Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking to Facebook?

I am on record and will restate that I absolutely HATE facebook 1000%

That said, I've discovered that the software for the MB allows levels of connectivity with my eternal nemesis....

Let's remove my personal prejudice and ask the question..

This forum is about you guys, do you like FB enough to warrant me to enable the connections built into the Vbulletin software?

Again, I hate FB, I think the Zuckman is a crook, I have no idea what they do with data from an affiliated website, such as if we did the backdoor connection that's available..

Gonna take a lot to convince me!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Linking to Facebook?

I don't have ANY social media so I don't see a need for it. However, I know a lot of teams out there ONLY post their progress or updates through social media so I wouldn't mind clicking on links to see what's going on...
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Wayne,

I am on and use FB. I consider about 10% of the content that I see there to be of good quality and what one might call "life-enhancing" while the other 90% is somewhere on the scale from inert to absolute crap (skewing more towards the latter every day.) The 10% has always been enough to keep me on the platform but I readily admit I am finding it less compelling of late.

I may be in the minority but I say keep it turned off. For those of us who do have/use FB, we can discuss enough here that we can find things on our own without it having to actually be embedded here and forcing those who have no desire to deal with FB to have it in their face. As a caveat, I will say that most air racing content falls squarely in the 10% that is good. However, I still say no direct connections.

For what it is worth, even when topics here have become challenging, I believe it makes all the difference that we each have to use our own voice and type out our thoughts. FB makes it way too easy to share someone else's words (whether true or not) and in doing so, make them your own. I swear the FB platform would be exponentially better by simply eliminating the "Share" button.

James

Comment

My time on FB is strictly regulated to warbirds, air racing, model building and I don't care if they want to track my screen name in those subjects.
        I refuse to enter into any part of politics, social media, news or current events, so there is nothing to track there.

But FB recently changed their format and its become frustratingly terrible to use and gives them more control over forcing their content onto your screen.
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

I deleted my FB account about two months ago. I originally signed up to get updates on air racing teams, and it just morphed over the years into something that had no positive influence in my life. Good riddance.
          If there's a poll, then I will vote firmly in the "no" column.

Comment

Being a millennial this would seem like something I would be on board with, but I don't see it serving any purpose here. I also really only use it for aviation groups. Most of the important things are either posted to some sort of website whether that be airrace.org or maybe a specific race team website and can easily be posted here. I can't say there has been anything worth posting here besides the Tsunami updates that Will updates the thread with, and some sport racer updates/news. If anything very important comes up I try to make a thread about it here to keep everyone in the loop (if someone hasn't beaten me to it). Maybe there will be more as 2021's races comes closer, but for now I don't see any need for Facebook to be hooked up.

The Sport news for those that don't know; the ex-Dan Wright NXT (N777XT) has been repainted, but not officially unveiled yet (possibly racing in '21 with new owner), Tom McNerney is edging closer and closer to the first engine run in his incredible Super Legacy, Sean Van Hatten purchased Mojo from Bob Mills and will be picking up where he left off after Race 3's demise last year, Karl Grove is working on the new engine setup (AC Aero Centurion X-660), crazy engine that will definitely need this year off to fine tune for '21, I mentioned in another thread that Brett Schuck will be racing N726DW Super Legacy for Diana Stanger taking the reigns from Vicky, and lastly would be there's another Super Glasair being built to similar standards as Jeff's (caught wind of this in a Glasair builder group on FB). Assuming that it's a racer, it could be ready for next year from the looks of it.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I don’t bother with FB. It’s to be mostly a chit show for sociopaths. I get my air race news here. I don’t need FB here.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Linking to FB could be beneficial in that people who don't know about the site might learn about it. Outside of that, its not really worth the effort. Those of us who are on FB post info over here pretty quickly after we hear about it. Could the forum use more members? Sure, do we necessarily want the FB riff raff in here? Not so much.

Will

Comment

I agree one thousand percent against linking to facebook2

Believe it or not, aafo.com has been around for many years prior to FB!

Anyway! I need to save and move on to see where this connection goes!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Please do not link to FB! Way too many issues including cybersecurity. This site is just fine as is.

Comment

No link to FB required.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        I am on record and will restate that I absolutely HATE facebook 1000%

That said, I've discovered that the software for the MB allows levels of connectivity with my eternal nemesis....

Let's remove my personal prejudice and ask the question..

This forum is about you guys, do you like FB enough to warrant me to enable the connections built into the Vbulletin software?

Again, I hate FB, I think the Zuckman is a crook, I have no idea what they do with data from an affiliated website, such as if we did the backdoor connection that's available..

Gonna take a lot to convince me!
                        Wayne,
                        I don't post here much anymore, but I do lurk through quite a bit. My opinion is no to Facebook, I have been involved with a couple of groups that have turned towards a Facebook connection, then I get inundated with questions from friends that say "Hey man join us on the new Facebook platform.... it's better." Well more and more of my friends are now coming back and saying they wished they wouldn't have gone down the rabbit hole that is Facebook.

Run away! Run away! Facebook is the cancer.
                        John
                        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                          Wayne,
                          I don't post here much anymore, but I do lurk through quite a bit. My opinion is no to Facebook, I have been involved with a couple of groups that have turned towards a Facebook connection, then I get inundated with questions from friends that say "Hey man join us on the new Facebook platform.... it's better." Well more and more of my friends are now coming back and saying they wished they wouldn't have gone down the rabbit hole that is Facebook.

Run away! Run away! Facebook is the cancer.
                          John
                          Facebook and Twitter are equally responsible for an enormous amount of wasted time these days. I never started using them and I feel sorry for people that regard their smartphone with more regard than their pets these days. It's sad and dangerous, people just have to use their phones while they're driving, if anyone here is doing that stop it. That text message isn't worth the accident you WILL eventually cause by being distracted, the negative possible outcomes can be life altering and none of them are positive. My vote is no to Facebook.
                          Last edited by knot4u; 09-09-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Funny, boomtown on here is my best friend. He doesn’t come around here anymore, he’s all FB now. I feel like we’ve started drifting apart ever since.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMRuSNFlLY
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                              X