Thread: Sighting

Default Sighting

Friday, 6-12-20, approx. 16:45-17:00, heard a big radial above Monterey Bay in the Santa Cruz area. Obviously, went to look and spied a rather "small" airframe (looked to be a Bearcat) moving at a pretty good clip.

Anybody out there have any info?

Default Re: Sighting

I have had similar sightings in the past. Same radial powered plane going to and from Napa airport. One time it was low enough to ID. It appeared to be a Nanchang CJ-6.

Marina Municipal (KOAR) has a company that does CJ-6 work. A friend of mine takes his Nanchang there to get his annual done or when he needs parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Nuts View Post
    I have had similar sightings in the past. Same radial powered plane going to and from Napa airport. One time it was low enough to ID. It appeared to be a Nanchang CJ-6.
    There is a Nanchang that is at Schellville.

Will

Thanks for the replies. Did some research on the CJ-6; it spec'd the top speed at 180-200. It COULD be a CJ, but the UFO I saw had a shorter/stubbier fuselage and was moving a lot quicker; say 300-350 mph. Reason for asking is Bearcats are really rare and to see "something" that sure looked the part really got my curiosity up. And the sound sure was robust.

Inquiring mind is curious.