X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Officially cancelled.....

Originally posted by Fawkes View Post
    Owen,

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know if RARA has done what is called a full design-thinking session regarding how to drive support and attendance in the future? I have certainly seen them entertain and bring new ideas to the table but there is a difference between a small group of people (usually insiders) going “should we try…” and a facilitated cross-domain group of folks that are led through a full mapping process of possibilities.

The concept is to start with a blank slate and a cross-section of the people involved: admin, racers, vendors, volunteers, spectators, local authorities, FAA, etc. From there, the group throws any idea – no matter whether something that has been done for years or something so off the wall it might be easily dismissed. All the options are discussed and mapped (meaning, the group does a walk-through of what it would actually be like) with ultimately, the group having a clear roadmap on how they want to proceed that ensures all the connections and ripples are thought about by the group.

I have seen this work wonders (as both the facilitator and as a participant) in everything from large scale cultural change in an organization to most recently helping healthcare providers adapt to COVID-19. Having a facilitated, methodical approach typically makes a huge difference in the robustness of the outcomes. Again, I have no doubt that they have done some version of this – just wondering about the depth of the effort and whether they have specifically done it (or plan to) in response to the current crisis.

On a side note, while I have been quiet up until now, I deeply appreciate your engagement here. There is no doubt about your passion for this event. Thanks for all.

James

James,
    Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully my comments add some color and insight from time to time. And I apprecaite folks understanding that while I can and will share what I can when I can, there are some things I simply cannot disclose or feel comfortable speculating on.

I'm not aware of RARA conducting a formal non-linear design-think session, but it's possible they have in the past. You are correct about RARA having certain types of round-table discussions with both internal and some external participants. As you are no doubt aware, often times those types of sessions result in a group-think mentality where the outcome can be predetermined and consuming ones own dog food. I spent 6 years facilitating 3-week long leadership training seminars for the USPS, including the Ken Blanchard "One Minute Manager" type philosophies. Try teaching old, gray-haired postmasters who are 2 years from retirement the "new and improved" leadership process. Good luck with that...

I am in the process of formulating my annual "After Action Report' (something I do for all my shows), which will be quite different this year! I intend to proffer up several items for discussion and, as great minds think alike, I intend to put something like this forward to the Board.

Thanks again for your input and kind words, James. Much appreciated.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
      James,
      Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully my comments add some color and insight from time to time. And I apprecaite folks understanding that while I can and will share what I can when I can, there are some things I simply cannot disclose or feel comfortable speculating on.

I'm not aware of RARA conducting a formal non-linear design-think session, but it's possible they have in the past. You are correct about RARA having certain types of round-table discussions with both internal and some external participants. As you are no doubt aware, often times those types of sessions result in a group-think mentality where the outcome can be predetermined and consuming ones own dog food. I spent 6 years facilitating 3-week long leadership training seminars for the USPS, including the Ken Blanchard "One Minute Manager" type philosophies. Try teaching old, gray-haired postmasters who are 2 years from retirement the "new and improved" leadership process. Good luck with that...

I am in the process of formulating my annual "After Action Report' (something I do for all my shows), which will be quite different this year! I intend to proffer up several items for discussion and, as great minds think alike, I intend to put something like this forward to the Board.

Thanks again for your input and kind words, James. Much appreciated.
      Owen,

Should have guessed you'd be fully familiar with the methodology. And agreed on the when and where it is effective based on audience, compelling need, etc. Sometimes it can be the whole teaching a pig to sing effort. It was interesting doing this recently with healthcare leaders - a group pretty notorious for embracing the new in terms of science and medicine but with deep roots in the "how" part of the equation. Once a compelling need came along, they were eager to get to the table. My sense (from a complete outsider's perspective) is that RARA has already broken free of some of the "this is how we have done it..." mentality. Again - outsider here so take that observation and $5 and go buy a coffee somewhere. Better yet, donate the $5 to RARA.

In the end, I want the races to not only survive but thrive and I do truly believe there are answers on how to make that happen. Some, we already know and understand. Some may yet to have seen the light of day. Somewhere in the back of my mind is some type of idea that embraces low cost, non-racing events throughout the year that ultimately support September. More than just having a booth/tent at other airshows. Instead, something that is specific to the generation of interest in our collective passion. I love the core of the ideas that have been bounced around here at AAFO - something that allows for good times to be shared as well as some grassroots work on driving interest. Good energy is never wasted energy.

Here's to your AAR (you sound like a fellow wargamer!) and my hope is that it catches the right eye/ear. If they bite and you need a co-facilitator that will relentlessly push the group away from its comfort zone, you know where to find me.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Fawkes View Post
        Owen,

Should have guessed you'd be fully familiar with the methodology. And agreed on the when and where it is effective based on audience, compelling need, etc. Sometimes it can be the whole teaching a pig to sing effort. It was interesting doing this recently with healthcare leaders - a group pretty notorious for embracing the new in terms of science and medicine but with deep roots in the "how" part of the equation. Once a compelling need came along, they were eager to get to the table. My sense (from a complete outsider's perspective) is that RARA has already broken free of some of the "this is how we have done it..." mentality. Again - outsider here so take that observation and $5 and go buy a coffee somewhere. Better yet, donate the $5 to RARA.

In the end, I want the races to not only survive but thrive and I do truly believe there are answers on how to make that happen. Some, we already know and understand. Some may yet to have seen the light of day. Somewhere in the back of my mind is some type of idea that embraces low cost, non-racing events throughout the year that ultimately support September. More than just having a booth/tent at other airshows. Instead, something that is specific to the generation of interest in our collective passion. I love the core of the ideas that have been bounced around here at AAFO - something that allows for good times to be shared as well as some grassroots work on driving interest. Good energy is never wasted energy.

Here's to your AAR (you sound like a fellow wargamer!) and my hope is that it catches the right eye/ear. If they bite and you need a co-facilitator that will relentlessly push the group away from its comfort zone, you know where to find me.

James
        Based on my interaction with RARA Board I tend to agree...they have broken away from the old guard mentality and are open to all manner of things. For example, I can't go into detail here but suffice it to say if the decision was to move forward with this years event, it's very likely it would have looked much different from years past. And my gut tells me that sort of thinking will survive.

Honestly, I have several things rolling around my grey-matter about how to update the event, increase revenues, expand attendance, media presence, etc. Now, all of those may not necessarily fall in my wheel-house but owing to your point about design-thinking, what the heck. Breaking the "goal-drected thinking" of a group can be challenging but if everyone is aiming at the same target, you end up where everyone else is aiming...or missing the target all together. It's entirely possible one of those may be worse than the other.

And yes...I know where you live! Thanks again, James. Sincerely appreciate your thoughts.
        Owen Ashurst

Comment

Owen, it's just good to have you here! It reminds me of being at RENO....
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            Owen, it's just good to have you here! It reminds me of being at RENO....
            Thanks, Wayne. And thanks for keeping this sandbox alive. It's just what the Dr. ordered and theraputic as heck...especially during these times.
            Owen Ashurst

Comment

Sorry posted to wrong thread.

Deleted
              Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-30-2020, 08:53 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

Comment

Working...
              X