Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Officially cancelled.....

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    8,115

    Default Re: Officially cancelled.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SpinB View Post
    RARA made a gutsy move...I think it's the right one, too! Even an 'inverted flat spin' can recover!
    Indeed! Given that the bastard virus is making a comeback wherever folks choose to gather without protection, i.e. where we've "opened up", this would have to have been the only choice they could make. If the reopening had been going better, and it looked like we're out of this thing, then taking the risk might have made sense... *might*

    That event has operated on such thin margins for so long, I truly believe that one bad year, where the money had been spent and did not return, we'd lose this sport forever!

    NOW..

    It's up to US to not only keep the excitement level up, but bring in more people!

    Once I get moved into my new house and can get all my files in one place, I'm going to do my best to make this site what it once was! We brought people in then, with your help we can do it again!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  2. #22

    Cool Re: Officially cancelled.....

    This would have been my husband's 45th year. He is bummed beyond belief. He has terminal cancer, so we just don't know how many more years he'll be able to make the journey.

    We are still going to Stead in September. We have to! We're up for any safely-distanced shenanigans! We've got a couple of RC planes we could utilize for some fun.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Officially cancelled.....

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcintire View Post
    This would have been my husband's 45th year. He is bummed beyond belief. He has terminal cancer, so we just don't know how many more years he'll be able to make the journey.

    We are still going to Stead in September. We have to! We're up for any safely-distanced shenanigans! We've got a couple of RC planes we could utilize for some fun.
    My best wishes to you and your husband. Hope the trip to Stead will boost his spirits!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Officially cancelled.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    At 88 I don't know if I can last another year. So many memories. So many races. So many friends. Take.care all.
    Young man, you'll be there in 2021!

    Take good care, Bob, we'll see you next September!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,021

    Default Re: Officially cancelled.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Young man, you'll be there in 2021!

    Take good care, Bob, we'll see you next September!
    Glad that decision is out of the way.

    My daughter would have had to make the decision - kids health or air races.

    I know she would have chosen kids!

    So let's move on to 2021.

    To help RARA and the air teams, they need to think out of the box. Let's create excitement for 2021 now, start posting here and building up towards 2021.

    They should use this unique opportunity to sell their team merchandise as 2020 collectors items.

    Maybe Wayne can support a Reno Air Race storefront here. Anything Reno Air Racing related.

    A hint, do not peddle anything made by that Communist regime that gave us the Kung Fu flu!

    The future of the Reno Air Races is in training.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HR3_2512.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	24810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2928.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	24811
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-26-2020 at 05:12 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Officially cancelled.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Glad that decision is out of the way.

    My daughter would have had to make the decision - kids health or air races.

    I know she would have chosen kids!

    So let's move on to 2021.

    To help RARA and the air teams, they need to think out of the box. Let's create excitement for 2021 now, start posting here and building up towards 2021.

    They should use this unique opportunity to sell their team merchandise as 2020 collectors items.

    Maybe Wayne can support a Reno Air Race storefront here. Anything Reno Air Racing related.

    A hint, do not peddle anything made by that Communist regime that gave us the Kung Fu flu!

    The future of the Reno Air Races is in training.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HR3_2512.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	24810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2928.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	24811
    Clearly those cute lil' muchkins take after their grandmother!

    I'd expect a bit of a down period for a while but yeah, I'd also expect RARA to start building towards 2021 fairly soon. Good news we have a 3-month head start on it.

    I can envision a multitude of marketing and PR opportunities there.

    While it would seem that RARA wouldn't suffer much if any financial impact as a result of cancelling they still have overhead and other factors that must be taken into account. And without the gross revenues from the gate, concessions, etc. it won't be easy.

    Let's all do our part to keep this event on the front burner as much as possible. No idea is too far-fetched.

    And don't hesitate to contact RARA directly with positive feedback about their decision and ideas for 2021 and beyond. I know the staff looks at those. They may not always get back to you but you've planted the seed. That's step one...

    Be Safe Out There, Folks. Need each and every one of you (and ten of your friends!) back next year.
    Last edited by Air Boss; 06-26-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,021

    Default Re: Officially cancelled.....

    Owen,

    For this Sept 16-20

    RARA should make a big online streaming effort and use all the NBC footage from last year.

    Add in some reporting showing the 2021 marketing efforts. Put a face on RARA.

    Daily ads showing 2021 Reno Air Race T-shirts for sale.

    Daily ads for ticket sales.

    Do daily local hotel promos.

    Have some contests.

    Add vendor storys, VOS apparel, the process for designing yearly posters, Scott Slocum and the Bombshell babes, they could even do some pilot interviews :-)

    If this is do right were you the keep the audience interested. No ads or commercial breaks during races.

    This could help add money to the coffers.

    Just some ideas thrown out there.


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Officially cancelled.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Owen,

    For this Sept 16-20

    RARA should make a big online streaming effort and use all the NBC footage from last year.

    Add in some reporting showing the 2021 marketing efforts. Put a face on RARA.

    Daily ads showing 2021 Reno Air Race T-shirts for sale.

    Daily ads for ticket sales.

    Do daily local hotel promos.

    Have some contests.

    Add vendor storys, VOS apparel, the process for designing yearly posters, Scott Slocum and the Bombshell babes, they could even do some pilot interviews :-)

    If this is do right were you the keep the audience interested. No ads or commercial breaks during races.

    This could help add money to the coffers.

    Just some ideas thrown out there.


    Good stuff my friend. I'd encourage you draft a letter to RARA and, after a few weeks or so, send it off to RARA. Not sure what, if anything, they have planned for that two week period (remember, is was PRS for 4 days, off on Sunday, then race week).

    Give them some time to take a break but I'd say some time in early August. I know the office is very short staffed right now and that may not change much so give it some time.

    Like your thinking!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: Officially cancelled.....

    Bummer, just bought our first motor home and was so looking forward to having it out there. Oh well. Next year.

    I’m totally down for some R/C races. I’ll even volunteer pylon judge.

    Lockheed Bob, hang in there. You’ve put in a few years, what’s one more? Did we ever come up with any ideas on the memoirs? I would think that little piece of historical significance would really keep the community occupied and excited. I have a friend in LA that is a studio engineer. He records tons of audiobooks. Im just kicking ideas around.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Officially cancelled.....

    Owen,

    Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if RARA has done what is called a full design-thinking session regarding how to drive support and attendance in the future? I have certainly seen them entertain and bring new ideas to the table but there is a difference between a small group of people (usually insiders) going “should we try…” and a facilitated cross-domain group of folks that are led through a full mapping process of possibilities.

    The concept is to start with a blank slate and a cross-section of the people involved: admin, racers, vendors, volunteers, spectators, local authorities, FAA, etc. From there, the group throws any idea – no matter whether something that has been done for years or something so off the wall it might be easily dismissed. All the options are discussed and mapped (meaning, the group does a walk-through of what it would actually be like) with ultimately, the group having a clear roadmap on how they want to proceed that ensures all the connections and ripples are thought about by the group.

    I have seen this work wonders (as both the facilitator and as a participant) in everything from large scale cultural change in an organization to most recently helping healthcare providers adapt to COVID-19. Having a facilitated, methodical approach typically makes a huge difference in the robustness of the outcomes. Again, I have no doubt that they have done some version of this – just wondering about the depth of the effort and whether they have specifically done it (or plan to) in response to the current crisis.

    On a side note, while I have been quiet up until now, I deeply appreciate your engagement here. There is no doubt about your passion for this event. Thanks for all.

    James

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •