Russia Russia Russia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia Russia Russia!

Wow... I opened up membships last night and within 2 minutes, we were flooded with over 100 fake membership applicaions came in... most from RUSSIA!

I am trying to block the entire country IP ranges so we might have a little peace here! Every minute of every day, the server firewall is barraged with 1000's of fake login attempts to fake usernames... I believe they just do it to F**K with us!

I'm not going to give up, I've gotten my energy back to work the web again!

I've made a bunch of directives for the firewall If you happen to see anything unusual on the site, let me know!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Russia Russia Russia!

Hummn..... Seems..... to be working (knock on wood!)

Two hours or so now and no new bogus RUSSIA applications!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hi Wayne,

Thanks so much for your efforts at keeping this site running. I don't post much, but reading this forum is a bright spot for me each day. It's an amazing - and very unique - resource for information about air racing.

Regarding the floods of fake logon attempts, etc., I strongly suspect that it's not personal and nobody is targeting you directly. It's likely that everything is completely automated and hitting every site that the automation can find. Dealing with stuff like this is a nuisance that just goes along with running a site like this.

For what it's worth, IP blocking is probably the right strategy at this point. I'm not sure how your hosting works, but it's also possible that your hosting provider has tools to help with this.

Thanks again, and please know that your efforts are very much appreciated.

-Wade

Comment

Oh I totally agree that it's automated bots doing it all. The interesting thing is the very significant amount of it that comes from the RU (russia) IP address block... once blocked, the assault simply stopped, dead in its tracks!

I have not had one bogus membership application since I implemented the entire russian nation and a few of its protégés blocked from the server.

I believe what they are doing is to get as many message board memberships and facebook persona's and then flood the net with russian propaganda...

I am just loving the peace and quiet and lower (way lower) server load numbers! That, and being able to accept new, legit membership applications is what makes this site happen! We have SO many really neat people, many of whom just lurk but chime in when they have something relevant to contribute.., there are some pretty cool "players" on here as well.. having to close the board to new members really was a huge limitation to the lifetime of this board! Without new members, the site would eventually become irrelevant..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
        X