be enthralled by the Unlimiteds? Qualifying alone was exciting because you knew, and the pilots knew, that several teams that had worked and suffered to get there would not even get to race because there were several more racers than available slots. Sunday's Gold Race was all supermodifieds. It was a remarkable time. But there were 40 or more other airplanes in the other classes that worked just as hard to get there and make the show. I've been telling people for many years now that much of the best racing at Reno was in the IF1 and Biplane ranks. Some amazing people too.

I'm always glad when these folks get some of the attention they deserve.

Neal
                      I think 1988 will always be looked at as the Zenith at Reno for pretty much all the classes. Speeds have gotten higher, but I'm not sure you ever had more competitive, full fields all the way around.

As I've said before, I'm glad I lived it.

Comment

My first year at Reno was 1987. Dad bought a T-6 and we went racing. Never got to be a fan and then work my way onto a race crew. Just saw life from the pits right from the get go. I am very thankful to have been there during the boom times. Simply some amazing people and machines!
                        PS - it all came flooding back a few years ago when I saw the original Vertical fin from Mr Awsome in a dessert boneyard. I could not have told you the color or the race number, but when I caught a glimpse of it, there was no doubt what it was. I texted a picture to my father as my own Wingman Quiz and he ID'd it with no hesitation.
                        PPS - it fits inside a Subaru Outback.

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                        I think 1988 will always be looked at as the Zenith at Reno for pretty much all the classes. Speeds have gotten higher, but I'm not sure you ever had more competitive, full fields all the way around.

As I've said before, I'm glad I lived it.

Comment

Hello Tom. Do you all still have Tinkertoy? That was always a great airplane -- I remember when it first turned up at Mojave in the '70s with Gary Meermans. How many T-6s does the family have these days?

Neal

Comment

Post a pic of the vertical fin from Mr. Awsome please.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                              Hello Tom. Do you all still have Tinkertoy? That was always a great airplane -- I remember when it first turned up at Mojave in the '70s with Gary Meermans. How many T-6s does the family have these days?

Neal
                              Last time I was down there they had Tinker Toy and Kitchen Pass.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                              X