Looking Forward to Reno 2021!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Forward to Reno 2021!

Even as a die hard race fan, I've already come to terms with the cancellation of this year's races because it creates the pathway for so much more to happen in 2021.

First off, Thunderbirds are BACK!!! This will ALWAYS be a positive for the races. I enjoyed their show immensely last year.

The Unlimited Class might actually enjoy this year off, with a really good return slated for next year. Like what?

Miss America has some more mods planned, that may not have happened this year. Plus having to get a new race engine, etc. The team now has over a year to get Miss A ready to go for a kick at the crown, and they want to!

We will finally get to see how Sawbones performs with the new prop, and the lower profile canopy. Been too long since I've heard a 3350 turn the pylons!

Dusty will almost positively have Lylia finished, especially now that Reno is cancelled and there's some more downtime. It just makes more time for things to happen! And hopefully the Yak he was going to race this year will have her owner take her reigns at PRS 2021 and we will have a new pilot on the course!

Full Noise!! A whole year for Graeme to get FN ready for 2021. I was going to miss them this year and now we get to see them next year almost certainly.

Rare Bear? Or any of the Super Unlimiteds. Rumor was Bear would "more or less" be finished up at Breck sometime next year. That could really change things IF there is a Reno Return slated for Bear.

Race 64! I was very skeptical we were going to see Vicky in Race 64 this year with her torn apart, but it's looking very promising to have her in tip-top shape for 2021!

The Thibodeau Team! Hopefully we will finally get to see On Eagle's Wings take to the sticks in her new finish. Hoping to get some updates from J.P. soon.

Palm Springs Air Museum! There were plans to return this year, but I had a feeling it would've been a stretch. It'll be great to have them back next year.

Tsunami! Looking forward to seeing a fuselage at Reno in 2021. That will be a huge stepping stone that all of us will be able to drool over. Looks like they're progressing more and more every day.

And just some outliers; Will Whiteside in the Corsair? Maybe Dusty will have Shanty Irish present with Lylia. And then there's the Alan Preston rumor and his intent to race "something" in 2020. Hopefully that will come to fruition in 2021.

Then the Sport Class should have some new competition as well! Tom McNerney may finally be finished with his full-race Legacy. Brett Schuck will be in "Lucky Too" (with a new name). Some of the other Gold competitors have more time to mod and test with all eyes set on Reno 2021!

There's some new ideas and innovations coming through the pipeline for RARA as a whole as well. Can't say what they are just yet, but RARA is really looking at some ways to refresh the races with the downtime they have for the next year. I hope I'll be able to get some feedback on these ideas from AAFO to see what you all think!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Looking Forward to Reno 2021!

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Then the Sport Class should have some new competition as well! Tom McNerney may finally be finished with his full-race Legacy. Brett Schuck will be in "Lucky Too" (with a new name). Some of the other Gold competitors have more time to mod and test with all eyes set on Reno 2021!
    That sounds exciting! I must have missed his updates
    Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Even as a die hard race fan, I've already come to terms with the cancellation of this year's races because it creates the pathway for so much more to happen in 2021.

First off, Thunderbirds are BACK!!! This will ALWAYS be a positive for the races. I enjoyed their show immensely last year.

The Unlimited Class might actually enjoy this year off, with a really good return slated for next year. Like what?

Miss America has some more mods planned, that may not have happened this year. Plus having to get a new race engine, etc. The team now has over a year to get Miss A ready to go for a kick at the crown, and they want to!

We will finally get to see how Sawbones performs with the new prop, and the lower profile canopy. Been too long since I've heard a 3350 turn the pylons!

Dusty will almost positively have Lylia finished, especially now that Reno is cancelled and there's some more downtime. It just makes more time for things to happen! And hopefully the Yak he was going to race this year will have her owner take her reigns at PRS 2021 and we will have a new pilot on the course!

Full Noise!! A whole year for Graeme to get FN ready for 2021. I was going to miss them this year and now we get to see them next year almost certainly.

Rare Bear? Or any of the Super Unlimiteds. Rumor was Bear would "more or less" be finished up at Breck sometime next year. That could really change things IF there is a Reno Return slated for Bear.

Race 64! I was very skeptical we were going to see Vicky in Race 64 this year with her torn apart, but it's looking very promising to have her in tip-top shape for 2021!

The Thibodeau Team! Hopefully we will finally get to see On Eagle's Wings take to the sticks in her new finish. Hoping to get some updates from J.P. soon.

Palm Springs Air Museum! There were plans to return this year, but I had a feeling it would've been a stretch. It'll be great to have them back next year.

Tsunami! Looking forward to seeing a fuselage at Reno in 2021. That will be a huge stepping stone that all of us will be able to drool over. Looks like they're progressing more and more every day.

And just some outliers; Will Whiteside in the Corsair? Maybe Dusty will have Shanty Irish present with Lylia. And then there's the Alan Preston rumor and his intent to race "something" in 2020. Hopefully that will come to fruition in 2021.

There's some new ideas and innovations coming through the pipeline for RARA as a whole as well. Can't say what they are just yet, but RARA is really looking at some ways to refresh the races with the downtime they have for the next year. I hope I'll be able to get some feedback on these ideas from AAFO to see what you all think!
      How would you or others feel about basing the TBirds at RTS instead of at RNO?
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
        Personally really liked them at RNO. Too much downtime getting them off the ground and parked. And I think the overhead arrival is a lot more exciting that watching them take off and start the demo.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
          RNO. Too much down time otherwise.

