Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T-MINUS 1:20:00 And Counting

Default Re: T-MINUS 1:20:00 And Counting

I was at Vandenburg & the Cape with Convair on the "Atlas" Missile launches from 1955/1961 & then on to the "Titan" Missle with Martinuntil I joined Lockheed Missile & Space Company from 1966/1992. I also was on Launch Crews & Backup Crew on many of the good & the bad Launches. I guess I will have to write this all down
    Lockheed Bob

Please do!

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    I was at Vandenburg & the Cape with Convair on the "Atlas" Missile launches from 1955/1961 & then on to the "Titan" Missle with Martinuntil I joined Lockheed Missile & Space Company from 1966/1992. I also was on Launch Crews & Backup Crew on many of the good & the bad Launches. I guess I will have to write this all down
    Yes...by all means! Or maybe better yet, sit down with someone and record (video or just audio) the timeline of your professional experience. That would be priceless stuff, Bob.

When I was a Docent at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, one of my fellow Docent's on the Saturday morning crew work with Werner von Braun at the Cape in the 60's. I'd show up every Sat AM about 90min prior to the Museum opening, two large Starbucks in hand, and the two of us would sit and talk. Well...he'd talk...I'd shut up and listen.

I'd really encourage you to give it a whirl, Bob. It would likely mean a lot to a lot of folks.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Maybe we could take turns, facetime and build it for him?

What I struggled to understand about the Gemini Titan system is how they flew it without stablizing(sp) fins?

The Saturn 1, Saturn 1B and even the Saturn V had Fins. Also the Mercury/Redstone.

On the "Atlas" missile there was 2 what we called Vernier Rocket motors that burned kerosene from the main fuel tank & was used to stabilize the missile in attitude & yaw during the boost stage of the flight. The nozzle rotated as needed.
    Lockheed Bob

On the "Atlas" missile there was 2 what we called Vernier Rocket motors that burned kerosene from the main fuel tank & was used to stabilize the missile in attitude & yaw during the boost stage of the flight. The nozzle rotated as needed.
    Bob,
    Was the thrust vectoring of these Vernier Rocket Motors (not rockets?), controlled by auto-guidance of the Atlas? Were they used on manned missions and if so, was there an over-ride feature for the astronauts?
    Owen Ashurst

Owen. The vernier engines were made by NA Rocketdyne & were preprogrammed to produce 1,000lbs of thrust for 5.5 minutes during the initial boost flight. There is a good writeup about it on the internet under Atlas Vernier engines.
    Lockheed Bob

Owen. The vernier engines were made by NA Rocketdyne & were preprogrammed to produce 1,000lbs of thrust for 5.5 minutes during the initial boost flight. There is a good writeup about it on the internet under Atlas Vernier engines.
    Thank you, sir. Rest assured, I'll check that out!
    Owen Ashurst

We have Huntsville not too far from us, and have visited several times. I believe there are a few Atlas there.

How did you folks get that thing sorted before they put a man on top of it? ...I understand it was not always the
    most reliable booster?? The Saturns(as far as launches) had a perfect record.