Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 455

Thread: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

  1. #431

    Default Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    With regards to hair products, look at Gil's hat, it was probably new when we got there that week.
    As I said, a dirty Bear is a fast Bear. At that time, Bear was both dirty and fast. In more recent years, Bear has been clean, and not as fast. Whatever Mel Gregor and company were doing back then was clearly not being done by their successors. Sure the plane is clean, but its not as fast. There must be a correlation there somewhere

    Will

  2. #432
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Whanganui, NZ
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

    I was going to suggest at least it was cheaper than store-bought product, but you'd pay for it in toil and sweat instead!

  3. #433

    Default Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    As I said, a dirty Bear is a fast Bear. At that time, Bear was both dirty and fast. In more recent years, Bear has been clean, and not as fast. Whatever Mel Gregor and company were doing back then was clearly not being done by their successors. Sure the plane is clean, but its not as fast. There must be a correlation there somewhere

    Will
    With all due respect his name was Mel Gregoire. Another friend that I miss. If you were a man in your thirties and you invited an old friend over for BBQ and he stole not only your wifes heart but your dogs heart as well and he just smiled at you and you knew it was okay then maybe you knew someone like Mel. We actually did build a very clean engine once, but it was down on power, but not from anything we'd done. We blew it up. I'm not sure if I should say any more about that, it might be another one of those topics BCIV is in a better position to speak about.
    Last edited by knot4u; 12-12-2021 at 01:05 AM.

  4. #434
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

    I knew I saw the 3 blade prop on a hangar wall. It took me a while to find it. I took it on Thursday 9-14-2006.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0281.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	26402

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	26401
    Last edited by Plane Nuts; 12-13-2021 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

  5. #435

    Default Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Plane Nuts View Post
    I knew I saw the 3 blade prop on a hangar wall. It took me a while to find it. I took it on Thursday 9-14-2006.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0281.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	26402

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	26401
    That's a nice picture of Bill Hickle. I was always envious, but not jealous, of his perfectly trimmed beard. Lots of 6' ladders too.

  6. #436

    Default Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

    Notice that this was the time of the modified wing intakes. A mod that didn't work ?

  7. #437

    Default Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by MRE View Post
    Notice that this was the time of the modified wing intakes. A mod that didn't work ?
    Boil-off was always a Dave deal, and on paper it makes sense. I liked Dave, I worked with Dave away from air racing, I went to Dave and Bonnies house a few times and met the ridgebacks. Dave was very smart and wanted to change the world quickly. Greg Shaw was very smart and wanted to change the world one piece at a time. You can't change three things at the same time and assume any improvement you got was because of one of the three. One thing at a time and measure the improvement. I miss Dave and I miss Greg, I learned a lot from both.

  8. #438
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    256

    Default Second large 3-blade prop

    Regarding a huge 3-blade prop that may or may not have been at the Sander's hangar, but was actually pictured at Ezell's. I know it has been discussed that "there was only one", but there *was* another 3-blade prop, at least in development... though it used square-tipped blades from a Lockheed L-188 instead of P-3 Orion blades. And indeed... at one point, it could be found at or around the Sander's facility. This was the prop that was planned to be used on "American Spirit", which was acquired by Mike Brown along with the first engine ultimately used on September Fury.

    I have seen photos of this prop while it was at the Sander's shop. It's likely they had some idea to use it on the Sea Fury, though it was never implemented. Here it is attached to American Spirit:


  9. #439

    Default Re: Second large 3-blade prop

    Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    Regarding a huge 3-blade prop that may or may not have been at the Sander's hangar, but was actually pictured at Ezell's. I know it has been discussed that "there was only one", but there *was* another 3-blade prop, at least in development... though it used square-tipped blades from a Lockheed L-188 instead of P-3 Orion blades. And indeed... at one point, it could be found at or around the Sander's facility. This was the prop that was planned to be used on "American Spirit", which was acquired by Mike Brown along with the first engine ultimately used on September Fury.

    I have seen photos of this prop while it was at the Sander's shop. It's likely they had some idea to use it on the Sea Fury, though it was never implemented. Here it is attached to American Spirit:

    That's an early P-3 Aeroproducts propeller in Daves back yard barn in the San Fernando Valley, I've been there and I've laid hands on that airplane. When the early C-130's and P-3's were introduced they had three blade props and controls from Aeroproducts. It didn't work well, the props and controls were great, getting four of them working together caused a harmonic resonance that fatigued the wing spars and started causing accidents when the wing spar would fail. So Hamilton Standard came in and developed a four blade prop with a synchrophaser and it seemed to work pretty good because there's still plenty flying all over the world. The blades on the Bearcat three blade were Hamilton Standard P-3, the hub is a Hamilton Standard Constellation deal. The prop in that picture is an Aeroproducts and there's nothing wrong with it, the only reason those props were not used was because you couldn't use them safely in a group of four, a single engine airplane wouldn't suffer those issues and would take advantage of all of the engineering that eventually got them built to power the C-130 and P-3. I've always wondered if Dave chose that prop to snub his nose at the Bearcat with the Hamilton Standard three blade he helped engineer. Oddly enough most of my conversations with Dave were in the "test bench room" at Cal-Prop who would still use him as a contractor to build some test benches or adapters.

  10. #440

    Default Re: Second large 3-blade prop

    Just for kicks you might want to know the governor for the bearcat three blade was just a bit smaller and a lot heavier than a football. The regulator for the Aeroproducts prop was more of a two handed or two person sort of thing. The original Bearcat regulator was like Chicago pizza, it was kind of heavy but you could pick it up with one hand.
    Last edited by knot4u; 12-15-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •