....from the IF1 FB page
    The Reno Air Races and PRS are canceled for this year
    Media Contact:
    Nicole Latva
    775-300-7073
    nicole@foundryideas.com
    2020 STIHL National Championship Air Races Canceled
    Reno Air Racing Association Sets Sights on 2021 Event
    RENO, Nev. (June 26, 2020)– The Reno Air Racing Association has announced the cancellation of the 2020 STIHL National Championship Air Races originally scheduled for Sept. 16–20.
    The Reno Air Racing Association Board of Directors reiterated their principal concern for the safety and health of all involved and in light of continuing uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus and government-imposed restrictions for large scale events has decided to turn all efforts to 2021.
    “This decision was not made lightly. It’s difficult to capture the sadness we feel for our September Family who we won’t have the chance to see this year. However, we need to approach this with safety for all involved as our highest priority,” said Fred Telling, CEO of the Reno Air Racing Association. “We recognize and appreciate the great responsibilities Nevada’s government leaders bear as they weigh health concerns against economic well-being for Nevada as a whole. With the June 24th announcement that the state of Nevada will remain under Phase Two guidelines for the foreseeable future we cannot feasibly move forward with planning our event.”
    Recently, the University of Nevada, Reno conducted an economic impact study of the 2019 STIHL National Championship Air Races which found that the event hosts nearly 70,000 total unique attendees generating over $100 million in total economic impact to the Reno-Tahoe region by non-local visitors. The Reno Air Racing Association remains proud to offer free entry day for military members and veterans as well as inspire the next generation through STEM education giving more than 7,000 students free entry to experience the GRADD-NVBAA STEM Education Discovery Zone at the races each year.
    “We are deeply conscious of the cultural and economic loss to the community due to the cancellation of so many special events this year. We look forward to hosting the 57th STIHL National Championship Air Races Sept. 15–19, 2021 but know we will need the continuing support of our fans and community more than ever,” said Telling.
    According to Tony Logoteta, COO of the Reno Air Racing Association, many considerations were factored in to making the decision to cancel this year’s event. Besides the uncertainty around the state of the pandemic in September and safely hosting a large event in that climate, they took a hard look at the long-term ramifications.
    “Beyond health and safety, our primary focus has to be the long-term viability of this iconic event rather than a high-risk gamble on the current year,” said Logoteta. “It’s been a challenging year for everyone and we have seen the financial effects across all revenue streams. It’s time for us to take a step back and assess our situation so that we can work toward ensuring the future of air racing beginning in 2021.”
    Please visit AirRace.org to learn more.
    there was more to the press release statement, but this pretty much says whats needed...
    Last edited by Lon Moer; 06-25-2020, 08:43 PM.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Re: Officially cancelled.....

At 88 I don't know if I can last another year. So many memories. So many races. So many friends. Take.care all.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
      At 88 I don't know if I can last another year. So many memories. So many races. So many friends. Take.care all.
      If you can make it to next year, I'll buy you a beer! or two. All the money I'm not spending this year I'm saving for 2021.

Comment

I've learned a little more.. apparently the official press release is dated 6/26, so the news wasn't supposed to get out until tomorrow.

Such is life in the social media age...
        remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Oh crap, I'm in the middle of a move to my "forever home" so I managed to miss this!

As I've said before, it's going to be up to us to keep up the interest and build excitement for next year, help garner donations for RARA etc.

There's a nice Amazon.com feature where everything you buy donates a percentage to RARA... I'll look into posting a link

Again, in middle of move, turning 69 in less than a month, been running around like an almost 70 guy trying to keep up with the 29 year old DYNAMO we hired to help me pack up pickup and 5x8 Uhaul with bins boxes and a bed/foundation combo..

Once I get set up in new home, I will dig out all my old video stuff and photos...

Long Live The Reno National Championship Air Races!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
            I've learned a little more.. apparently the official press release is dated 6/26, so the news wasn't supposed to get out until tomorrow.

Such is life in the social media age...
            Interesting, I'm on their press release list and I've nothing on this from them, also, I don't see a link on airrace.org Curious?
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

This is truly interesting in that, airrace.org has nothing about it, I'm on the press release email notification list, I've received nothing..

Where did the original copied message come from ??
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

From what I've just learned, this was not supposed to be public knowledge until tomorrow/today now...

From what I know about public relations and secrets, if you tell a bunch of people something, it will be public knowledge very soon. And I mean VERY soon!!

All things considered... JUST REMEMEMBER YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST lol!!

Sorry I didn't get to "break the story" myself, but dammy, you guys did it for me!! I love this place!!

Anyway, back to what I've been saying, it's going to be up to us to keep the interest up!! This sport has been in trouble before, we can keep it afloat!

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

What was the phone number of that addiction clinic?

September is gonna be rough...

Cheers,

Pete

Comment

Damn. I guess it had to be and between the restrictions and the very real possibility of an anemic crowd, I get it.
                    Yeah, the old DVD's and tapes will get a workout this year.

And Bob, have faith, you'll be going to these long after I am gone!
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Looks like my family and I will be at Stead on one day in September, sitting in lawn chairs and making airplane noises.

Comment

I just had a visual of that!
                        Hmm, I wonder how many of us could cram into the reserve section (they stand all year) and do that? Would make a great video of support for RARA.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Fred said -$300,000, and I read that 70,000 unique fans attended last year. Bumping ticket prices a few dollars can combat this pretty well. If you transfer already purchased tickets to 2021, you get to keep the current price. Seems like a simple way to handle some of the deficit...
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I guess we have to watch the protesters tear down statues,burn buildings, looting &taking over city blocks. Of course the NV Governor hasn't helped matters in all this with his new policies on the Corona Virus that took effect at midnight June26.
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Formal notice at RARA website;

https://airrace.org/ticket-options/
                              remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Working...
                              X