Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely Off Topic Air Quality: Maybe a Blessing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Completely Off Topic Air Quality: Maybe a Blessing!

This is purely hypothetical but my guess is that quals on the Unlimited track would have been a No Go so far this week due to visibility. It's been gnarly all week. Can't see Peavine when standing on Peavine
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

In the age of Wuhan, BLM, and Antifa the day to day life in America IS political. No getting around it.

And in case it escaped notice, the a**holes fueling the insurection are those looting, rioting, and assulting LE officers and those on the left who, by their deeds and silence, support those who seek to alter the course of this nation.

Need only look at the "Harris Administration" (LMAO!) who choose to speak out in support and pay personal respects to those of the thugs shot by LE and yet...remain silent and pay no respect whatsoever to LE officers and other who are victims of those same thugs.

And that's all I have to say about that...
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Something was said earlier about the fuel on the ground in the woods contributing to the fires and I agree. In addition, in Oregon we have the State Fair the last week of August. Almost every year going back to the 60's when I arrived on the scene we have had rain one or two days. This year nothing! We had east winds. Where did that come from? Me thinks there is some weather manipulation going on and it's not Climate Change.

Comment

Originally posted by JMS View Post
          Something was said earlier about the fuel on the ground in the woods contributing to the fires and I agree. In addition, in Oregon we have the State Fair the last week of August. Almost every year going back to the 60's when I arrived on the scene we have had rain one or two days. This year nothing! We had east winds. Where did that come from? Me thinks there is some weather manipulation going on and it's not Climate Change.
          Just returned from a week plus road trip thru CA, NV, AZ adn UT. It was astounding to me to see the remenants of forest fires and disease from past years left standing and/or lying on the ground. It's beyond me why NFS, BLM (Bureau of Land Management...not the domestic terrorists) and those responsible for our forests cannot seem to manage their way out of a paper bag.

Forest floors littered with thousands of fallen trees, dead (from insect infestation, etc.) and burned trees standing like matches, waiting to be lit ablaze. It's beyond unacceptable that in the span of a month or so the western states can lose close to 5MM acres and suffer over 35 deaths. It's criminal.

Climate change is an issue, to be sure. The degree to which that change is driven by or made worse by humans is an outstanding question. That said, there is no question poor forest management and practices fuels larger and larger fires and there is not excuse for it. None.
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Ditto Air Boss!
            I agree with Boomtown, we have been unhealthy enough here this last week that they have kept the just-opened-schools closed due to it. I don't think you could see Stead if you flew directly over it.
            It's definitely been a rough year fire-wise. I have had several friends lose everything, many in areas that were considered fairly safe. We've been under evacuation warning twice this year.
            One of my coworkers just bought a new (to him) Cessna and has offered to go flying with me. So far he has not even been able to take delivery because he cannot fly it home!
            As the late Mac MaClaine once said, "Next year".
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
              Just returned from a week plus road trip thru CA, NV, AZ adn UT. It was astounding to me to see the remenants of forest fires and disease from past years left standing and/or lying on the ground. It's beyond me why NFS, BLM (Bureau of Land Management...not the domestic terrorists) and those responsible for our forests cannot seem to manage their way out of a paper bag.

Forest floors littered with thousands of fallen trees, dead (from insect infestation, etc.) and burned trees standing like matches, waiting to be lit ablaze. It's beyond unacceptable that in the span of a month or so the western states can lose close to 5MM acres and suffer over 35 deaths. It's criminal.

Climate change is an issue, to be sure. The degree to which that change is driven by or made worse by humans is an outstanding question. That said, there is no question poor forest management and practices fuels larger and larger fires and there is not excuse for it. None.

In kalifornia the politicians would rather spend billions and billions of tax dollars on rojects that provide their family with kickbacks, or their families businesses with lucrative contracts. Only to have the projects fall apart and become shelved. This has happened many many times in Kali. There is not enough money to be siphoned off of forest management projects. Add onto that the Looney Lefties and their pie in the sky beliefs that forestry is bad. Cutting of any trees is bad. Mother nature can do a better job they think. Then to protect the forests these same lunatics aggressively combat ALL fires. Naturally started or otherwise. The programs of prescribed burns are small and infrequent.
              The native peoples who lived in the same areas before the Spanish and american settlers came would regularly start fires to remove the undergroth and dead trees. To them it was a way to provide more food for the game they hunted, but mixed with natural fires it was a wonderful control for kalifornias dry hot summer climate. No fuel built up.

Does global climate change have an impact? Maybe. The normal drought and wet winter cycles make the biggest contribution.

Comment

It kinda looks like Mother Nature is taking care of itself, unfortunately for those in the path. MOST of the fires there were lightning caused. The ones near me were, we even saw the strike that caused the one near Bordertown.
                I am in land development, and as we push further into the open spaces here, it is a little unsettling to see very little attention paid to building safe zones around development. Mainly because the attempt has been to minimize the wildland impact.
                Example: we were rebuilding a street near a local college. Design speeds gave us a certain radius for the roadway. Because of a buckeye plant (not native, it was planted years ago) and a butterfly species that lived only in it, we had to tighten that curve to save the plant. So far there have been two accidents there due to a short sight distance and people going too fast. Both have caused lawsuits that we are stiil in.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Lake Tahoe yesterday...

Actual blue skies this morning! I anticipate the smoke rolling back in though.
                  Attached Files
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                  X