X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 20

102:44:24 Aldrin: 200 feet, 4 1/2 down.

102:44:26 Aldrin: 5 1/2 down.

102:44:29 Armstrong: I got a good spot .

102:44:31 Aldrin: 160 feet, 6 1/2 down.

102:44:33 Aldrin: 5 1/2 down, 9 forward. You're looking good.

102:44:40 Aldrin: 120 feet.

102:44:45 Aldrin: 100 feet, 3 1/2 down, 9 forward. Five percent. Quantity light.

102:44:54 Aldrin: Okay. 75 feet. And it's looking good. Down a half, 6 forward.

102:45:02 Duke: 60 seconds.

102:45:17 Aldrin: 40 feet, down 2 1/2. Picking up some dust.

102:45:21 Aldrin: 30 feet, 2 1/2 down. (Garbled) shadow.

102:45:25 Aldrin: 4 forward. 4 forward. Drifting to the right a little. 20 feet, down a half.

102:45:31 Duke: 30 seconds

102:45:32 Aldrin: Drifting forward just a little bit; that's good.

102:45:43 Armstrong : Shutdown

102:45:44 Aldrin: Okay. Engine Stop.

102:45:45 Aldrin: ACA out of Detent.

102:45:46 Armstrong: Out of Detent. Auto.

102:45:47 Aldrin: Mode Control, both Auto. Descent Engine Command Override, Off. Engine Arm, Off. 413 is in.

102:45:57 Duke: We copy you down, Eagle.

102:45:58 Armstrong: Engine arm is off. Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.

(Text from the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.landing.html)
    Last edited by L.E.D.; 07-20-2020, 09:38 PM.

Re: July 20

The Single Greatest Achievement Known To Mankind. Full Stop.

When you think about the fact that it was over 50 years ago, and where we are now, it's beyond comprehension. Yes, the Space Shuttle was a remarkable program and yes, ISS is as well. But to go from 12 men walking on the moon to no footprints off the planet since then...well...it's just no right.

We're making baby steps again, learning to walk all over again. We'll get there...hopefully in my lifetime!

Thanks for the reminder! That never gets old...
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

What's funny is the doubters not realizing the technology to fake the landings is decades more advanced than the technology to simply go there.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
        What's funny is the doubters not realizing the technology to fake the landings is decades more advanced than the technology to simply go there.
        Indeed. Not to mention the tens of thousands of mouths that would have to keep shut for decade after decade.

Best response ever...Aldrin punching the nutjob who accused him of being a stooge for the conspiracy.
        Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
          Best response ever...Aldrin punching the nutjob who accused him of being a stooge for the conspiracy.
          Indeed! From what I understand, that really wasn't Buzz's normal reaction to that sort of thing, he was a pretty easy going guy and quite friendly...

It only proves the old saying "no matter how hard you try, you just can not fix stupid"

We went to the moon...

It's not fiction, it really happened.... those who doubt, get overyourself!!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The Single Greatest Achievement Known To Mankind. Full Stop.

When you think about the fact that it was over 50 years ago, and where we are now, it's beyond comprehension. Yes, the Space Shuttle was a remarkable program and yes, ISS is as well. But to go from 12 men walking on the moon to no footprints off the planet since then...well...it's just no right.

We're making baby steps again, learning to walk all over again. We'll get there...hopefully in my lifetime!

Thanks for the reminder! That never gets old...

I've told the story before here, but one of my favorite air race moments was meeting Gene Cernan in the pits, who despite clearly needing to be somewhere, stopped to meet my six year old. He took an knee to talk to a little boy, eye to eye and they spoke about what it was like to be there and whether my son or someone he knew would be the next person to walk on the moon. Cernan treated him like he was the most important person in the world and they went back and forth for more than five minutes while the other adults including me knew to keep quite and listen. Someone probably a bit older than my son (23 now), will be the next person to walk on the moon. Thanks Gene.

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
              I've told the story before here, but one of my favorite air race moments was meeting Gene Cernan in the pits, who despite clearly needing to be somewhere, stopped to meet my six year old. He took an knee to talk to a little boy, eye to eye and they spoke about what it was like to be there and whether my son or someone he knew would be the next person to walk on the moon. Cernan treated him like he was the most important person in the world and they went back and forth for more than five minutes while the other adults including me knew to keep quite and listen. Someone probably a bit older than my son (23 now), will be the next person to walk on the moon. Thanks Gene.
              Awesome story...and one I'm sure your son will remember and recount his entire life. What an ambassador for NASA, as virtually all those guys were. Gene had a way about him that was so down to earth, so to speak.

