Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos

Default Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos

Sunday I met up with the legend Lockheed Bob, we sat down and he showed me his photos he has from the Cleveland Air Races plus some other old air race photos. What a wonderful person and life Lockheed Bob has had, a true air race fan and his photos/stories need to be preserved for history.

Lockheed Bob asked me if I could scan the photos and share them here. Note, these photos are 4 x 6 so these have previously been scanned from original photos at one time or another.

Thanks again Lockheed Bob, you are a true legend and I hope to see you again. Hopefully you can add some story line to each.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HR3_6959.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	26006

Lockheed Bob at 16

Name:	HR3_6966.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	26007
    Last edited by Desertdawg; Today at 05:35 AM.

Default Re: Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos

Lockheed Bob's Photos

Name:	LB1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	25960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	25961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB3.jpg 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	25962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB4.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	25963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB5.jpg 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	25964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB6.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	26008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB7.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	26009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB8.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	26010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB9.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	26011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB10.jpg 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	26012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB11.jpg 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	26013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB12.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	26014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB13.jpg 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	26015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB14.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	26016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB15.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	26017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB16.jpg 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	26018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB17.jpg 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	26019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB18.jpg 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	26020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB19.jpg 
Size:	717.1 KB 
ID:	26021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB20.jpg 
Size:	754.3 KB 
ID:	26022
    Last edited by Desertdawg; Today at 05:36 AM.

Wow...just wow.

What a treasure, both man and photos!

If there's one thing I regret to some degree about my role at Reno it's that I simply have little to no time to mingle, walk the pits, meet AAFO'ers and the like.

Bob, thanks very much for sharing your stories, your images, and your insights. Please know that, at least for me, they are respected and appreciated very much!

Stay well both of you!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Doggie, what resolution are you scanning to? I'd like you to scan to highest resolution possible and save all original scans at best quality possible. AAFO kitty will buy you an SSD of whatever size is needed. Now that we've got Bob's photos in hand, we need to ensure that they are not only shown here, I'm thinking some sort of photo book would be in order..

We are so very fortunate to have Lockheed Bob here in this forum, I want to get and tell his story to the world...

Thanks Dawg for doing this!!!!

Your efforts are also priceless! You have been making it like we all live out there sharing your visits..

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Wayne,

These were previously scanned, cropped and printed to 4 x 6. So I can only capture what the previous scan caught. However, it was only 300 dpi, I just set to 600 dpi and will scan again. Plus I will post at full resolution, usually I export at High vs Maximum, since these are scanned at 600 dpi I can do that. If Bob still has the original prints I would be happy to scan them.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Doggie, what resolution are you scanning to? I'd like you to scan to highest resolution possible and save all original scans at best quality possible. AAFO kitty will buy you an SSD of whatever size is needed. Now that we've got Bob's photos in hand, we need to ensure that they are not only shown here, I'm thinking some sort of photo book would be in order..

We are so very fortunate to have Lockheed Bob here in this forum, I want to get and tell his story to the world...

Thanks Dawg for doing this!!!!

Your efforts are also priceless! You have been making it like we all live out there sharing your visits..

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-21-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Wayne,

These were previously scanned, cropped and printed to 4 x 6. So I can only capture what the previous scan caught. However, it was only 300 dpi, I just set to 600 dpi and will scan again. Plus I will post at full resolution, usually I export at High vs Maximum, since these are scanned at 600 dpi I can do that. If Bob still has the original prints I would be happy to scan them.

Hans
    Ahh.. You stated all that in the original post.. I need to start reading more carefully! Does not help that I can barely see the text on my lappy screen lately (need bi-focals or computer specific glasses my readers don't work)

Anyway.. we'll work with what we got ey!!

Nice thing about where we live (the server) we got a BOATLOAD of storage space! Also creating a URL and such is about a $15. per year (domain fee) So we could actually have his photos under lockheedbob.com or something like that..

He is, indeed a treasure and sharing him with the world is one of our duties here I think!!!

I beat the pnumonia that was keeping me down the past few months (due to the damage to my throat from radiation, I tend to inhale some of whatever I eat or drink.. plus just inhalation of saliva and post nasal drip) I tend to get bacterial pnumonia quite easily if I don't caugh up what I inhale right away..

I have a lot more energy, right now, than I have in months... too bad we didn't discover the problem sooner, I'd have probably have made it..

Back to Bob.... KEEP EM COMIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Default Re: Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos Album Feature

Dawg, not sure if only I see the link (admin of site) but on the community link, there's an album tab, would you look into that? Might be a good way to share all of the works on one page with thumbnails to all... then link to the post??
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Default Re: Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos Album Feature

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Dawg, not sure if only I see the link (admin of site) but on the community link, there's an album tab, would you look into that? Might be a good way to share all of the works on one page with thumbnails to all... then link to the post??
    Wayne, let's leave it here for now, I'm hoping Bob will slowly start adding some of his story line here to each photo. Every photo had a cool story.

Hans

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob in the pits a couple of years ago.. looking forward to seeing more of the scrapbook. Thanks for sharing it, Bob.

Combined into 2nd thread
    Last edited by Desertdawg; Today at 05:33 AM.