Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 Reno Air Races

Originally posted by krts View Post
    It may be time for RARA to "self preserve" by dumping the US Internal Revenue Code 501(c) (3) status and start keeping the money they make in their own pocket instead of giving it away to charities and foundations.It may be better to pay the taxes on the money they make on the event. Only RARA knows because they won't open up the books for anyone to see where the money is going and to compare,taxes v code 501. On another note,is a donation to RARA by the fans tax deductable?
    It's been a while since RARA was in the black year over year so the concept of "keeping the money" is moot. Much of that can be blamed on sky-rocketing insurance premiums. Wasn't pretty prior to 2011...it has been exponentially worse since.

Can you clarify your point re: "giving it away to charities and foundations?"

I can't speak with any degree of certainty on the financial issues (above my paygrade) but I'd suspect the 501(c)3 status pays dividends in that, as to your question, yes, in general donations to 501(c)3 entities are tax deductable. Folks would be much more inclined to donate if they can write it off.

As for keeping the books, it doesn't make sense to assert that RARA would purposefully falsify their books and in the process feign poverty...year after year after year. Not a logical scenario as it would have certainly backfired on them by now.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I'll have to see if I can dig it up again, but I've seen a breakdown of RARA's expenses (which I understand is publicly available with the 501 c 3)

found it

- Income
      - $3mil Ticket Sales
      - $1mil Sponsorship
      - $8k program sales
      - Expenses
      - $600k insurance
      - $345k advertising
      - $260k broadcast coverage
      - RARA pays to be on NBC sports
      - $200k rent to Reno Tahoe Airport Authority
      - $200k porta-potties
      - Operating loss of $400k in 2017

Last edited by CubersWrist; 11-25-2020, 01:59 PM.
      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

They make a substantial amount off of all the booths there also. Both booth space charge and a percentage of the gross, last time I looked into it.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

As a 30-year attendee, I'm in the "more racing less airshow" camp personally, but I agree with others that this is likely not the right mix to attract new and/or casual fans. The two racing classes that I would miss the least if they went away are Jets and T-6 (probably also an unpopular opinion). If the Unlimited class AND the Sport class went away I would probably stop attending. If there were no Unlimited but there was robust Sport class racing as has been true for quite a while now, I would still attend. I think the STOL racing was a great addition.

Thinking about this through the lens of what my grandson would enjoy, or my son-in-law (not a huge aviation nut), the unique military fly-bys and static displays would be a big draw. The demonstration teams that do a surprise low pass from behind the grandstands are always fun. For me, if there is some racing (that includes at least some Sport class), and my family is having fun, I would still happily attend.

Access to the middle of the course is something that I would definitely pay extra for.

As for fly-bys, could we add Boom to this list and get them to do a fly-by in their XB-1 next year? How about a V-22?

As for electric planes, would an endurance race that ends at Reno, with a bit of pylon racing thrown in, help attract participants? (Endurance is an issue they need to solve anyway, right?)

This thread is tough to think about. Both great flying collections near me (Paul Allen's and John Sessions') have closed or moved away in the past year. To think of smaller or significantly different Reno is hard, but it seems necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Coug86 View Post
            Access to the middle of the course is something that I would definitely pay extra for.
            Hummn.... interesting thought! It could be argued that being inside the course might just be safer than the outside...

I'd wager that there are a fair amount of folks who would pay upwards of, or in excess of $100. per day to go out there...

Home Pylon Bleacher Seats.....

What an experience that would be, I've been out on the sticks many times, NEVER to home pylon... I'd for sure buck up for that chance!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yeah - I'm not rolling in cash, but $100 per person per day to sit on the inside of the course would be a no-brainer!

Comment

Honest and thoughtful feedback...exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks much.

Having spent many years on several different pylons I can honestly say I'd MUCH prefer having paying guests in a secure and confined location (such as a small grandstand or a "pen") on the inside of the course than trying to herd bus-loads of Media folks! There would be a few hurdles to jump through (Logistics, Transportation, FAA, etc). The issue with having folks "at the pylon" is that we limit the total head count at each pylon, per the FAA. So, it would likely fall to the RARA Media or North Ops to keep tabs on those folks at a location away from pylon operations. Know this has been brought up in the past...might be time to raise that flag again.

Rest assured I am thinking outside the box on all sorts of options, for 2021 and beyond. I am not a decision maker in that regard but can say the Board has been very receptive to input.

Which is one reason I continually ping this group for input. The insight and viewpoints offered here are unique and appreciated.

Keep 'em coming!
                Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  Hummn.... interesting thought! It could be argued that being inside the course might just be safer than the outside...

I'd wager that there are a fair amount of folks who would pay upwards of, or in excess of $100. per day to go out there...

Home Pylon Bleacher Seats.....

What an experience that would be, I've been out on the sticks many times, NEVER to home pylon... I'd for sure buck up for that chance!
                  Cannot believe you've never been to Home, Wayne. Granted, it's not photography friendly (except for early AM when the sun shines on the faces of pilots). But, it is the epicenter of all things starting, judging, flagging, etc.

Hope you can make it out there next year!
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

One more thought comes to mind. And I don't have an axe to grind, I'm not mad about anything. When I think about donating to a charity (i.e a 501c3), I like to know that they are spending that money wisely, not wasting a lot of it on fancy overhead. This kind of accountability and transparency has become much more important to donors in the past 10 years or so. In a similar way, I wonder if the air race org could take steps this direction. I am not accusing them of anything or inferring that they aren't good financial managers. Just observing that openness builds trust, and may help encourage donations.

Comment

Working...
                    X