• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaps on F-1 racers ?

Arre flaps allowed in F-1 racers ?

Any kind of flaps ?

Re: Flaps on F-1 racers ?

I was thinking about something like this...Bill Falck was a finnish born air racer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	koivuvaappu2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	231482

Maybe the name has to be changed.

Comment

Mr. Creighton King (mr. Cassutt) told me the flying tail is not allowed in F1 racers...for a certain reason.

I wonder still how much more speed could be gained with a working t-tail with all flying elevator.

Anyone want to estimate it ?

Should it be investigated and implemented ?

Flaps are ok he told me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
        Mr. Creighton King (mr. Cassutt) told me the flying tail is not allowed in F1 racers...for a certain reason.

I wonder still how much more speed could be gained with a working t-tail with all flying elevator.

Anyone want to estimate it ?

Should it be investigated and implemented ?

Flaps are ok he told me.
        Flap are legal, but completely unnecessary. They just add weight, drag, and complexity. Plus they don't work all that well. A full flying tail isn't needed either. Nothing to gain from it, and lots of down side. Thus the "reason".

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
          Flap are legal, but completely unnecessary. They just add weight, drag, and complexity. Plus they don't work all that well. A full flying tail isn't needed either. Nothing to gain from it, and lots of down side. Thus the "reason".
          I see...in jets they ( stabilators ) can be much smaller than in GA planes.

I see no reason why a highly swept wing could't get benefit from all flying tail.

Can you enlighten why not ?

Oh sorry...you mean flaps...yes...they are legal....but all flying tail is apparently not ?

Why not ?
          Last edited by First time Juke; 11-10-2020, 04:14 AM.
          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X