Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

I hate to say it but without the really fast racers attending it's going to be hard to bring in new fans. Airplanes like the Bear and Strega need to be there to stand out from the crowd of "stock" racers and inspire imaginations. The three blade on the bearcat seemed to be very effective for that.

Comment

Strega and the Hilton Shawn
      Attached Files

Comment

1985 Shawn
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
          It's absolutely vital that we get kids involved in this event. Not doing so starts the clock that will chime out sooner than later. My grandmother started taking me to Reno in 1969, when I was 4 years old. Both of my daughters started going when they were small, and my oldest grandson has been there every year of his life thus far.
          This image is from several years ago. My youngest daughter and my nephew went with me to PRS for a day, and we had a great time. His favorite aircraft was The Bear, and when we saw it being pushed out of the hangar he asked if we could go up and have a look. Not only did we do that, but he was given permission from the crew to take some close-up pics and to even grab a rag and wipe some oil off of the cowling. It made his entire day, and he talked about it for a very long time. We lost him to a drunk driver 4 years ago this month, and seeing his huge grin in this pic puts a lump in my throat. I miss him terribly.

What a nice picture you shared, then I read the part about your loss. No parent/grandparent should have to go through what you'all did.

Thank you for sharing the photo/story with us. His smile will live forever.

Hans

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
            Strega and the Hilton Shawn
            Shawn,

Sure brings back the memories and the fact that time goes so fast, before you know it your an old geezer :-)

Keep sharing, maybe youth will come back to this old body.

Comment

Valley of Speed

Never gets old experiencing a good race there.

Comment

I really hope we get to see PM on course again one day.....

Comment

The future of the sport. He asked me this weekend if we were going to camp at the airport again soon, and was pretty sad that we don't get to do that this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
                    It's absolutely vital that we get kids involved in this event.
                    Sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine.

My kids have never known a September without the races. They’ve gone every year since they were born. They’ve also experienced way more than I did in the air race world as children. That’s the goal right? Give them more than you had. That’s been made possible by my father because I’ve been going all my life too. I’ve taken that knowledge and provided them with more air race fun than I ever had at their age. They are lifers already.
                    Attached Files
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post

My kids have never known a September without the races. They’ve gone every year since they were born. They’ve also experienced way more than I did in the air race world as children. That’s the goal right? Give them more than you had. That’s been made possible by my father because I’ve been going all my life too. I’ve taken that knowledge and provided them with more air race fun than I ever had at their age. They are lifers already.
                      Great thoughts and shots.

The B&W pic of the kids holding hands looking out at the flighline is epic!
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post

You and I are running parallel paths. My kids saw and did far more than I at their ages, and my grandsons will hopefully get to do more still. I always get a nice infusion of kid-like joy whenever my oldest grandson points up and yells "Airplane!"

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                          Could part 1 be made as a sticky?
                          I think you PM'd me on same subject, I did put both part 1 and part 2 as sticky! Thanks for the head's up to do so, I'm still very preoccupied with going from condo dweller to homeowner with no furniture!! LOL!!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                            I hate to say it but without the really fast racers attending it's going to be hard to bring in new fans. Airplanes like the Bear and Strega need to be there to stand out from the crowd of "stock" racers and inspire imaginations. The three blade on the bearcat seemed to be very effective for that.
                            I truly hope you are wrong, though I share your doubts!

One thing I ponder a lot is, how much do the young folks really care about the WWII stuff?

Of course, to the "choir"... Us, anything with big pistons from WWII makes our... nipples hard, right!

The reality of it is, fielding a major warbird effort falls into the realm of stupid rich (NO pun intended! Most rich people I've known are anything but!) Used to be, a group of guys like Bill Rogers and Gary Levitz could make something special, or a guy like Will Whiteside could bring a "cheap" warbird to RENO and make excitement.

My buddy who is on this board but never posts, has a Bonanza, he actually brought it to the Heritage a few years ago, the grand a month insurance payment, flown or not, is forcing him to sell!!!!!

OK, I'll cut to the chase!

We're going to have to accept that there might not be any large influx of warbird/unlimited/super fast entries in the future.

Precious Metal, as far as I know, is going to TF... Rare bear? Who knows, the genius behind her success has passed to history.. Dago Red... again, who knows!, Strega... I suspect that airplane is sitting in Tiger's hangar ready and waiting to kick ass!

But against who?

My entire point of this response is to say that we'd better figure out a way to make the history of the sport keep that part of it that we warbirders love, as well as build the interest on what CAN be done...

Personally, I fall back on my "restrictor plate" idea from year's ago.. What if you figured out a way to restrict very rare warbirds to a power level that would not wound them, yet allow pilots to challenge each other?

As of now, only your pocketbook makes those rules!

I hope we can figure it out!!

PS... If Fred Telling is reading this... are you interested in hosting on the server? I have to move it and intend to keep it in a powerful multi access datacenter.. Currently, there's only AAFO and the Heritage site on the box, visitors have funded us for a year in advance...

I should make this a formal offer via phone I guess but what to heck..

Has this site ever porked on the last day of the races?

When Jimmy went in, I was able to access the message board from outer four via my cell phone and got word of who/what happened..

Never went down, as far as I know.

I think we all would feel good about helping by letting them be on here! This box is designed to handle 100+ websites, hooked to a 100mbps connection in a datacenter that has multiple paths in and out...

Sorry, I just brain farted this idea and posted off topic!

MODERATOR LOL.. feel free to move to new thread..
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

LOL.. you guys can always tell when I've had my evening's ration of bitters can't you??
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X