• Show
Clear All

• Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

Click image for larger version

Name:	g-6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	242373

That is FiAFs MT-476 during summer of 1944.

Plane lasted heavy combat just 5 days. Therefore it is not dirty.

What does that photo possibly make you think ?
    Last edited by Jukka; 06-29-2020, 02:03 AM.

Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

As this seems to go nowhere this thread....and I know it is not air racing.

Then this pic is..MT-508 was converted into an air racer in 1950.

Click image for larger version

Name:	me109.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	229825

How good an air racer it could have been in Reno races...Bronze race contender ???
    Last edited by Jukka; 07-01-2020, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
      As this seems to go nowhere this thread....and I know it is not air racing.

Then this pic is..MT-508 was converted into an air racer in 1950.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24823[/ATTACH]

How good an air racer it could have been in Reno races...Bronze race contender ???
      Certainly no expert but I'd wager that she'd be Bronze. She'll cruise around 320mph. Likely little faster at RTS. Do a little wood-butchering and engine mods and she'd like do pretty well there.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
        Certainly no expert but I'd wager that she'd be Bronze. She'll cruise around 320mph. Likely little faster at RTS. Do a little wood-butchering and engine mods and she'd like do pretty well there.
        I figure factory new Me-109 G-6 went 400 mph ?

At sea level maybe 320 mph ?

But you may be right...I recall our ace Hand Wind used to say it was full on lumbs and bumps...because of many after fittings on it...all these made it very unclean in aerodynamical sense. Many say the F-model was the cleanest.

The K-model seemed to come out cleaner, but was massively heavier.

---

Yes the Me-109 K-14 had smoothened cowling bumbs...and retracted tail wheel and 4 blader prop...went 20 mph faster than G-10 model.

350 more horses too.
        Last edited by Jukka; 07-02-2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I figure factory new Me-109 G-6 went 400 mph ?
          I could be wrong but I believe those speeds were at altitude, not sea level. Reno is @ 5050'MSL so I'd expect higher speeds to come degree but not sure we'd see 400mph without mods.

Again...I'll stand to be corrected as there are multiple folks on here who know a heck of a lot more than I do about this!

Good find, BTW.
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Yes, but only at high altitude (~20.000ft).
            Talking about Messerschmitts, this G10 is based in Northern Germany and flies regularly (Heringsdorf, Usedom island).

Best regards,
            Florian
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
              Yes, but only at high altitude (~20.000ft).
              Talking about Messerschmitts, this G10 is based in Northern Germany and flies regularly (Heringsdorf, Usedom island).

Best regards,
              Florian
              That is very neat plane Florian !

I wonder if the 4-blader K-14 with 2000 hp engine was only 20 mph faster than the G-10?

Tschüss !
              Last edited by Jukka; 07-02-2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

There is an active thread in the aircraft designer section on a 109 I sketched up including a list of mods.

109 is a small airplane. Not much room for spray bar and ADI fluids.
                "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                  There is an active thread in the aircraft designer section on a 109 I sketched up including a list of mods.

109 is a small airplane. Not much room for spray bar and ADI fluids.
                  Yes and it does not have laminar flow wing foil....but it seems to have 8 liters bigger engine than a Merlin ?

Comment

a little correction:

some german book/magazine articles are saying, that latest 109 K-4 model was able to do 453 mph @ 19700 ft
                    (with MAP 1,98 ata, ADI and 100-octane fuel = ca. 2000 hp); weight wasn't very much higher than G-10 model, ca. 5300 lb empty (only because of fully closed gear doors and retractable tail wheel).

DB 605 ASC engine surely has potential for further tuning, but at low altitude in above condition (no spraybar etc.) I think it could be a contender for stock P-51

Gibbs
                    Last edited by Gibbs; 07-03-2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
                      a little correction:

some german book/magazine articles are saying, that latest 109 K-4 model was able to do 453 mph @ 19700 ft
                      (with MAP 1,98 ata, ADI and 100-octane fuel = ca. 2000 hp); weight wasn't very much higher than G-10 model, ca. 5300 lb empty (only because of fully closed gear doors and retractable tail wheel).

DB 605 ASC engine surely has potential for further tuning, but at low altitude in above condition (no spraybar etc.) I think it could be a contender for stock P-51

Gibbs
                      It would be pretty interesting if someone tuned the 109 K to go 500+ mph.

Comment

Hmm.... 500+ mph?
                        As well known, for this you need a lot of aero mods and completely new cooling system.

From what I understand a top level Merlin is doing 3400 rpm and around 140 inch MAP = ca. 3600 hp?
                        No idea where the peak on larger (35.7 litres) DB 605 could be (as mentioned variant ASC, stock: 2800 rpm and around 60 inch MAP).

Isn't Mike Nixon member of this board? Would be great to see little expertise from him

Gibbs

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
                          Hmm.... 500+ mph?
                          As well known, for this you need a lot of aero mods and completely new cooling system.

From what I understand a top level Merlin is doing 3400 rpm and around 140 inch MAP = ca. 3600 hp?
                          No idea where the peak on larger (35.7 litres) DB 605 could be (as mentioned variant ASC, stock: 2800 rpm and around 60 inch MAP).

Isn't Mike Nixon member of this board? Would be great to see little expertise from him

Gibbs
                          What is wrong with the present cooling system at high speeds ?

Comment

What is wrong with the present cooling system at high speeds ?
                            Every super unlimited has needed a super modified cooling system. Dago-Strega-Voodoo, Bear, 232, Dreadnought

The thing that hurts the 109 is no room for spray bar and ADI tanks.
                            "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                              Every super unlimited has needed a super modified cooling system. Dago-Strega-Voodoo, Bear, 232, Dreadnought

The thing that hurts the 109 is no room for spray bar and ADI tanks.

Have you studied that ?

Two machine guns and one 30 mm cannon with ammos can be left out ?
                              Last edited by Jukka; 07-04-2020, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X