Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    199

    Default Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g-6.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	24816

    That is FiAFs MT-476 during summer of 1944.

    Plane lasted heavy combat just 5 days. Therefore it is not dirty.

    What does that photo possibly make you think ?
    Last edited by Jukka; 06-29-2020 at 02:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    As this seems to go nowhere this thread....and I know it is not air racing.

    Then this pic is..MT-508 was converted into an air racer in 1950.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	me109.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	24823

    How good an air racer it could have been in Reno races...Bronze race contender ???
    Last edited by Jukka; 07-01-2020 at 10:27 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    As this seems to go nowhere this thread....and I know it is not air racing.

    Then this pic is..MT-508 was converted into an air racer in 1950.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	me109.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	24823

    How good an air racer it could have been in Reno races...Bronze race contender ???
    Certainly no expert but I'd wager that she'd be Bronze. She'll cruise around 320mph. Likely little faster at RTS. Do a little wood-butchering and engine mods and she'd like do pretty well there.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Certainly no expert but I'd wager that she'd be Bronze. She'll cruise around 320mph. Likely little faster at RTS. Do a little wood-butchering and engine mods and she'd like do pretty well there.
    I figure factory new Me-109 G-6 went 400 mph ?

    At sea level maybe 320 mph ?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Bf_109

    But you may be right...I recall our ace Hand Wind used to say it was full on lumbs and bumps...because of many after fittings on it...all these made it very unclean in aerodynamical sense. Many say the F-model was the cleanest.

    The K-model seemed to come out cleaner, but was massively heavier.

    ---

    Yes the Me-109 K-14 had smoothened cowling bumbs...and retracted tail wheel and 4 blader prop...went 20 mph faster than G-10 model.

    http://me109.airwar1946.nl/family/109K.htm

    350 more horses too.
    Last edited by Jukka; 07-02-2020 at 09:55 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I figure factory new Me-109 G-6 went 400 mph ?
    I could be wrong but I believe those speeds were at altitude, not sea level. Reno is @ 5050'MSL so I'd expect higher speeds to come degree but not sure we'd see 400mph without mods.

    Again...I'll stand to be corrected as there are multiple folks on here who know a heck of a lot more than I do about this!

    Good find, BTW.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    147

    Default Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    Yes, but only at high altitude (~20.000ft).
    Talking about Messerschmitts, this G10 is based in Northern Germany and flies regularly (Heringsdorf, Usedom island).

    Best regards,
    Florian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1259_00001m.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	24826  

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    199

    Thumbs up Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Yes, but only at high altitude (~20.000ft).
    Talking about Messerschmitts, this G10 is based in Northern Germany and flies regularly (Heringsdorf, Usedom island).

    Best regards,
    Florian
    That is very neat plane Florian !


    I wonder if the 4-blader K-14 with 2000 hp engine was only 20 mph faster than the G-10?



    Tschüss !
    Last edited by Jukka; 07-02-2020 at 11:38 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    There is an active thread in the aircraft designer section on a 109 I sketched up including a list of mods.

    109 is a small airplane. Not much room for spray bar and ADI fluids.
    "young" Thomas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    There is an active thread in the aircraft designer section on a 109 I sketched up including a list of mods.

    109 is a small airplane. Not much room for spray bar and ADI fluids.
    Yes and it does not have laminar flow wing foil....but it seems to have 8 liters bigger engine than a Merlin ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: Pic of a a Messerschmitt 109 G-6 !

    a little correction:

    some german book/magazine articles are saying, that latest 109 K-4 model was able to do 453 mph @ 19700 ft
    (with MAP 1,98 ata, ADI and 100-octane fuel = ca. 2000 hp); weight wasn't very much higher than G-10 model, ca. 5300 lb empty (only because of fully closed gear doors and retractable tail wheel).

    DB 605 ASC engine surely has potential for further tuning, but at low altitude in above condition (no spraybar etc.) I think it could be a contender for stock P-51

    Gibbs
    Last edited by Gibbs; 07-03-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •