Camping At The Reno Air Races: After Hours - Post Your Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping At The Reno Air Races: After Hours - Post Your Experience

I've been going to RENO for a lot of years, I've felt like I "roughted it" a few of those.. (let's share those experiences later in the thread LOL!!)

Lots of us have camped or just hung out late at RENO "After Hours" For sure, there are lots of "early hours" moments that we could share in this thread LOL.. post em up, if warrented, we'll start a morning thread!

I've got a few, but I only started being there late in the late n 90's! I've experinenced a few Warlock Parties, at least one very memorable "Smoke Oil Party"... Dispensed a LOT of Pacific NorthWest Fort George Beer that was generosly sent down with us a few years running.

Sooooo...

Let's start a new thread!!! It can be in your camp, or on the ramp.. (LOL)

I'm sure a lot of us are heartsick missing this year..

What'cha got!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Camping At The Reno Air Races: After Hours - Post Your Experience

I can remember going to Smoke Oil Parties, but I do not remember what went on during or afterwards....
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

I camped there from 1979 on, the first 2 years I just slept in my car overnight (sat and sun).
      Everything from tents to motorhomes.
      The evenings were a blast. We (or I) would always make our way into the pits after hours, the guards back then were accomodating after the races were over for the day, and get a lot of info on what was going on, watch the tug races, etc.. The evening flights were a big reason for being out there instead of in town. I particularly remember one evening, after a rain, the Super Corsair and Dreadnaught playing tag through the clouds. The sound!
      Wandering around the campground after flying stopped and we had cleaned up and eaten was a joy. Always got you a few beers offered and some great hanger flying.
      I started taking my son when he was 3 and he still asks me why we don't drag the trailer out there for the week! I am too used to creature comforts now to want to and can see most of what I want from the backyard, but miss the experience too.
      Mornings, Wayne, were another thing entirely...
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Yes I did it all from sleeping in the car doing the Tent & later the Motor home @ the Catholic Church. Of course many years of doing the Wed. All Goss "Warlock" parties including Mary Dilda "Two of Hearts" leading a 150 person Congo line. Those were fun times. I still have a "Strega" T-Shirt that has been signed by "Tiger" since 1985+ being signed 1 year by "Stevo". As I have said before" I've spent all my money on Beer & Reno Air Races & the rest of it I wasted"
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          I've been going to RENO for a lot of years, I've felt like I "roughted it" a few of those.. (let's share those experiences later in the thread LOL!!)

Lots of us have camped or just hung out late at RENO "After Hours" For sure, there are lots of "early hours" moments that we could share in this thread LOL.. post em up, if warrented, we'll start a morning thread!

I've got a few, but I only started being there late in the late n 90's! I've experinenced a few Warlock Parties, at least one very memorable "Smoke Oil Party"... Dispensed a LOT of Pacific NorthWest Fort George Beer that was generosly sent down with us a few years running.

Sooooo...

Let's start a new thread!!! It can be in your camp, or on the ramp.. (LOL)

I'm sure a lot of us are heartsick missing this year..

What'cha got!

That Was some delicious beer to be had !!! Good times !!!

Beany

Comment

Some one mention the name Mary Dilda.............what ever happened to her? What is she up to these days?

Comment

I started as a pylon judge in 2003. Judges have a campground to themselves just west of T-hangars. Started in a tent 1st year. Froze my butt off! But I also brought my 3000W Honda generator...so we could charge our phones! Yeah...I was THAT guy! Rookie...

As years passed graduated to renting Class A RV. As we were "All Access, Baby!", I must say its likely we may have some responsibility for the subsequent increased restrictions on the Pits...if you catch my drift. Good times were had by all.

Miss those times...
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Judges have a campground to themselves just west of T-hangars.

Ah yes. My Dad, Howard Merritt was a pylon judge on outer 3 from 1992 until he passed in 2014. Throughout the 2000’s I would fly up with my two children on Thursday night and we would spend the rest of race week camping at the Judges lot in the motorhome. Those wonderful passes allowed my kids to become huge air race fans. Always up in time to see the F1 and biplane heats. Walking from one end of the field to the other a couple times a day. Snapping those magic hour dawn and dusk pics was a 200 yard walk to the pits day and night. Waking up to the sound of fresh engines starting at dawn after an all-nighter by one of the crews. Running over to the results shack to see the latest heat results being posted. Deciding what my two, or three, or four annual race team t-shirts would be. Seeing those amazing air show skies filled with tumbling, looping low level aerobatics by the best pros in the business. The races were just magical. Being able to share the experience with three generations at once was a real gift. And even though it meant the week was over, I loved the "exodus" of all the aircraft leaving Stead on Sunday evening. It was a grand parade of many of the static displays, most of the show teams and lots of racers literally flying off into the sunset.
                '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

West end along fence (Redrock)

These 2 never had a complaint, better than a day in school.

The dirt was perfect

Comment

25+ years I’ve stayed in a family ski house in Truckee. At 6:30 am it’s an easy 40 minute drive. Usually pretty beat by the time we go back. It’s been good, but we sold the place.

Last year I rented a travel trailer from a guy in Reno and had it delivered to one of those dirt lots near the pits Wednesday afternoon. Comfy bed, adequate shower, thermostat. DVD player for watching Thunder over Reno. Make my own coffee before a 3 minute walk to the pit gate. 3 minute walk back to the trailer for a nap. Early morning airplane noise. Late evening airplane noise. Desert sunsets. Frosty mornings.

I’m doing the on site thing again next year.

Comment

Great take on things, everyone. I'm going to get sentimental here so bear with me...

Spoiled by camping next to TWY A every day from day one.

Waking up in the middle of the night headed for the head, stars out in full force, aroma of sage, lights from pits glow above the T hangars...quiet calm. Knowing full well all hell is gonna break lose in a matter of a few hours.

Waking up for good to an incredible sunrise, the aroma of sage now mixing with the sweet smell of AvGas and Jet A. Half awake, waving to the Dawn Patrol as it taxi's in front of me.

Starting many years ago I began playing "Time Stand Still" from the band "Rush" while driving from the PJ campground to Home Pylon. The timing of the song matched the drive time perfectly...and the lyrics are so poignant and meaningful.

To this day when I hear that song, I stop and reflect...on Reno, the event, but more than anything..it's the people and friends.

I turn my back to the wind
                      To catch my breath
                      Before I start off again
                      Driven on
                      Without a moment to spend
                      To pass an evening
                      With a drink and a friend

I let my skin get too thin
                      I'd like to pause,
                      No matter what I pretend
                      Like some pilgrim
                      Who learns to transcend
                      Learns to live
                      As if each step was the end

Time stand still
                      I'm not looking back
                      But I want to look around me now
                      Time stands still
                      See more of the people
                      And the places that surround me now
                      Time stands still

Freeze this moment
                      A little bit longer
                      Make each sensation
                      A little bit stronger
                      Experience slips away
                      Experience slips away
                      Time stands still

I turn my face to the sun
                      Close my eyes
                      Let my defenses down
                      All those wounds
                      That I can't get unwound

I let my past go too fast
                      No time to pause
                      If I could slow it all down
                      Like some captain
                      Whose ship runs aground
                      I can wait until the tide comes around
                      Time stand still

I'm not looking back
                      Time stands still
                      See more of the people
                      Freeze this moment
                      A little bit longer
                      Make each sensation
                      A little bit stronger
                      Make each impression
                      A little bit stronger
                      Freeze this motion
                      A little bit longer
                      The innocence slips away
                      The innocence slips away
                      Time stands still
                      Time stands still

I'm not looking back
                      See more of the people
                      Time stands still

Summer's going fast
                      Nights growing colder
                      Children growing up
                      Old friends growing older
                      Freeze this moment
                      A little bit longer
                      Make each sensation
                      A little bit stronger
                      Experience slips away
                      Experience slips away
                      The innocence slips away

Enjoy every moment, ladies and gentlemen...it does, as always, slip away...
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

Great Owen. You outdid yourself. Yes "Time Stand Stil" takes me all the way back to the 1946 Cleveland Air Races & a little Bell P39 Aircobra flown by Alvin "Tex" Johnson winning the Thompson Trophy race. Its been a long road with bumps included.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                          Great Owen. You outdid yourself. Yes "Time Stand Stil" takes me all the way back to the 1946 Cleveland Air Races & a little Bell P39 Aircobra flown by Alvin "Tex" Johnson winning the Thompson Trophy race. Its been a long road with bumps included.
                          Bob, Owen, we are SO VERY LUCKY to have people like you here in the forum! I mean, where else do you have someone who was at Cleveland, as well as someone who has such inside experience at the Reno event....
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            Bob, Owen, we are SO VERY LUCKY to have people like you here in the forum! I mean, where else do you have someone who was at Cleveland, as well as someone who has such inside experience at the Reno event....
                            Happy to be here, my friend. Thank YOU for keeping this sandbox up and running!
                            Owen Ashurst

Comment

Thanks to you Wayne for having this website. I'll give you a set of my 1949 B&W photos when I see you in 2021 Reno.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X