John Penny Talking About the Rare Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Penny Talking About the Rare Bear

I sure enjoy technical dives like this on the racers. Wish there were more of them!

https://youtu.be/VA2oP2SZprg
    Random Air Blog

Re: John Penny Talking About the Rare Bear

That's great stuff. It would be fantastic if someone could get John to do this again, now that it's almost 10 years since that video.

And, who was the pilot that burned the engine up in 2006? It's been brought up several times on this board (that incident about someone forgetting to turn on the ADI), but never a name mentioned.

Comment

In the book "Racing For The Gold" on page 169 it states "Ron Buccarelli qualified Rare Bear at Reno in 2006; however, engine problems kept it from actually qualifying".

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
        In the book "Racing For The Gold" on page 169 it states "Ron Buccarelli qualified Rare Bear at Reno in 2006; however, engine problems kept it from actually qualifying".
        Interesting. Wonder why it's been such a "secret" around here whenever that incident is brought up, which it has at least half a dozen times that I can think of. Those that obviously know something always say "the pilot" forgot to ...... Unfortunately, by saying "the pilot", I assumed it was John Penney, as I wasn't aware he was not involved with the team in 2006. So being secretive actually does more harm than good. There must be some bad blood or there were some bridges burned around that time. It's not about smearing one's name or airing dirty laundry. We're a very small community that seems to be getting smaller day by day. We can discuss good and bad things like adults and professionals, despite the odd troll or two on occasion. Anyway, thanks Plane Nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
          Interesting. Wonder why it's been such a "secret" around here whenever that incident is brought up, which it has at least half a dozen times that I can think of. Those that obviously know something always say "the pilot" forgot to ...... Unfortunately, by saying "the pilot", I assumed it was John Penney, as I wasn't aware he was not involved with the team in 2006. So being secretive actually does more harm than good. There must be some bad blood or there were some bridges burned around that time. It's not about smearing one's name or airing dirty laundry. We're a very small community that seems to be getting smaller day by day. We can discuss good and bad things like adults and professionals, despite the odd troll or two on occasion. Anyway, thanks Plane Nuts.
          That isn't who it was. If you want to be depressed, search for a thread titled "Setting the Record Straight". Think twice before you tug on that thread though.

Comment

Some of my best memories at RENO are with the Rare Bear and Lyle Shelton. My involvement came at the time the airplane was sitting totally defeated in a hangar at Stead. I was in a position to offer my services as "Publicist" for the team and Sharon Coates and I set about to get some $$ in the kitty so Lyle could get the airplane flying again.

We, and I mean all of us, the fans who love the sport made that happen!

Suffice it to say, when real money came after Rod Lewis acquired the airplane.. the team had some of its absolute highest moments, which, unfortunately, turned into some of their worst moments.

It is hard to say what really happened, who broke what, when... I made the mistake at the time of siding with the crew and frankly, made an ass of myself stating things as fact that I truly had no basis to do so..

Let's just leave this one for the history books..

John Penny deserved better treatment than I gave him!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by PowerByPackard View Post
              That isn't who it was. If you want to be depressed, search for a thread titled "Setting the Record Straight". Think twice before you tug on that thread though.
              I remember reading that thread. I posted early on before it went way south and Wayne set the rules down on non-combatants. It's not depressing to me, just a shame. It reminded me of my sprint car racing days. The driver sees it one way. The crew a different way. The crew chief, yet another. The owner his way. And the fans their own way. I still like to read about the Bear, her history, the glory days, the bad years, and all that's in between. Waiting on the Resurrection!

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                We're a very small community that seems to be getting smaller day by day. We can discuss good and bad things like adults and professionals, despite the odd troll or two on occasion.
                It is a small community. I believe both Ron and John are members here, which is part of what makes this board so awesome. Its not every sport that can you interact with some of the main players.
                Random Air Blog

Comment

Didn't someone say that it was later found to be a Metallurgical problem with the Valve seats?

...at any rate, if one goes back in time and reads some of the posts from 2006; this was a very active and happening Forum. Who said there's no such thing as time travel?!

Thanks for keeping those up Wayne!

Comment

I really enjoyed this with John talking about Rare Bear, He is a class act. Very interesting his descriptions of flying the Bear and giving credit to his crew. I am also a modeler too . I love this forum keep it up. More, More air racing adventures please.

Mark G. Ehlers
                    Mark G. Ehlers

Comment

Working...
                    X