T-MINUS 1:20:00 And Counting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: T-MINUS 1:20:00 And Counting

On the "Atlas" missile there was 2 what we called Vernier Rocket motors that burned kerosene from the main fuel tank & was used to stabilize the missile in attitude & yaw during the boost stage of the flight. The nozzle rotated as needed.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
      On the "Atlas" missile there was 2 what we called Vernier Rocket motors that burned kerosene from the main fuel tank & was used to stabilize the missile in attitude & yaw during the boost stage of the flight. The nozzle rotated as needed.
      Bob,
      Was the thrust vectoring of these Vernier Rocket Motors (not rockets?), controlled by auto-guidance of the Atlas? Were they used on manned missions and if so, was there an over-ride feature for the astronauts?
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Owen. The vernier engines were made by NA Rocketdyne & were preprogrammed to produce 1,000lbs of thrust for 5.5 minutes during the initial boost flight. There is a good writeup about it on the internet under Atlas Vernier engines.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Owen. The vernier engines were made by NA Rocketdyne & were preprogrammed to produce 1,000lbs of thrust for 5.5 minutes during the initial boost flight. There is a good writeup about it on the internet under Atlas Vernier engines.
          Thank you, sir. Rest assured, I'll check that out!
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I was at Vandenburg & the Cape with Convair on the "Atlas" Missile launches from 1955/1961 & then on to the "Titan" Missle with Martinuntil I joined Lockheed Missile & Space Company from 1966/1992. I also was on Launch Crews & Backup Crew on many of the good & the bad Launches. I guess I will have to write this all down
            We have Huntsville not too far from us, and have visited several times. I believe there are a few Atlas there.

How did you folks get that thing sorted before they put a man on top of it? ...I understand it was not always the
            most reliable booster?? The Saturns(as far as launches) had a perfect record.

Comment

John. One of the 1st problems was that the engines were flush with the bottom skirting & when it was launched the flames would be sucked up inside the skirting & burn up all the wirng. Along came Von Braun & said to cut about 6 to 8 feet off the bottom skirting & let the engines hang out there. Of course the engineering boys said it wouldn't look nice. Anyway that got us off the ground & as the missile pitched over to go down range it started to porpoise & self destruct itself. Once again Von Braun & asked what we had inside the LOX/Fuel Tanks & of course the answer was nothing so he said to put baffling inside the tanks to prevent sloshing. After that we started to have good launches. One that was stripped down weightwise left the launch pad & across the Atlantic across Europe & landed in the Indian Ocean. One other one the whole "Atlas" was into orbit where President Eisenhower made a Xmas speech. Enough for now.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Thank you Bob,
                that is new information that I did not know; including Von Braun's contributions. I'm sure I've seen one of the old films of the "Atlas" breaking up after launch. To have been involved in that program is quite remarkable.

Comment

Working...
                X