Comment

Plus, for those of us that ramp sit, they block the view.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Totally understand the mitigation of impact part by staging out of RNO but when I think about the total of the audience (not just the part represented here at AAFO,) I know that the T-Bird's ability to personally interact with the crowd is a big deal. For example, the chance to meet and interact with Maj. Curran alone opens the door for young girls to want to attend a T-Bird show. Not sure if the Major is going to roll off before '21 but I could see a dedicated outreach effort with her, Vicky and others to appeal to women/young girls.

Regardless, my vote would be to stage them at RTS if possible. I'd gladly put up with some timing/ramp positioning concerns if it meant the ability to have more people in the stands and the potential to hook some new race fans off of the T-Birds coat tails.

Owen, you can add another opinion and $5 to that donation from the other thread!

James

Comment

Good points James. My viewpoint is selfish but comes from experience. I also know that while it makes them money, it really taxes the local FBO to fuel and cater to the big teams.
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Always appreciate the candor and straight-forward comments.

I know posting a question such as this on this forum borders on blasphemy. Totally understandable.

Yes, it is true that staging jet teams at RTS would involve taking up more minutes of the waiver period. And as far as the ramp goes, the teams can and do stage down by BLM so there should be no sightline issues for anyone in the box seats. Recall when the Blues initially staged directly in front of the grandstand and that evening we relocated them well to the east for just that reason. It should be no factor.

Some interesting facts about 2019 starting Wed 1200hrs:

We held 60 racing events from 1200 Wednesday thru 1700 Sunday
                  We held 14 performer events from 1200 Thursday thru 1500 Sunday
                  Friday & Saturday there were 14 racing events each day; Sunday 13 racing events
                  Fri-Sun racing was 78% of all waivered airspace time...performers took 22%

Question to the group:

From a purely "butts in the seats" standpoint does the above breakout represent (i) the right mix of racing and performers, (ii) too much racing and not enough performers, or (iii) too much performers and not enough racing?

From my days as Docent at Seattle's Museum of Flight and as a Facilitator for the US Gov't leadership training seminars, one of the first things you must firmly grasp is...Know Your Audience? You don't want to be phrasing your talk in a "duckies and bunnies" context to a room full of aeronautical engineers nor do you want to leap into the characteristics of drag coefficients and laminar flow to the local PTA.

All that in mind, I have some expectation of how folks here may regard the question, but perhaps I'll be surprised as well.

Fire Away...
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

They still stage in front of the General admission seating, where we sit on the ramp. All the jets do so I guess it is normal. About as annoying as the security trucks and golf carts that park right in front of us!
                    The big jet teams bring in the people though. Just look at the GA areas after they land!
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                      They still stage in front of the General admission seating, where we sit on the ramp. All the jets do so I guess it is normal. About as annoying as the security trucks and golf carts that park right in front of us!
                      The big jet teams bring in the people though. Just look at the GA areas after they land!
                      Leo, where do you sit specifically? You are on the ramp directly in front of the GA stands, correct? Like directly in front of the Section 3 folks? Further west but before the Reserved grandstands? At the east end of the GA stands?

BTW, I'm happy to bring up the vehicle parking issue at the next meeting and in our debriefs during race week to remind folks. That said, most of those folks have to park somewhere and have to have clear access to the ramp, stands, etc. It's a fairly large ramp so perhaps they can find a better spot.
                      Last edited by Air Boss; 07-01-2020, 09:52 AM.
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

We are in the area between the ramp access drive and the east end, right next to handicap ramp seating. Every year they have made us a smaller and smaller area. We USED to be in front of section 3, now east about 2 sections. I have gotten into only sitting Sunday and sometimes Saturday, walking or carting around (when I can get one and a pass) during the week, hanging out at friends pits, etc. We are the low end of the economic support of the races, general admission seating, food as required and a few trinkets. With the passes I can get we get there very early, around 6 so get a decent spot to set up. Been doing the same exact thing since 76, except for a few years in golf carts and when they had the platform at top of GA stands.
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

We are in the area between the ramp access drive and the east end, right next to handicap ramp seating. Every year they have made us a smaller and smaller area. We USED to be in front of section 3, now east about 2 sections. I have gotten into only sitting Sunday and sometimes Saturday, walking or carting around (when I can get one and a pass) during the week, hanging out at friends pits, etc. We are the low end of the economic support of the races, general admission seating, food as required and a few trinkets. With the passes I can get we get there very early, around 6 so get a decent spot to set up. Been doing the same exact thing since 76, except for a few years in golf carts and when they had the platform at top of GA stands.
                          Thanks, Leo. I'm trying to recall exactly where the ramp access road is that runs between the grandstands. You'd think I'd know for as many times as I run up and down the darn ramp in golf cart! Recollection is that access is at the break between Reserved and GA stands, correct? And the handicap area is now in front of the last section of Reserved, just before the ramp access break, or the first section of GA?

Trying to determine how the jet teams parking would interfere with your sightlines as they would be staged almost due north of the Heritage and Military Static Display areas, east of where the Jet class stages on the ramp prior to engine start/taxi.

Thanks for your patience. Just trying to understand your concerns here in the hopes I can pass it along accordingly.

Cheers!
                          Owen Ashurst

Comment

Between that ramp access and the heritage area.
                            Attached Files
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Between that ramp access and the heritage area.
                              Got it. Thanks.
                              Owen Ashurst

Comment

Working...
                              X