Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Reno Air Races

Default Re: 2020 Reno Air Races

Quote Originally Posted by rmcintire View Post
    Hi all! My husband and I will be at stead this morning. If you’re there and see a bright orange Nissan Rogue, come say hi!

This would have been my husband’s 45th air races. There are few things in this life that he loves more than air racing. We made the 200+ mile journey to Reno because we couldn’t not be here, even if the racers weren’t.

We were sad that the Sanders aircraft took off before we got here yesterday! We hat was so cool that they showed up though!

Thanks for having such an awesome site where like-minded people can come and share their love if this sport!
    Had I not just bought a new house and then wrecked my right knee, I too was planning on a short trip down to be there. I've only missed one race since 1997 and that was totally out of my control as I had to be in Portland to receive my daily dose of radiation... yech!!!!!!!!!!!

You YOU the fans are what keep this sport going.. I'm not sure exactly how or it happens but this sport truly does get into your blood!

Thank you for sharing!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

We are here, manning our usual spot on Lemmon Drive next to the transformer station.

https://reno-air-racing-association-...save-the-races
    Seems covid messed up RARA's finances than we had initially realized...

$101,514 of $500,000 when I donated.
    The simple math is that if everyone who liked RARA's fb page (53,828) gave $10 they would reach their goal.
    "young" Thomas

Up to $121,554

New article in Forbes
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericteg...h=41c9608279c8
    "young" Thomas

.5 Million... wow.. that's a lot more than we're going to generate here LOL!!

.5 Million to someone who wants to promote something really cool and use the Air Races as their THEIR signature event... chump change!!

Elon... here's your chance!!!!!!!

The TESLA RENO INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AIR RACES.....

I could dig it!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

That's only a fraction of the tax break he was given to build here (not that I am complaining, lots of jobs and new housing) would be sweet if his interests focused this way.

Focusing on how much money someone (like Elon Musk) has or how much his tax returns are is not a productive way to think of this problem. If you want to talk about marketing races to Tesla that's a different story, but that probably require everyone to be excited about electric aircraft....

Besides you don't want the races to be hanging on the whims of a single guy. That's what the unlimiteds have been doing and it's not treating the class or the races well.

Looking at the Ford/Ferrari rivalry with the 24 of Le Mans and it's clear it started as a marketing push that then turned into a personal vendetta. But then Ford quit coming to the races after they had won and after it was decided the marketing value wasn't worth the investment. And yet Lemans is still be held all these years later. The races are built on sponsors and marketing and to do that successfully someone needs to be selling something of value (ie Ford and Ferrari are selling cars and Le Man is selling the event).

But the sobering thing is that this donation drive is none of those things.
    Last edited by CubersWrist; 11-20-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    "young" Thomas

I was thinking Tesla, not Musk personally, although his interest would be a driver for them to use it as a marketing tool. There are so many companies out there that spend millions on advertising that the races would be a small expenditure in the big picture. The more the merrier, as long as the announcer does not need to say "And your Tesla, Red Bull, Chevy, Coca-Cola, Penzoil, VP Racing fuels unlimited are on the course".

However it happens, I'm afraid without a HUGE influx of interest (read that, CASH) by some large bux faction, the races as we know them are over..

When we started all of this, how much did the airplanes the early racers used coxt?

What are those same planes worth today... even as non flying parts bins for the rest of the warbird world?

Face it, the guys who race at RENO do NOT do it for money and they never have. They do it because they can... and that word, CAN is the all important one here...

Because they can...

Make that airplane they want to race in raise in value to over a million and now you're in trouble.

INSURANCE my ex wife made a living deciding if you and I got our $$ back when we filed a claim... She was in risk management at one point in her career... She could never understand how RENO managed to insure that event... I'm pretty sure today, especially after our saddest event, most insurance companies would charge an arm, and TWO legs to insure that event!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Anyone have Elon's cell number???
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    However it happens, I'm afraid without a HUGE influx of interest (read that, CASH) by some large bux faction, the races as we know them are over..

When we started all of this, how much did the airplanes the early racers used coxt?

What are those same planes worth today... even as non flying parts bins for the rest of the warbird world?

Face it, the guys who race at RENO do NOT do it for money and they never have. They do it because they can... and that word, CAN is the all important one here...

Because they can...

Make that airplane they want to race in raise in value to over a million and now you're in trouble.

INSURANCE my ex wife made a living deciding if you and I got our $$ back when we filed a claim... She was in risk management at one point in her career... She could never understand how RENO managed to insure that event... I'm pretty sure today, especially after our saddest event, most insurance companies would charge an arm, and TWO legs to insure that event!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Anyone have Elon's cell number???
    I remain optimistic...however...it seems fairly clear this event cannot and will not enjoy a successful future unless and until it embraces the central theme of Mr. Charles Darwin's Theory of Biological Evolution Through Natural Selection. "It is not the strongest of species that survives, nor is it the most intelligent of species that survives. It is the species that best adapts to change that survives."

Any realistic assessment of the situation would drive a reasonable person to determine change is necessary to ensure the survival of this event. That may be a tough sell to those who remember fondly the "good ol' days"...but that's the point. Those were the "ol'" days.

How do you see Reno changing to ensure it survives in some semblence of the unique event that has been built over the past half-century plus?

Would you continue to attend if _______________ ?

Go ahead...fill in the blank.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/