Quick story:
              During my stint as a tenured Docent at Seattle Museum of Flight I was selected to "host" a few Cosmonauts including Vladimir Titov (at the time, held record for most hours in space) and be their guide for the evening a huge fund-raising gala at MoF, MC'd by Harrison Ford. Awesome evening with a large portion of the US astronauts and Mission Control folks. (forgive me, forgot the year exactly but believe it was mid-90's or so).

I gave the Cosmonauts a "Gilligan Tour" (3 hours) of the museum during the day and we spent a fair amount of time, one on one, just talking (his English far outpaced by Russian!). At first I was a bit intimidated...I mean...what the Hell am I going to tell these guys?! When Mr. Titov returned for the gala and was roaming around a hour before the event, a group of US astronauts and Cosmonauts where chatting it up. Mr. Titov spotted me and yelled out, "Mr. Owen, come over here!" Funny how first names become last names! As I got closer I realized who was in the group of US astronauts.

Mr. Titov puts an arm around me, in typical Russion fashion and accent, Vodka in hand, pulls me into the group and says, "Mr. Owen I'd like you meet a few of my friends. Gentleman, this is Mr. Owen. He was my guy today at the museum." He started to go around the group:

"Mr Owen, this is Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, Buzz Aldrin, Gene Cernan, Gene Kranz, Gordon Cooper, ...". After he introduced me, I jokingly looked down at my pants zipper as if to check if I had pissed my pants. The laugh that came out of Mr. Titov's mouth and several of the US guys was priceless. Filled the room. We chatted for a bit and I moved on. Still hear every word...hopefully just like your son does I hope. At six year old perhaps not...but you certainly do!

Gene Cernan was so outgoing, not that the others were not. He was so personable. Took me aside for a moment and thanked me for making his Russian counter-part feel at home. Night to Remember...

I hope your son regards that moment as a highlight of his youth. And yes...Thank you, Gene!
              Last edited by Air Boss; 07-21-2020, 06:26 PM.
              Owen Ashurst

Comment

Awesome story...and one I'm sure your son will remember and recount his entire life. What an ambassador for NASA, as virtually all those guys were. Gene had a way about him that was so down to earth, so to speak.

Quick story:
                During my stint as a tenured Docent at Seattle Museum of Flight I was selected to "host" a few Cosmonauts including Vladimir Titov (at the time, held record for most hours in space) and be their guide for the evening a huge fund-raising gala at MoF, MC'd by Harrison Ford. Awesome evening with a large portion of the US astronauts and Mission Control folks. (forgive me, forgot the year exactly but believe it was mid-90's or so).

I gave the Cosmonauts a "Gilligan Tour" (3 hours) of the museum during the day and we spent a fair amount of time, one on one, just talking (his English far outpaced by Russian!). At first I was a bit intimidated...I mean...what the Hell am I going to tell these guys?! When Mr. Titov returned for the gala and was roaming around a hour before the event, a group of US astronauts and Cosmonauts where chatting it up. Mr. Titov spotted me and yelled out, "Mr. Owen, come over here!" Funny how first names become last names! As I got closer I realized who was in the group of US astronauts.

Mr. Titov puts an arm around me, in typical Russion fashion and accent, Vodka in hand, pulls me into the group and says, "Mr. Owen I'd like you meet a few of my friends. Gentleman, this is Mr. Owen. He was my guy today at the museum." He started to go around the group:

"Mr Owen, this is Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, Buzz Aldrin, Gene Cernan, Gene Kranz, Gordon Cooper, ...". After he introduced me, I jokingly looked down at my pants zipper as if to check if I had pissed my pants. The laugh that came out of Mr. Titov's mouth and several of the US guys was priceless. Filled the room. We chatted for a bit and I moved on. Still hear every word...hopefully just like your son does I hope. At six year old perhaps not...but you certainly do!

Gene Cernan was so outgoing, not that the others were not. He was so personable. Took me aside for a moment and thanked me for making his Russian counter-part feel at home. Night to Remember...

I hope your son regards that moment as a highlight of his youth. And yes...Thank you, Gene!
                That must have been quite a night! And he totally remembers it He's been a big racing fan and by that age was pushing me to get in for the first race every day. He's missed the last four years while at college and was supposed to join us there this year.

Comment

Working...
                X