Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: THE FUTURE IS/OF UNLIMITED? WHAT'S IT LOOK LIKE? THOUGHTS?

Default Re: THE FUTURE IS/OF UNLIMITED? WHAT'S IT LOOK LIKE? THOUGHTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    I understand the generation gap. You have to keep in mind the development of cell phones/electronic devices have reshaped modern society as well as captured the interest in of every man, woman, and child beyond what anyone ever imagined. The times of mechanical beasts being the coolest thing in the world have been replaced by touch screens and the internet. However, now that modern electronics have just become part of everyone’s world, the fascination of them is tapering off and interest in mechanical things has been picking back up. The Sport class is the perfect example. It’s brought in so much new blood to the sport. IMO, more so than any class in the last couple decades. The Jets are on that list too but, the Sports are more of a bridge from the past to the future. They are accessible to pilots and owners that might not have a spare 3million to just to purchase a stock bronze racer, let alone race it. Modern designs, materials, and methods are now more interesting to the next generation and competitive nature will always exist. That’s just human dna. Now that a generation or two are not quite so fascinated by the simple existence of tiny screens, they are turning to the next things/returning to the old things to make everything better. It has been an unprecedented lull in “new” Unlimiteds but with several new projects currently underway, I’m hoping we are on the precipice of a new era. If they do make it to Reno by 2023, I’d like to think the old timers would like to come out and show the “kids” how it’s done. Those kids will love to show the old timers just how old they are.
    Your Lips to God's Ear, my friend. Yes, the Sport Class is cutting edge right now and that's a welcome thing. Amazing speeds from those guys in the Gold but all around an impressive class up and down the line.

I'm just damn glad we're racing in every class. My question is whether this "lull" is unprecidented or just a bump in the road. Hoping it's the latter...but in the mean time let's be the best ambassadors we can for the event as a whole!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Quote Originally Posted by morss View Post
    i remember racing a stock t28 an qualed over 300
    dave
    Daaaaaave! We used to chat all the time, it's soo good to see you here!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

I hope the Unlimited class grows in the future as the Sport Class racers realize they need an Unlimited size aircraft to go significantly faster than they are going now.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Your Lips to God's Ear, my friend. Yes, the Sport Class is cutting edge right now and that's a welcome thing. Amazing speeds from those guys in the Gold but all around an impressive class up and down the line.

I'm just damn glad we're racing in every class. My question is whether this "lull" is unprecidented or just a bump in the road. Hoping it's the latter...but in the mean time let's be the best ambassadors we can for the event as a whole!
    An unprecedented bump in the road? ****s pretty F’d up right now. The talk the few decades has been “where they gonna get more warbirds to chop up into racers?” Those answers are finally starting to see the light of day with Tsunami and the growing Yak racing community. So, with that in mind, perhaps we are on the downside of the speed bump? COVID is screwing everything up so I guess the world is in a holding pattern for this year but, I truly feel new life in the races compared to say 5 years ago when everyone was very much questioning the survival of the event. The changes RARA have made seem pretty damn solid. The door is wide open for a new Unlimited champ. Sports are stronger than ever. All classes are still healthy for that matter. Every year the NCAR is up in the rarified air of the must see events in the aviation world. The safety protocols are world renowned. Reno has its **** together, we just need more money to give the teams. That seems to be the only mountain of struggle still left to climb.

Decades ago, the NDBA (National Drag Boat Association) held its one and only ever event at Lake Lahontan out in Silver Springs, NV. The story as I know it was that a bunch of APBA officials had shown up and got the NDBA officials HAMMERED on Saturday night. The next day, the NDBA boys, with hangovers in head, forgot to bring the timing lights. One the racers, a local guy by the name of Steve Hess, owner/driver of the BAH The Sting, drove a couple of them back to get them and also added 20k of his own money to the purse. We some big money guys with attitudes like that. I know it’s a bit apples to oranges but, it’s a nice thought.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!