Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Completely Off Topic Air Quality: Maybe a Blessing!

Default Re: Completely Off Topic Air Quality: Maybe a Blessing!

Iím 25 miles east of LA and about 35 miles or less south of the Bobcat fire. The whole so cal is covered in smoke. With no gym I walk now I canít even do that . I checked our air tonight and itís 147, places closer to fires can be as high as 1000.

We had three days of really dense smoke and high east winds here on the North Oregon coast.. REALLY hot for here!

Smoke is forecast to start to clear Saturday night into Sunday, but it looks like Mother Nature is doing a good job of dumping most of the smoke under heavy mist/coastal fog.

A lot of the time here, when the air comes off the ocean, if you are under a light, you can actually see the moisture in the air. It is full of salt, rusts everything, even old joints, but, dang, at least so far today, it's done a great job of cleaning the air!

I have childhood asthma and, now, bummer, COPD.. I very much feel the last few days!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Looking North this morning.

Attachment 25078
    This morning 9/12 it is really bad.

Will wear a mask when I go to the garage to get a beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	672.6 KB 
ID:	25081

Down to less than quarter mile visibility here.

Same 1/4-mile visibility here yesterday, but a tad better so far this morning.

I still plan to go up to Stead next week, barring a worsening of conditions. Going to Stead this time of year is in my genetic code.

Some really bad numbers this morning around here. 400+ in some spots. Looks to be bad all week. Iím holding on to next weekends wind forecast of easterlies all weekend. I know some people will be out there along with some planes. Iíll be out there at some point.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Back on August 28th we headed north to Mt Hood and Timberline Lodge enroute to Reno and Lake Tahoe. At Timberline looking south toward Mt Jefferson it was smoky from a fire near Hagg Lake. In the afternoon we headed to Madras past Hagg Lake and encountered dense smoke on the highway. We spent the night in Madras and the next day headed to Crater Lake. This was a Saturday and we waited in a line of cars for a half an hour at the ticket booth going in. The sky at Crater Lake was clear at that time. We spent the night in Klamath falls and headed to Reno on Sunday. We took the Susanville route and it was socked in with smoke. As we headed east it cleared some and when we got to Reno it was socked in like I've never seen it before. We like a high up hotel room looking east and you couldn't see the foot hills to the east. On Tuesday we went up to South Lake Tahoe and it was somewhat clear, but we talked to another couple and they said the day before you couldn't see the east shore line from the west side. On Thursday we headed back to the Willamette Valley in Oregon for a slight reprieve and on the next Monday on Labor Day it kicked into high gear. Most days one couldn't see the tree line more then a half a block away. The Sun was nowhere to be seen. Last Friday/Saturday you could see the Sun, it looked like a red half Dollar in the sky. Today there has been some clearing, but not much. The damage that these fires have caused is incomprehensible. In my mind it is very suspect Climate Change is the reason. Our State Marshal in Oregon Resigned. If one reads between the lines most fires have been arson caused and that message is being censored.

The arson question has been on my mind. Yes, the fires have grown extremely fast but, the extreme speed is more an effect of poorly managed forests. Way too much fuel in there for it not to become ticking time . What sucks is the man made sparks that start these fires. Arson is a big part of that number. This is where Iíd like to see some eye for an eye justice. Intentionally start a fire and thatís exactly how your going to die, by fire. No death by smoke inhalation allowed. You will burn and it will hurt and we will make it known to all would be arsonists that this is now the penalty.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    The arson question has been on my mind. Yes, the fires have grown extremely fast but, the extreme speed is more an effect of poorly managed forests. Way too much fuel in there for it not to become ticking time . What sucks is the man made sparks that start these fires. Arson is a big part of that number. This is where Iíd like to see some eye for an eye justice. Intentionally start a fire and thatís exactly how your going to die, by fire. No death by smoke inhalation allowed. You will burn and it will hurt and we will make it known to all would be arsonists that this is now the penalty.
    No kidding, just look at the 4 they arrested for starting fires in Washington, Oregon and California last week.

They do not look like they contribute anything to society rather just sponge off the hardworking tax payers.

I was supposed to go take care of some personal business in Carson City about 3 weeks ago and I've been waiting for some clear days, but that doesn't seem to be happening soon.

And I really need to go...
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers