Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

Here's a photo from Ezell's shop in 2017, I believe it's been there since the Bear's first trip to their shop. I've seen another photo that puts it there in 2018 as well, but nothing beyond on that. Just a guess on my part but I don't see a reason as to why it would be anywhere else considering that Ezell is still working on the Bear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	21105613_10154739168432233_3478427549084685433_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	231957

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
      Here's a photo from Ezell's shop in 2017, I believe it's been there since the Bear's first trip to their shop. I've seen another photo that puts it there in 2018 as well, but nothing beyond on that. Just a guess on my part but I don't see a reason as to why it would be anywhere else considering that Ezell is still working on the Bear.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26395[/ATTACH]
      That sure looks like it.

Comment

Here's the aforementioned photo from May 2018

Name:	IMG_5693crop.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	231958

Comment

Someone from Ezell's shop should know something about it. P51 A?
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
            Here's the aforementioned photo from May 2018

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26396[/ATTACH]
            That certainly looks like it. I don’t recall the dome being black, but it’s been a long time. Thanks for taking the time to figure out where you spotted it.
            Last edited by knot4u; 12-09-2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
              Someone from Ezell's shop should know something about it. P51 A?
              It's way too big for a Mustang. The modified cuffs on the obvious P-3 blades are pretty apparent even though they appear to be wrapped in cardboard or wrapping paper. Like I said before, anyone who has spent any time around it will recognize it quickly. It seems as if the mystery regarding the location of that prop is solved. If someone was to try to build a fake they wouldn't wrap it up, I suspect that's the one. I've pondered about what future purpose that prop might have, there are legal issues, and I still wonder who it could be sent to for inspection/overhaul (Cal-Prop doesn't exist anymore), and it's not just a plug and play to go from a Aeroproducts prop to a Hamilton Standard. I wonder what will happen to it? BCIV mentioned Barry Bearson, he was the owner of Cal-Prop when I worked there. I didn't work on props, I worked on prop controls, C-130 and P-3 stuff was our moneymaker, firebomber stuff was a close second and the warbird stuff was just icing on the cake. We did not work on small airplane propellers. When I joined the Bearcat team I was working as a newly appointed A/P at Santa Paula and eventually Gil offered me a job and I took it. I dont know if a place like Cal-Prop exists these days. The variety of what was going through that shop was pretty amazing. Trying to find a shop that would be willing to sign off any work on that prop might be difficult. Maybe it will end up as someones really cool ceiling fan.
              Last edited by knot4u; 12-10-2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Shots without the spinner are unusual. Quite different ...
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                  Shots without the spinner are unusual. Quite different ...
                  That's Gil and I either removing or reinstalling the prop at Reno. There would normally be no reason to remove the spinner or prop if the engine wasn't broken, and it wasn't. It was a strange day. Maybe BCIV can chime in as to why we were tasked to remove it. And the dome is polished as I did correctly recall, there was some teflon and if you look close you can see why. I miss Gil, we worked very closely together outside of the Bearcat for a long time. And before anyone says anything about any "product" in my hair, there was, it's engine oil. That whole thing happened right at the edge of our pit and Gil and I were testing the limits of 6' ladders 5' from a very curious/enthusiastic crowd of fans.
                  Last edited by knot4u; 12-10-2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                    That's Gil and I either removing or reinstalling the prop at Reno. There would normally be no reason to remove the spinner or prop if the engine wasn't broken, and it wasn't. It was a strange day. Maybe BCIV can chime in as to why we were tasked to remove it. And the dome is polished as I did correctly recall, there was some teflon and if you look close you can see why. I miss Gil, we worked very closely together outside of the Bearcat for a long time. And before anyone says anything about any "product" in my hair, there was, it's engine oil. That whole thing happened right at the edge of our pit and Gil and I were testing the limits of 6' ladders 5' from a very curious/enthusiastic crowd of fans.
                    Well, in those days a fast Bear was an oily Bear, so if you didn't wear a hat, odds are, you'd end up with oil in one's hair.

I think the 3 blade went to Texas the first time the Bear did. That was why I was saying it would make sense if the pic I saw was at Ezell's, but I've got a pretty good memory, and the pic or video that I can't seem to find wasn't there. It wasn't the Bear cave either. I'm sure at this point more than a couple people think I'm smoking crack, since I can't find the pic/video I'm just going to let it go.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                      Well, in those days a fast Bear was an oily Bear, so if you didn't wear a hat, odds are, you'd end up with oil in one's hair.

I think the 3 blade went to Texas the first time the Bear did. That was why I was saying it would make sense if the pic I saw was at Ezell's, but I've got a pretty good memory, and the pic or video that I can't seem to find wasn't there. It wasn't the Bear cave either. I'm sure at this point more than a couple people think I'm smoking crack, since I can't find the pic/video I'm just going to let it go.

Will
                      With regards to hair products, look at Gil's hat, it was probably new when we got there that week.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                        With regards to hair products, look at Gil's hat, it was probably new when we got there that week.
                        As I said, a dirty Bear is a fast Bear. At that time, Bear was both dirty and fast. In more recent years, Bear has been clean, and not as fast. Whatever Mel Gregor and company were doing back then was clearly not being done by their successors. Sure the plane is clean, but its not as fast. There must be a correlation there somewhere

Will

Comment

I was going to suggest at least it was cheaper than store-bought product, but you'd pay for it in toil and sweat instead!
                          Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                            As I said, a dirty Bear is a fast Bear. At that time, Bear was both dirty and fast. In more recent years, Bear has been clean, and not as fast. Whatever Mel Gregor and company were doing back then was clearly not being done by their successors. Sure the plane is clean, but its not as fast. There must be a correlation there somewhere

Will
                            With all due respect his name was Mel Gregoire. Another friend that I miss. If you were a man in your thirties and you invited an old friend over for BBQ and he stole not only your wifes heart but your dogs heart as well and he just smiled at you and you knew it was okay then maybe you knew someone like Mel. We actually did build a very clean engine once, but it was down on power, but not from anything we'd done. We blew it up. I'm not sure if I should say any more about that, it might be another one of those topics BCIV is in a better position to speak about.
                            Last edited by knot4u; 12-12-2021, 01:05 AM.

Comment

I knew I saw the 3 blade prop on a hangar wall. It took me a while to find it. I took it on Thursday 9-14-2006.

Name:	IMG_0281.JPG
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	231964

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	231963
                              Last edited by Plane Nuts; 12-13-2021, 02:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
                                I knew I saw the 3 blade prop on a hangar wall. It took me a while to find it. I took it on Thursday 9-14-2006.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26402[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26401[/ATTACH]
                                That's a nice picture of Bill Hickle. I was always envious, but not jealous, of his perfectly trimmed beard. Lots of 6' ladders too.

Comment

Working...
                                X