Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ice Pilots: Lets Get Mikey McBryan to RENO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Pilots: Lets Get Mikey McBryan to RENO!

I'm guessing that most of us aviation junkies know about the Canadian TV series "Ice Pilots" following Buffalo Airways... Over the years, I've exchanged a few messages with Mikey McBryan, who is pretty much the guy behind the series...

Turns out, he has had the dream of coming to Reno for years and asked me what was the best way to have the RENO EXPERIENCE...

I'm actually pretty sure that RARA would give him access just because of the series... (not sure about that) I've invited him here, but he's not a message board guy..

Personally, I've watched just about every episode of Ice Pilots more than once!

I told Mikey, Best way to experience RENO: "bring a warbird" LOL!

Damn, I'd love to see a DC3 or C46 in current working form, wear and tear in place!!

I'd say, bring the C46 and C47 for static and they'd be in...

Ya think??

Assuming, of course, that our friends at RARA can manage to pull off RENO 2021!

Hoping Mikey reads this thread! I know you guys would welcome him with very open arms!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Ice Pilots: Lets Get Mikey McBryan to RENO!

Buffalo does have the D Day survivor C47 that they saved last year. I saw it at Oshkosh last year. That said, a C46 would be really cool as there aren't many of those still flying.

Either way it would be good exposure for Reno.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      Buffalo does have the D Day survivor C47 that they saved last year. I saw it at Oshkosh last year. That said, a C46 would be really cool as there aren't many of those still flying.

Either way it would be good exposure for Reno.

Will
      Mikey asked me the best way to get the RENO experience and my answer was "bring a warbird!"

I KNOW the Heritage guys would WELCOME them with open arms!! That's a start...

Personally, I would LOVE to see their C-46!

I'm sure some of the guys here who know the outside of the field really well would welcome him along for that experience...
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I’ve got a spot for him on the fence.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

The C-46's are working airplane, so probably hard to get one to break away for a week. Although the C-47 would be free to go, it probably would be cost prohibitive to bring without a sponsor.

I think he would have more fun being attached to a team in the pits than hanging around an airplane in the static area. One the Sea Fury teams seems appropriate since they are kind of a Canadian plane.
          Random Air Blog

Comment

Maybe we could get the CAF out of Camarillo, CA to bring their C46 "China Doll" & then we could have 2 of them.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
              Maybe we could get the CAF out of Camarillo, CA to bring their C46 "China Doll" & then we could have 2 of them.
              Has China Doll flown in recent years? I thought I had heard somewhere that it was grounded due to corrosion or something.

The last time I saw China Doll was at Edwards AFB, Oct 9, 1999 for the final flight of the SR-71.

Perhaps "Plane Savers" can save a T6 and bring it out or something.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                Has China Doll flown in recent years? I thought I had heard somewhere that it was grounded due to corrosion or something.

The last time I saw China Doll was at Edwards AFB, Oct 9, 1999 for the final flight of the SR-71.

Perhaps "Plane Savers" can save a T6 and bring it out or something.

Will
                I think it's corrosion and cost of flying it that's kept it grounded, but no it has not flown recently and there are no intentions of flying it anytime soon.
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thanks for the info on "China Doll". I remember when"Lefty" G delivered the F 8 F Bearcat to the CAF in Camarillo before extensive rebuild. It wasn't in very good shape.It seemed like it was still smoking a half hour after landing.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X