• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bf-109.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	229838There is some room but I'm not seeing much. The P-51 has a benefit of being built with fuel tanks in the wings and fuselage. The 109 was built for a different mission and simply doesn't have that.

Using the numbers from this article as reference, there needs to be a lot of volume and while the gun bays get you something, it doesn't pass the eye test. I could do the math on volumes and stuff, but I'm too lazy.
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]24836[/ATTACH]There is some room but I'm not seeing much. The P-51 has a benefit of being built with fuel tanks in the wings and fuselage. The 109 was built for a different mission and simply doesn't have that.

Using the numbers from this article as reference, there needs to be a lot of volume and while the gun bays get you something, it doesn't pass the eye test. I could do the math on volumes and stuff, but I'm too lazy.
      https://www.machinedesign.com/market...-C93aW5H1vPgy0

Here is the K-4...the bulges are smoothed out unlike in G-14 or G-6.

My latest 109 K-4 skin + several G-10 variant. Credit goes to ICDP for his 2k template. Download: https://mega.nz/#!vHJ3SKRA!IRbUbqYg_mBc47qGzepRIs7aKxB-1VjUxNnUuHNBJg4 G-10 variant Download: https://mega.nz/#!GHAnTKDI!L9xpDjOoDvVOvwTUMolIFcw1pbSdK3echSP_qSIAkSo G-10 Hartmann variant Download: ht...

Comment

Well, when it cames to the fluids:

K model carries 400 litres fuel beneath pilot's seat and 85 litres "MW 50" (ADI) behind pilot, with stock motor (no spray bar) may be enough for 8 laps on the course.

Quite possible, that the wings will give some additional room for fluids if modified and sealed (caulked with integral tank sealant) as example done on Bearcat "Conquest I", but no idea how much litres

Gibbs

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
          a little correction:

some german book/magazine articles are saying, that latest 109 K-4 model was able to do 453 mph @ 19700 ft
          (with MAP 1,98 ata, ADI and 100-octane fuel = ca. 2000 hp); weight wasn't very much higher than G-10 model, ca. 5300 lb empty (only because of fully closed gear doors and retractable tail wheel).

DB 605 ASC engine surely has potential for further tuning, but at low altitude in above condition (no spraybar etc.) I think it could be a contender for stock P-51

Gibbs

Me-109 is bigger than the very fast He-100D was...so I think inside the bulges enough ADI fluids could be carried.

I ponder another feature in Me-109 G..as it has very much dihedral...and wing is small and the slats don't open in high speed...it is prone to high speed stall...or G-stall as we know it.

What kinda G-loads are we talking about in Reno at 500 mph speed ?

Still the elevator in 109 gets real heavy beyond 750 km/h...so that it is allmost beyond man muscle power to pull the stick...possibly the elevator stab trim control inflight ought to be added ( big turn wheel ).
          Last edited by Jukka; 07-05-2020, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
            What kinda G-loads are we talking about in Reno at 500 mph speed ? ...
            Not sure, but I think a 500-mph lap generates around 6 to 7 G

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
              Not sure, but I think a 500-mph lap generates around 6 to 7 G
              This might be the achilles heel in 109...it bleeds speed in tight turns.

Highest recorded vertical dive speed in FiAF annals is 950 + kp/h indicated.
              Last edited by Jukka; 07-06-2020, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X