Random Discussion: R-2600 in a Yak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Discussion: R-2600 in a Yak?

Curious if this has ever been considered? Logically, the step between something like R-2000 in Steadfast and the R-2800 in Czech Mate. Positives/Negatives anyone? Would sound bad ass with short stacks like the B-25
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 06-29-2020, 03:04 PM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Random Discussion: R-2600 in a Yak?

I have minimal knowledge of these engines and all of the factors involved ...

But in a quick google search it seems that the P&W R-2800 weighs just about 300 pounds more than the Wright R-2600 and it actually has a slightly smaller diamater (53 to 55 inches). I would think that the relative similarities in size and weight may potentially lead to the assumption that if your going to throw an R-2600 into something you might as well throw in the R-2800 which puts out more horse power and even seems to have a slightly better power to weight ratio?
    Chris

Comment

A couple other considerations might be blower selection, as well as nose case selection. If you can't get the supercharger to produce the wanted power, and you can't slow the prop down enough to use it, its not really worth the effort.

I'm not sure an R2600 has ever been used in a racer. There must be a reason.

Will

Comment

Good reasoning, I can see all of these reasons making sense.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

An excellent upgrade to replace the R2000 in a Yak would be the R2180E, the last P&W radial designed. Prop reduction ratio below 0.5, same prop spindle as R2800, improved cooling, hydraulic lifters, improved compressor design, rated at 1900 ho take-off power,. Only problems are only 65 built and all ended up in Brazil. Only two I could locate are in plane in static display.

Comment

How about an "ASH82T" in a Yak.

It worked great in the La7 and La5Fn

I still think a merlin in a Yak9u would be a low level beast.
            Last edited by IcePaq; 07-02-2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X