Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely Off Topic Air Quality: Maybe a Blessing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely Off Topic Air Quality: Maybe a Blessing!

I wonder if we'd actually have been able to make the week happen due to the smoke! The early shut down may just have saved a HUGE expense by RARA! Imagine if it was the last day before arrivals ant the air quality caused a shut down!

I'm in Warrenton, Oregon, just South of Astoria and North of Seaside, earlier today, we had a blessed wind shift that brought pretty clean marine layer onshore, skied were gray and cool! We went through a period of YELLOW sky (smoke) we're looking now like the marine push might take back over. It is still a smoky air mass but getting somewhat scoured of the smoke debris due to fog/mist

Hopefull!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Completely Off Topic Air Quality: Maybe a Blessing!

So the purpose of my message was to ask:

How is your air quality as of now!

Mine is one and off pretty crappy!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

We’ve been blessed by 3 days of east winds but they’re fading. It’s been really bad for a long time around here. Like a month. At the moment we’re teetering on the edge of a thick wall of smoke. All it takes is a 10+ out of the west and it gets ugly quick. Can easily get to 150 AQI with visibility down to 1mi. As we all know, the wind never blows out of the west at 10+ in September in Reno.

Race week doesn’t look like it’ll be too nice. 10-15 west just about every afternoon. You’re right Wayne. Could be a blessing in disguise. At the moment Sunday might be ok. This far out though, the forecast tend to push 24-36hrs at least. Sure would love some nor’easters.
      Last edited by Fence Sence; 09-11-2020, 12:47 AM.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

We are clearing in Vegas after several Smokey days but my Dad hasn’t seen the Sun in 6 days. He is in Woodburn,OR. The Riverside Fire is threatening his area now.

Beany
        Last edited by beachboss; 09-11-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

As of this morning schools were closed again due to unhealthy air. I can't even see my back fence (about 100') clearly and all the hills surrounding are simply, gone. It's been like this for weeks, ever since the fires here started. They are out but all of this is from Cali./Oregon. Unless we get a wind from the northeast we get smoked out. Right now it is the worst I have ever seen at this time and my guess is nothing would be able to fly in this.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I was thinking about asking this question all week.......thanks for the info..

ed;
            We have not seen the sun here for 20+ days - right now the skies are orange, like being on Mars.
            In the early days of the CZU fires visibility was like being fogged in, except that it was smoke and ash.
            The air just felt dirty.
            Last edited by Lon Moer; 09-11-2020, 11:48 AM.
            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Looking North this morning.

Comment

It's even thicker in Cold Springs.
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Damn Dawg, you are in the bulls eye right now. Y’all alright out there?
                  Attached Files
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I went into Astoria from the south day before yesterday and I could not see the Megler bridge from the highway 101 causeway/bridge across Young's Bay... it's only about a mile, or less!

We have been blessed for the last 24 hours, the airflow has shifted to onshore, it would seem that the natural flow of things has cleaned the air quite a bit. What marine flow we can see against the trees shows a LOT of moisture content (mist) the air smells a bit of smoke but a lot of ocean!!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I’m 25 miles east of LA and about 35 miles or less south of the Bobcat fire. The whole so cal is covered in smoke. With no gym I walk now I can’t even do that . I checked our air tonight and it’s 147, places closer to fires can be as high as 1000.

Comment

We had three days of really dense smoke and high east winds here on the North Oregon coast.. REALLY hot for here!

Smoke is forecast to start to clear Saturday night into Sunday, but it looks like Mother Nature is doing a good job of dumping most of the smoke under heavy mist/coastal fog.

A lot of the time here, when the air comes off the ocean, if you are under a light, you can actually see the moisture in the air. It is full of salt, rusts everything, even old joints, but, dang, at least so far today, it's done a great job of cleaning the air!

I have childhood asthma and, now, bummer, COPD.. I very much feel the last few days!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                          Looking North this morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25078[/ATTACH]
                          This morning 9/12 it is really bad.

Will wear a mask when I go to the garage to get a beer.

Comment

Down to less than quarter mile visibility here.
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Same 1/4-mile visibility here yesterday, but a tad better so far this morning.

I still plan to go up to Stead next week, barring a worsening of conditions. Going to Stead this time of year is in my genetic code.

Comment

Working...
                              X