Voodoo extending speed record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo extending speed record?

Any news on Voodoo going for Speed Record next month or maybe that's classified information LOL Or maybe they are on hold because of the Covid 19 , not wanting to get the news out because it might draw a crowd. I have heard earlier that Steven Hinton was planning on going for it again, to get the Record up over the 1% margin because the posted average of 531 was not the required 1% to officially beat the previous record. I know on the last lap # 4 his engine was toast, resulting in around 515. Making a high G turn around lowering the average and getting it set up for landing with a ailing Merlin. A good healthy engine would be nice to get the record out of reach. That first pass at 554 was impressive. Plus the difference in the engine displacement comparisons between Rare Bear and Voodoo. That thing was amazing. Vintage V-12 can build a Race Prepared Merlin, very impressive achievement, for them and the Voodoo Team that made it happen in 2017.

Mark G Ehlers
    Last edited by marke; 07-21-2020, 12:16 PM.
    Mark G. Ehlers

Re: Voodoo extending speed record?

Originally posted by marke View Post
    Any news on Voodoo going for Speed Record next month or maybe that's classified information LOL Or maybe they are on hold because of the Covid 19 , not wanting to get the news out because it might draw a crowd. I have heard earlier that Steven Hinton was planning on going for it again, to get the Record up over the 1% margin because the posted average of 531 was not the required 1% to officially beat the previous record. I know on the last lap # 4 his engine was toast, resulting in around 515. Making a high G turn around lowering the average and getting it set up for landing with a ailing Merlin. A good healthy engine would be nice to get the record out of reach. That first pass at 554 was impressive. Plus the difference in the engine displacement comparisons between Rare Bear and Voodoo. That thing was amazing. Vintage V-12 can build a Race Prepared Merlin, very impressive achievement, for them and the Voodoo Team that made it happen in 2017.

Mark G Ehlers
    That is a tramendous speed...554 mph...it is 891.4 km/h.

Tu-95 bear is the only faster prop plane speed recorded in level flight.

---

edit: https://www.airspacemag.com/flight-t...ane-180969509/

It is actually 554.69 mph = 892.5 km/h
    Last edited by Jukka; 07-22-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marke View Post

Mark G Ehlers
      I'd think the unfortunate sudden passing of Joe Clark would likely put any plans to try again into a bit of turmoil unless everything had already been laid out and settled. Joe founded Aviation Partners and provided at least his ranch, with its private runway and hangar (and maybe some monetary support?), for the last attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
        That is a tramendous speed...554 mph...it is 891.4 km/h.

Tu-95 bear is the only faster prop plane speed recorded in level flight.

---

edit: https://www.airspacemag.com/flight-t...ane-180969509/

It is actually 554.69 mph = 892.5 km/h
        Hi Jukka,
        thanks for posting this link , have it seen a little bit modified also here:

I'm wondering that author Scotty G talks about record motor have had "only" 3100 hp?!
        I remember former articles and especially the old Strega website where it was mentioned race-prepped Merlin is doing around 3600 to 3800 hp (also without Nitrous injection)...

Gibbs

Comment

Beating Lyle's record of 528.329 would be symbolic as with the changing of parameters the 1989 record was retired. Voodoo actually took the record from Will Whiteside/Steadfast.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
            I'd think the unfortunate sudden passing of Joe Clark would likely put any plans to try again into a bit of turmoil unless everything had already been laid out and settled. Joe founded Aviation Partners and provided at least his ranch, with its private runway and hangar (and maybe some monetary support?), for the last attempt.
            I think this is the key besides COVID. I'm not sure who is "taking the reigns" after Joe's passing, but Warhawk Air Museum announced that Joe's Tigercat will be at their gathering (if it happens). That makes me think at the very least things haven't completely halted regarding Joe's assets and should be some positive news. Just comparing this to Daryl Bond's passing and Lady Jo going up for sale. At least whoever is in charge after Joe seems to have the warbird interests at heart and wants to continue the legacy.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
            X